Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By davew41
  • 2 Post By Xm_jdm
  • 1 Post By felloffthetruck
  • 1 Post By Xm_jdm
  • 1 Post By Greg C
  • 1 Post By eyecon82
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    davew41's Avatar

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

    Thumbs up Yes it is waterproof so far..

    I have washed my samsung galaxy each morning since release date (AT&T) no issues yet with mild soap, sponge and water..

    I heard that there is some kind of coating on the screen that you are not supposed to use soap? no idea..
    Sara Di likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Yes it is waterproof so far..

    I probably wouldn't use soap on it, too risky
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -
  3. #3  
    20blks's Avatar

    Posts
    701 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts

    Default Re: Yes it is waterproof so far..

    Quote Originally Posted by davew41 View Post
    I have washed my samsung galaxy each morning since release date (AT&T) no issues yet with mild soap, sponge and water..

    I heard that there is some kind of coating on the screen that you are not supposed to use soap? no idea..
    And why are you washing your phone with soap?

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Yes it is waterproof so far..

    Quote Originally Posted by 20blks View Post
    And why are you washing your phone with soap?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Yeah, curious about that myself. Glad to know it's held up well against the water but I think I read that soap will eventually remove or degrade the coating on the screen.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Yes it is waterproof so far..

    Maybe the soap is to kill any germs that may be on it. I've seen those news reports that show your cell phone is crawling with germs! I've been known to clean my phone with hand sanitizer.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Yes it is waterproof so far..

    Why would you wash your phone with soap?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Yes it is waterproof so far..

    Quote Originally Posted by Sara Di View Post
    I've seen those news reports that show your cell phone is crawling with germs!.
    And?
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Yes it is waterproof so far..

    Or if it gets greasy


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Yes it is waterproof so far..

    Quote Originally Posted by Sara Di View Post
    Maybe the soap is to kill any germs that may be on it. I've seen those news reports that show your cell phone is crawling with germs! I've been known to clean my phone with hand sanitizer.
    So are door knobs and bus rails.

    I wash my hands 50 times a day about. I never thought it was necessary to soap up my phone, waterproof or not.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Yes it is waterproof so far..

    Need a new hobby?
    jesse_h likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Yes it is waterproof so far..

    Quote Originally Posted by felloffthetruck View Post
    Need a new hobby?
    Who me? I am a Paramedic. It's a part of the job.
    tomothy94 likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Ya I wouldn't use soap.

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Yes it is waterproof so far..

    Have you seen this? She did basically the same as you and this has happened

    http://phandroid.com/2014/04/19/galaxy-s5-water-damage/

    Hoping this isn't something that is prevalent across all devices and maybe her device has a fault?
  14. #14  
    Greg C's Avatar

    Posts
    1,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,656 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

    Default Re: Yes it is waterproof so far..

    I treat the IP67 designation as an extra layer of protection in case I ever need it.... not something I want to test or play around with.
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.
    jayhay312 likes this.
  15. #15  
    MBM7881's Avatar

    Posts
    637 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,159 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default Re: Yes it is waterproof so far..

    Wow well its good your phone stood up to the water. I would be too afraid to try. In fact as soon as lifeproof comes out with the case for the S5, I'll be buying it

    Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Yes it is waterproof so far..

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I treat the IP67 designation as an extra layer of protection in case I ever need it.... not something I want to test or play around with.
    Agreed

    Also, washing the screen with detergents can cause the oleophobic coating to wear off

    -Sent from Tapatalk
    Greg C likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. I got my Xperia Z2 yesterday and love it.
    By Andyvalver in forum Sony Xperia Z2
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 06-16-2014, 07:22 PM
  2. Not sure why there's so much dislike for Touchwiz
    By kctony in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 05-01-2014, 09:28 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 09:43 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2014, 09:29 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-20-2014, 04:48 AM

Posting Permissions