Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,997 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.1 Lollipop

Default 4G LTE Use More Data?

I'm coming from the Nexus 4 that only had 4G. My data limit from AT&T is only 3GB. I've had my S5 now for almost a week and I have used 480MB thus far. With my Nexus 4 I would use that same amount in almost 2 weeks. Does the S5 with LTE use more data? Does LTE use more data for some reason? This is my first LTE enabled device.
    Current Device: Nexus 6 & Nexus Player

Current Carrier: Sprint

Default Re: 4G LTE Use More Data?

I can't answer specifically about the S5, but part of the increased data usage may have to do with the overall higher data speed that you have access to now. Faster speed means easier web access, which tends to lead to more web usage.

Apps can also do a lot of data refreshing in the background, so check for data refresh interval settings in your various apps. You could also turn off Auto-Sync for your Google services, which will prevent your various Google services from automatically refreshing in the background--you can always manually refresh by opening a particular app.
    Thanked by:
    Greg C 
    ffejjj likes this.

4g is your after burner to more data

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Retired Ambassador
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    1,997 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.1 Lollipop

Thank you...I will take your advice and check that out. I appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I can't answer specifically about the S5, but part of the increased data usage may have to do with the overall higher data speed that you have access to now. Faster speed means easier web access, which tends to lead to more web usage.

Apps can also do a lot of data refreshing in the background, so check for data refresh interval settings in your various apps. You could also turn off Auto-Sync for your Google services, which will prevent your various Google services from automatically refreshing in the background--you can always manually refresh by opening a particular app.
    Current Device: Nexus 6 & Nexus Player

Current Carrier: Sprint

i had a problem like that back then before i got unlimited data.

basically 4g is like steroids man, only turn it on if you really need to, and be careful when you use it to "preview" some videos on youtube or something, because it will load the WHOLE video in those few seconds you are watching which really kills data. i'd say turn on 4g only when downloading something big or if you want to watch something in hd.

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

4G is always turned on on my phones but i have an unlimited data plan.

You can look at Settings -> Connections -> Data Usage to see the apps who eat your data, you can set some limits here, or buy 3G Watchdog Pro (or any similar app) to have more control and more informations about your data usage.

Note: the menu is from my GS4, maybe they have moved it to another place on the GS5,