Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FZDolfan
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why does LTE notification stay on while on Wifi (Verizon)?

Unlike my Note 3 the WiFi enabled doesn't disable the LTE signal from showing. Obviously its not using any data but any specific reason? I disabled a lot of apps including the Caller Name ID. If it's normal than no big deal but I'm just nor used to seeing both.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why does LTE notification stay on while on Wifi (Verizon)?-1397958708400.jpg  
  2. Best Answer
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
    It's normal for Verizon phone .
    That's how mine looks now that I disabled Caller Name ID. Before I did that, the 4G was lit up as bright as the WiFi icon, 24/7, and periodically showed activity, even while WiFi was active.

I wouldn't have even found my way to this thread if my 4G was grayed out like that before, but it never was. The one who posted that he checked running apps and found it was the visual voicemail made me check every Verizon app's settings.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Stock!

Default Re: LTE stays on while on Wifi (Verizon)

It's normal, the same notification icon appeared on my G2 and Droid DNA.

Posted via Android Central App

Not sure on that. The LTE symbol doesn't show up when on WiFi for me. I'm on US Cellular tho

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

The 4Glte icon is dimmed which means it's not operational. Same on my phone, don't worry.

The panda has spoken
    the panda has spoken
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by dadathepanda View Post
    The 4Glte icon is dimmed which means it's not operational. Same on my phone, don't worry.

The panda has spoken
    Quote Originally Posted by bespinct View Post
    It's normal, the same notification icon appeared on my G2 and Droid DNA.

I figured as much. I'm just not used to it on Samsung devices.

Thanks.

Same thing on my m8.

Sent from my busa!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I turned off Mobile Data and the 4G icon still appears with WiFi on and off. Its grayed out but its still an oddity that I'm not used to.

On AT&T mine does the same thing, no mobile data used when wifi is connected so no big deal... did have me concerned at first though :-)

ROM
    MIK

I'm having the same problem on AT&T. But, it is using mobile data as you can see the symbol change as it downloads data every so often.

Why does LTE notification stay on while on Wifi (Verizon)?-s5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Txchas View Post
    I'm having the same problem on AT&T. But, it is using mobile data as you can see the symbol change as it downloads data every so often.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s5.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	251.9 KB 
ID:	124070
    Does AT&T allow that circuit that essentially pools both 4G service and WiFi to speed things up? I know Verizon doesn't. If that's allowed on AT&T you need to shut it off or you'll be burning through data like a drunken sailor regardless of whether you're on WiFi or not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s5.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	251.9 KB 
ID:	124070
    Is this when you send or receive a MMS message (picture)? That's normal if so.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

ROM
    MIK

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    Does AT&T allow that circuit that essentially pools both 4G service and WiFi to speed things up? I know Verizon doesn't. If that's allowed on AT&T you need to shut it off or you'll be burning through data like a drunken sailor regardless of whether you're on WiFi or not.
    AT&T does allow it, the Smart network switch, but I have it turned off. Also, I am not sending or receiving MMS when it happens. It has been staying on all the time for the last few days. Most of the data is going through Wifi, but some is coming through 4G.

AT&T does allow it, the Smart network switch, but I have it turned off. Also, I am not sending or receiving MMS when it happens. It has been staying on all the time for the last few days. Most of the data is going through Wifi, but some is coming through 4G.
    Same thing is happening with me. I just bought 2 s5 actives. One shows just the wifi emblem, the other shows wifi and the 4g lte emblem and both appear to be lit up. Clearly something isn't right.

EDIT: Visual voice mail was the culprit. I went looking through my running apps, noticed that one (which I don't use anyway),turned it off and immediately the LTE emblem disappeared.
    Last edited by Harry_Yambag; 06-24-2014 at 09:37 PM.

For me it was the Caller Name ID (S5 on Verizon)

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Unlike my Note 3 the WiFi enabled doesn't disable the LTE signal from showing. Obviously its not using any data but any specific reason? I disabled a lot of apps including the Caller Name ID. If it's normal than no big deal but I'm just nor used to seeing both.

Actually the 4g is disabled.

The grey symbol only means that 4g is available but NOT in use. WiFi automatically disables 4g to minimize wasting $$$$
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off/Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on/WiFi Data ON

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    Actually the 4g is disabled.

The grey symbol only means that 4g is available but NOT in use. WiFi automatically disables 4g to minimize wasting $$$$
    The 4G is NOT necessarily disabled. On my S5, the 4G was ALWAYS lit up (never grayed), and the first few weeks I had the phone I used more data than I ever have in an entire month.
    The transfer arrows under the WiFi and 4G would often be active simultaneously.
    For me it was Verizon's Caller Name ID. For someone else it was the Visual Voicemail. Chances are it's a carrier app (those don't use WiFi).
    But don't tell people that when WiFi is on, that 4G is automatically disabled, because that's simply not true.

It shows because it is letting you know that you are in an LTE area, even with data turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFL3TCH3R View Post
    It shows because it is letting you know that you are in an LTE area, even with data turned off.

Before I disabled caller name ID, 4G was ALWAYS lit up just as bright as WiFi, and the arrows below both would show activity. Since I disabled the CNID, 4G is now present but grayed out and shows no activity when WiFi is connected.
    4G WAS on simultaneously with WiFi, now it's not. Other posts in this thread confirm that this was happening in some cases.

Repeatedly stressing your point does not change facts and make you right.

Quote Originally Posted by FZDolfan View Post
    Before I disabled caller name ID, 4G was ALWAYS lit up just as bright as WiFi, and the arrows below both would show activity. Since I disabled the CNID, 4G is now present but grayed out and shows no activity when WiFi is connected.
    4G WAS on simultaneously with WiFi, now it's not. Other posts in this thread confirm that this was happening in some cases.

Repeatedly stressing your point does not change facts and make you right.

So why are you getting so up tight that I was stating something basic? Like wow, first world problems "oh no my 4G still shows my life is over."

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why does LTE notification stay on while on Wifi (Verizon)?-2014-08-17-18.34.12.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by AKFL3TCH3R View Post
    So why are you getting so up tight that I was stating something basic? Like wow, first world problems "oh no my 4G still shows my life is over."

Because you were giving misinformation. WiFi does not "automatically" disable 4G. If any Verizon apps that use data are running in the background, you will eat through data without knowing why. Verizon apps ONLY run on mobile data. They will not use WiFi.
    Your "basic" information was wrong. It's not a matter of the 4G showing, it was ACTIVE.
    Once I identified which carrier app was using it, I disabled it, and now it's grayed out. Problem solved. But it was not "automatic."
    Not everyone has unlimited data, and can't afford to have things using mobile data 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
    That's how mine looks now that I disabled Caller Name ID. Before I did that, the 4G was lit up as bright as the WiFi icon, 24/7, and periodically showed activity, even while WiFi was active.

I wouldn't have even found my way to this thread if my 4G was grayed out like that before, but it never was. The one who posted that he checked running apps and found it was the visual voicemail made me check every Verizon app's settings.

1Coopgt likes this.

Good to know ty .
    Thanked by: