Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How can I change my my encryption to swipe/pattern/PIN instead of a Password?

Hello,

I am new to Android having just bought an S5, previously I had a Nokia Lumia. I wanted to set up some form of encryption for obvious reasons, and I am sure I just had to set up a password - now I have realised that there are other methods such as the pattern or pin, which I would prefer, but it will not let me click to change to any of the other options.

Can this be rectified?!

Thanks

Default Re: How can I change my my encryption to swipe/pattern/PIN instead of a Password?

settings, lock screen, screen lock.
    not sure why you cant change it,

Default Re: How can I change my my encryption to swipe/pattern/PIN instead of a Password?

It's been about a month, but here's an answer: If you've encrypted your SD card or device, you have to use the password. I just figured this out the hard way.

Global Posts
    425 Global Posts

You may have a program downloaded that prevents you from using anything but the password. When I install Foxfi, Everything but password is grayed out.

ROM
    DAS BAMF 1.6.3 LeanKernel

This maybe an old thread, but with Samsung devices (S5, Note 3, etc.), if you want encryption, you MUST use LONG password with ALPHANUMERIC.

This is dumb, I believe, because who wants to enter 6 character alphanumeric password every time they want to use their device? It will lead to people using easy to guess password, which is no secure than having a, say 6 digit PIN.

So now people does not want to use encryption on the device, which beat the purpose of having this functionality in the first place.

I don't know if this is Samsung doing or Google...

ROM
    DAS BAMF 1.6.3 LeanKernel

I don't think so. I have a fresh reset Note 3 and everything is greyed out too (except the password).

You can change your screen lock type from password to pattern. i think you are trying the "security" menu in the settings. instead, you should go to:
    settings -- device -- lock screen -- screen lock
    here you can enter your password and then change it into a pattern.