Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Skyway
  • 1 Post By eyecon82
  • 1 Post By lindseybp
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Are we likely to see an update from samsung to fix the lag some people have?

Hi all

As the days go by it is becoming more and more apparent that the S5 doesn't match up to other devices on speed of app opening and in other areas it can lag such as lock screen opening and fingerprint scanning, and just general use of the phone.

In light of this and samsung's reputation for apparently listening to their customers, do you think that we are likely to get an update to address the lag, considering the hardware in the phone is more than capable of producing the same results as other devices?

What do you think?

Default Re: Are we likely to see an update from samsung to fix the lag some people have?

No lags here :-)

Sent from my Galaxy S5, using tapatalk

You can turn off animations in the developer options, that might help.

Also it's not the hardware that's causing the "lag", it's TouchWiz. It's a very heavy ui when compared to others, such as Sense 6.

Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Default Re: Are we likely to see an update from samsung to fix the lag some people have?

Hi

I have turned off the developer settings as you say, it does help a lot, and I know it's Touchwiz, that is what i am saying - Will samsung release a firmware update to make it faster? I don't really have lag but if i mess around with the phone loads and keep opening and closing apps I do get some

- - - Updated - - -

And regardless, the HTC One M8 really is so much faster that it's a bit embarrassing for Samsung if they don't update it

Quote Originally Posted by tomothy94 View Post
    Hi

I have turned off the developer settings as you say, it does help a lot, and I know it's Touchwiz, that is what i am saying - Will samsung release a firmware update to make it faster? I don't really have lag but if i mess around with the phone loads and keep opening and closing apps I do get some

- - - Updated - - -

And regardless, the HTC One M8 really is so much faster that it's a bit embarrassing for Samsung if they don't update it
    You said that the hardware is capable of producing little or no lag on other devices, but my point was it has nothing to do with hardware. It's the skin that Samsung uses

I haven't noticed any lag.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    You said that the hardware is capable of producing little or no lag on other devices, but my point was it had nothing to do with hardware. It's the skin that Samsung uses

I Said that the S5's hardware is already more than capable of producing the same speeds as other devices, knowing this, do you think samsung will employ an update to match the speeds of its rivals, as it cannot be the hardware but the software as you say. I do understand what you mean and i am saying the same thing you are saying haha
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

If i were to root my device I suppose other roms would be less Laggy as they don't include touchwiz? I've heard of a couple, Omega is one of them, though i'd rather not void my warranty at this point and think samsung will hopefully release an update

I Said that the S5's hardware is already more than capable of producing the same speeds as other devices, knowing this, do you think samsung will employ an update to match the speeds of its rivals, as it cannot be the hardware but the software as you say. I do understand what you mean and i am saying the same thing you are saying haha
    Honestly I don't think they can just update it enough to be comparable. But that's just my opinion

If i were to root my device I suppose other roms would be less Laggy as they don't include touchwiz? I've heard of a couple, Omega is one of them, though i'd rather not void my warranty at this point and think samsung will hopefully release an update
    Usually a custom rom or a tweaked stock rom will run circles around it's stock counterpart.

Thanked by:

To be completely honest, after using the Nexus 5 since it launched in Nov. the lag on my GS5 is not bad at all. I mean, is it noticeable compared to the N5, if you compare it with a microscope, sure. I think every phone is going to seem "laggy" compared to the N5. But having it for a week now, not one time have I complained about lag.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I have Disabled S Voice and S Health and it seems to have improved performance, not sure if i am just imagining that though

- - - Updated - - -

Also on a tangent I have just put 7 seasons of south park on my phone storage and the phone hasn't slowed down at all despite it

Quote Originally Posted by williams448 View Post
    To be completely honest, after using the Nexus 5 since it launched in Nov. the lag on my GS5 is not bad at all. I mean, is it noticeable compared to the N5, if you compare it with a microscope, sure. I think every phone is going to seem "laggy" compared to the N5. But having it for a week now, not one time have I complained about lag.
    The m8 runs just as smooth as the n5

Thanked by:
    zipro 
    NickA and isitme like this.

Disabling animations in developer settings helps, but there is still lag. I hope they do fix it through since it's clearly software related

-Sent from Tapatalk
    tomothy94 likes this.

I had lag on my S4 and downloaded nova launcher and disabled animations and it is super fast now.
    johnriii likes this.

If anyone has ever used a nexus 5 then they know just how fast a phone can be. Because it's pure Google, it runs very very fast. I had an S4 and it a little smoother with updates... Although from when I bought it in 2013 until the 4.4 update I only had 3 updates total in that year. I hope Samsung has more frequent updates with the S5 but I can still notice a slight delay when doing any task compared to a nexus or so be thing BUT I am more than okay with this because its barely noticeable and the phone far far out performs and other phone in my opinion. I know ultra power saving mode isn't necessarily new but Samsung has so far or perfected it in my opinion. It assisted me in getting 30+ hours with moderate usage Which is bomb......

