Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tomothy94
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    CompMan2012's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

    Default Build quality

    I'm liking this phone a lot. Everyday I'm finding more and more useful features, but how much more would it cost to put a metal band around the phone? The fake back is OK feeling but dang! I want to see something like the razor HD Maxx.

    Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Build quality

    Quote Originally Posted by CompMan2012 View Post
    I'm liking this phone a lot. Everyday I'm finding more and more useful features, but how much more would it cost to put a metal band around the phone? The fake back is OK feeling but dang! I want to see something like the razor HD Maxx.

    Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app
    What do you mean? Are you looking for a border case?
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Build quality

    He means that samsung should have put a metal band around the phone instead of the plastic shiny border they currently have. I really agree, it would have felt more solid, however I must say the GS5 is really comfortable in my hand. Saying that, I had to use my old HTC One X earlier to get an old number, and I realised how great that phone sits in my hand. Still the GS5 is great. Regarding a metal band, I have bought one of these from Ebay:

    it's only 0.7 MM thick so really shouldn't add any thickness to the phone
    I've got the red one I think it's pretty nice0.7mm Metal Bumper Case Cover Tempered Glass for Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900 G900F | eBay
    debdroid1a likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Build quality

    The answer is, not much. Let's say it cost $.25 a piece, installed, per handset in USD (no idea...I would guess this is a bit high but not too much). So, assuming around 12.5 million handsets in the next six months, that's about $3.1 million in more cost, most likely passed on to customers.

    But have you considered the possibility that they didn't want to do it for a good reason? The truth is that the plaster band absorbs more shock from a side impact, whereas metal would transfer most of it. Given the size of the bezel, I bet that part of the reason was because it made the screen more survivable. So, yeah, if you drop it, the band will dent. On the other hand, there's a chance that the screen won't shatter.

    Having said that, I wish Sammy would've used metal so that I didn't have to type this in forums every time someone suggests that they should have used metal and that the only reason they didn't is because they were being cheap. Who knows? Maybe that IS the reason I guess.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Build quality

    I've never had issue with all the Samsung's I've bought.

    I'll be honest the build quality and few features is why I bought the S5 over the M8. I had the M8 but had to return it because issues Android File Transfer not being recognized on my iMac (2013). It was confirmed that you just need to restart it while plugged in.

    Anyways, I was supposed to buy the M8 this afternoon but this issue with loose buttons scared me, I hate returning because OCD. LOL

    The reviews were right about the Finger Print Scanner, a PITA! I never liked the S series but I'm also bored.

    SHIFT_pro s5
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Build quality

    Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    But have you considered the possibility that they didn't want to do it for a good reason? The truth is that the plaster band absorbs more shock from a side impact, whereas metal would transfer most of it. Given the size of the bezel, I bet that part of the reason was because it made the screen more survivable. So, yeah, if you drop it, the band will dent. On the other hand, there's a chance that the screen won't shatter.
    is this why I'm always seeing ppl using iPhones with broken glass? it's metal band?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Build quality

    I don't have a problem with the build quality of Samsung devices. They are durable and stylish. I don't like uni body phones becuase they dont give you access to the battery, so you can't replace it out carry a spare around with you.

    Posted from my galaxy note 3
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    CompMan2012's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

    Default Re: Build quality

    Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    I've never had issue with all the Samsung's I've bought.

    I'll be honest the build quality and few features is why I bought the S5 over the M8. I had but had to return it because issues Android File Transfer not being recognized on my iMac (2013). It was confirmed that you just need to restart it while plugged in.

    Anyways, I was supposed to buy the M8 this afternoon but this issue with loose buttons scared me, I hate returning because OCD. LOL

    The reviews were right about the Finger Print Scanner, a PITA! I never liked the South series but I'm also bored.

    SHIFT_pro s5
    I had the M8 before the s5. The front metal bezel is glued on and it was peeling off after a few days use. I returned it to t mobile for the S5. It's still a solid phone. I like the s5 better. They will kill it with a metal phone.

    Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    CompMan2012's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

    Default Re: Build quality

    Quote Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
    I don't have a problem with the build quality of Samsung devices. They are durable and stylish. I don't like uni body phones becuase they dont give you access to the battery, so you can't replace it out carry a spare around with you.

    Posted from my galaxy note 3
    Great point!

    Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Build quality

    Quote Originally Posted by here4kids View Post
    is this why I'm always seeing ppl using iPhones with broken glass? it's metal band?
    You probably see more people with broken iPhones because more people have iPhones. But, yes, I believe that the iPhone screen is more fragile laterally. Just an opinion, tho.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Build quality

    A metal band around the phone may interfere with your reception

    -Sent from Tapatalk
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    CompMan2012's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

    Default Re: Build quality

    The back feels really good and the screen is beautiful, just needs a metal band and this phone will be close to perfect on the build quality side

    Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Build quality

    Quote Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
    A metal band around the phone may interfere with your reception

    -Sent from Tapatalk
    Or you can just make the metal band part of the antenna like the iPhone does.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Build quality

    Personally I really like the build. It feels comfortable and solid in the hand. The back actually looks really nice to me (I have shimmering white) and where the edge of my iPhone would scratch easily, if the band on the S5 scratches I doubt I'll even notice it.

