USB 3.0 Mode disables sd card

Ryan Cellini

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Why is the SD card disabled when I put the phone is USB 3.0 mode. Wouldn't I want to be able to transfer things off and onto my SD card with the fastest possible speed? Is there a way to transfer with USB 3.0 and have the SD card enabled?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The SDcard reader and the USB 3.0 use the same single southbridge BUS but the USB 3.0 requires the entire bandwidth to operate. There maybe a way with software to interchange the BUS to switch from one to the other using internal memory as cache but I believe you won't be able to use both simultaneously.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe they care what the users plans to use the USB 3.0 for but only included it to sell other devices that might use the USB 3.0 to stream data. While trying not to help anyone from pirating data. USB is historically a common route used for this purpose.

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I was going to buy a USB 3.0 cable but I no longer see any reason to as I don't plan on using the phone storage for anything but the necessary items... That's really annoying

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I did not have that problem with my ATT Samsung Galaxy S5. I used the USB 3.0 cable to sync all my songs with Windows Media Player to the 32 Gb SD card and copied my Pictures folder on my PC entirely to the SD card.

However, I did find that one cannot copy individual files to the SD card. One must either sync or copy entire folders.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Weird problem. I use my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in usb 3.0 mode and can copy stuff to the sd card no problems

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Ryan Cellini

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
To the people who say they are able to do this, are you sure you're going into the connection options and switching the phone from media device to media device (usb 3.0)? After you complete that step you are still able to transfer files to and from an SD card in the expandable memory slot?

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I can't even find a place to switch this. With my Note 3 and now my S5 both just worked, no settings switching to do, or that I am aware of.

Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
USB 3.0 cable works fine for me now. When I first received the phone, I did not push the SD card in forcefully so it was not recognized. I opened the back cover and pressed it in harder, and now it works fine. I suggest you do the same.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't even find a place to switch this. With my Note 3 and now my S5 both just worked, no settings switching to do, or that I am aware of.

On the note 3, open the notification panel and select the mode. You have to check usb 3.0 mode explicitly. Doing so will put you in airplane mode.

Ryan Cellini

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Yeah to the guys who think it is working I believe there is some confusion here. Using a USB 3.0 cable works fine no matter what mode you are in. Simply plugging in the USB 3.0 cable does not mean you are transferring using 3.0 speeds. USB 3.0 cables can also transmit at 2.0 speeds, it depends on what the device is pushing. So, on the SG5 when you connect the phone to the PC you will see the little USB icon pop up in the notification bar at the top of your phone. If you click that notification you will be brought to the USB settings. There you will see that your phone is currently in "Media device (MTP)" mode, and there is also an option called "Media device (USB 3.0)", and Camera (PTP). When you switch it to 3.0 mode you are given 3.0 data transfer speeds but as dpham00 stated the phone is placed in Airplane mode, and I guess the SD card is disabled since it uses the same BUS as 3.0. Hopefully that clears everything up.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Here is what I see when connecting to usb 3.0 mode. I have access the my sd card on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

9u3uzeze.jpg

5asa4apa.jpg

7etu6agy.jpg

ynevy9uv.jpg

Ryan Cellini

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes I can do all of that as well, but when I go to access Computer\SAMSUNG-SM-G900V\Card\DCIM\Camera on my PC for instance, it just sits and loads for a while, never completes, then becomes unresponsive. I only have one picture in there so it's not because the folder is large.

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
sprint s5, works fine here in usb 3.0, chosen from the pull down, warning, bla bla, transferred a 300mb file no problem to my SD card
exploring, copying, deleting all works fine also. in usb 3.0 mode selected.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
On the note 3, open the notification panel and select the mode. You have to check usb 3.0 mode explicitly. Doing so will put you in airplane mode.

Ah I know you can change modes via the notification panel, I just never have, or had a reason too. So I guess that is why I have never noticed the actually USB 3.0 mode.

Ryan Cellini

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
sprint s5, works fine here in usb 3.0, chosen from the pull down, warning, bla bla, transferred a 300mb file no problem to my SD card
exploring, copying, deleting all works fine also. in usb 3.0 mode selected.

Ok so anyone have any idea what is going on with my phone if that is the case? I was just able to transfer a 275 MB file to the DCIM folder in USB mode. Shortly after any file I attempted to transfer said the file was unable to copy because the device was no longer connected. I could still navigate through some folders until I tried opening the Camera folder, then it became unresponsive. I disconnected and reconnected, and copied the same file to the root sd card. The file again copied, but then the folder operations became unresponsive. Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

vientiane

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
ATT S5 here, it works fine with USB 3.0 mode but the SD card may not write at that high speed. I copy the S5 firmware about 1.4 GB from my PC to SD card, it took about 1min 30 sec

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995