Global Posts
    551 Global Posts

Agreed, the N5 is a much faster device. My S5 tends to be OK for a while after reboots, but then gradually gets slower and slower, which mainly displays itself as slow app loading speed, scrolling performance in apps, delays when hitting the multitasking button etc. There's even a video on YouTube demonstrating this: - they're saying it's due to the fact that Touchwiz is so bloated, that there isn't enough memory to run other apps smoothly. Also, because of the constantly low memory, the S5 is incapable of keeping background tasks running and has to freeze them instead. That way, the apps have to reloaded every time you switch back to them, resulting in delays.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

I haven't experienced any lag at all. I use Apex Launcher instead of TouchWiz. I also disabled most of the bloatware that came preinstalled on my device.
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.

My S5 (Verizon) runs pretty fast and zippy. I only noticed some lag in the Tapatalk app, but that app has always been kind of buggy in my experience. Other than that, everything that I have used works fine.

By the way, I'm using the Nova launcher right now, and I have disabled some bloatware. Also, I do not have a ton of apps loaded as of now.

When I hit the open apps, or multitasking button (the layered rectangles on the bottom left screen), it does seem to take just a split second to open, but I'm not sure that is "lag" - that is just the way that button operates.

Global Posts
    511 Global Posts

I'd be happy with the screen turning on faster than it currently does. Yeah its like a second but most other phones are essentially immediate, the S5 should have that as well.

Oh and don't test yours by turning it off then right back on. I'm referring to what happens when I haven't been using my phone for a few minutes and the time it takes for the screen to respond.

In my opinion, they should have opted for 3GB of RAM in the S5. It's not slow by any stretch of the imagination, but if you've used it next to an M8 or Nexus 5 you'd see the very slight differences in UI responsiveness. I feel like it could be helped tremendously by that extra GB, but it can also be helped via software update. A lot was made of the lag on the S4, but it didn't take them too long to address it and make the S4 pretty responsive.

If you notice the slightest of hiccups in multitasking and the slightest of stutters in text input, then the S5 as it stands -right now- might irritate you. I hesitate to call it lag because I feel like that lumps it into the same category as the S4 last year and that's not really the case. It's just something that could irritate the most picky of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Transcendence View Post
    In my opinion, they should have opted for 3GB of RAM in the S5. It's not slow by any stretch of the imagination, but if you've used it next to an M8 or Nexus 5 you'd see the very slight differences in UI responsiveness. I feel like it could be helped tremendously by that extra GB, but it can also be helped via software update. A lot was made of the lag on the S4, but it didn't take them too long to address it and make the S4 pretty responsive.

If you notice the slightest of hiccups in multitasking and the slightest of stutters in text input, then the S5 as it stands -right now- might irritate you. I hesitate to call it lag because I feel like that lumps it into the same category as the S4 last year and that's not really the case. It's just something that could irritate the most picky of us.

Imo I don't think extra ram is the way to go about it. If sense 6 and stock android (m8 and n5) can run with little to no lag with only 2gb, then surely Samsung and TouchWiz should be able to. I think Samsung needs to refine TouchWiz for efficiency and ram optimization

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    Imo I don't think extra ram is the way to go about it. If sense 6 and stock android (m8 and n5) can run with little to no lag with only 2gb, then surely Samsung and TouchWiz should be able to. I think Samsung needs to refine TouchWiz for efficiency and ram optimization

They have very different design philosophies and I'm guessing they've tried to optimize it the best they can. They may have to remove some things for it to function at the same level as stock Android, so maybe adding more RAM to compensate would be easier. I'd think that they already know it's an issue and have tried to address it seeing as this version of Touchwiz is a marked improvement over last year.

It's not like we're dealing with a slow phone. It's just a hair slower than the 2 devices you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Transcendence View Post
    They have very different design philosophies and I'm guessing they've tried to optimize it the best they can. They may have to remove some things for it to function at the same level as stock Android, so maybe adding more RAM to compensate would be easier. I'd think that they already know it's an issue and have tried to address it seeing as this version of Touchwiz is a marked improvement over last year.

It's not like we're dealing with a slow phone. It's just a hair slower than the 2 devices you mentioned.

If the software can't handle the ram it has as well as the competition, adding more just seems like the wrong way to go about it. I understand they have different design philosophies but so do Sense 6 and stock android, yet HTC has somehow managed.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with Samsung or TouchWiz and I commend them for their latest iteration, it's far better than it's ever been. I just think they could have optimized it even further, and adding more ram to software that isn't as optimized seems like a cheap fix. My opinion of course, yours may differ

Now if they added more ram, and optimized TouchWiz to handle the ram better, then it would definitely be a win in my book. You have to do both though, one without the other seems like a compromise