    An added bonus, it fell out of my pocket at the gym today and not even a mark. ☺

    Sent from my SM-G900F using AC Forums mobile app
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Build quality

    I haven't got my S5 yet. it should be here in a couple days. but I must admit when the S5 was revealed I was rather relieved when it was still plastic construction. I must probably be in the minority though.

    the reason is I had an iPhone 5 and briefly an HTC One. The were both lovely phones, and I really can appreciate the difference of the "feel" that the metal brings to the device. However, I always worried where to put my phone down so it wouldn't get scratched etc, and eventually both ended up in a case which renders the slim and sleek designs of the phones pointless. My iPhone 5 in particular ended up with lots of the black finish missing, and lots of marks on corners etc.

    My S4 on the other hand has been plonked all sorts of places and I haven't worried about being overly gentle when putting it down places, and I've just sold it after 7 months use (to pay off a contract) in very nearly mint condition. So the "cheap" plastic finish definitely has it's advantages in my opinion.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Build quality

    Am I the only one that puts his S5 in a case? Yes I am careful with my phone, no I haven't dropped it yet....but I swear if I took my phone out of its case, I would drop it. My case is a UAG, black and clear.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Build quality

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jackson View Post
    Am I the only one that puts his S5 in a case? Yes I am careful with my phone, no I haven't dropped it yet....but I swear if I took my phone out of its case, I would drop it. My case is a UAG, black and clear.
    I'm sure your not the only one that puts a case on your S5. I do use a case on mine as well, being that I used the AT&T Next to get the S5 and I want to keep in a pristine condition for 12 month before I'm eligible for the AT&T Next again and get the S6.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Build quality

    The only person I have ever known to have a cracked android phone is a buddy of mine that was going to get a case soon....then didn't. and then dropped it. I love the slim design of the S5, but I'll be damned if I am going to f**k it up
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Build quality

    Agreed. I'm not going to take my chances. I even drop my phones even when it's in the case but it always lands on carpet and i'm not taking my chances either. Right now I ordered a Spigen Neo Hybrid case and a Glas.t nano slim, so I am waiting to get them in the mail (hopefully this week). But in the mean time I'll have to be very careful when using it.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Build quality

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jackson View Post
    Am I the only one that puts his S5 in a case? Yes I am careful with my phone, no I haven't dropped it yet....but I swear if I took my phone out of its case, I would drop it. My case is a UAG, black and clear.
    I have mine in a flip cover s view case. It helps preventing the grease from your face getting onto the screen while talking

    -Sent from Tapatalk
  21. #21  
    HawaiiD's Avatar

    Posts
    1,069 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,089 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

    Default Re: Build quality

    I am not a fan of the cheap build especially that it cost more than my Z1s on T-mobile.
    and another thing I can't believe how heavy/laggy Touch Wiz UI makes a phone feel.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    CompMan2012's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

    Default Re: Build quality

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveW888 View Post
    Personally I really like the build. It feels comfortable and solid in the hand. The back actually looks really nice to me (I have shimmering white) and where the edge of my iPhone would scratch easily, if the band on the S5 scratches I doubt I'll even notice it.

    An added bonus, it fell out of my pocket at the gym today and not even a mark. ☺

    Sent from my SM-G900F using AC Forums mobile app
    That plastic chips and turns white. FYI, Any phone that falls on the ground will have some sort of blemish. I'm just talking about looks. I'm not worried about dropping the phone because I never do. The price I pay for this phone warrants a better build.

    Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    CompMan2012's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

    Default Re: Build quality

    A metal S5 would of killed the competition. There's talks about a premium s5 in the near future. Hope it's true but it will kind of suck because I just dropped 700 in this one and I'll probably buy a metal one if it becomes available.

    Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

Similar Threads

  1. What I have learned about Samsung quality control
    By willypguy in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-09-2014, 10:29 PM
  2. Warning: LG G2 Quality Issue
    By kasperkyd in forum LG G2
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-19-2014, 08:46 AM
  3. This build is for developer purposes only...
    By raicahoka in forum HTC One Rooting, ROMs & Hacks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-19-2014, 06:59 AM
  4. Which of these cases is higher quality?
    By CannedBullets in forum Samsung Galaxy S5 Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-18-2014, 07:04 PM
  5. What was last jelly bean build number...
    By mawil1013 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2014, 06:14 PM

Posting Permissions