How can I get my Galaxy S5 to read my texts aloud?

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
trying to get my phone to read texts out loud, not sure how i do this.
settings, language and input, read out loud, all those are grayed out. not sure if that's normal or not.

trying to get text messages to read out with headphones, or Bluetooth headphones when on the motorbike.
any help would be great, thanks!!

Eric Ruiz1

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Its a good feature....until you get that text from a girl and now your whole family thinks you need Jesus lol

Posted via Android Central App

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
If you get the LG Tone Bluetooth, you can download an app BT Reader that can read your texts when you are connected to Bluetooth; doesn't when you not connected.

LMychajluk

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
JS - Did that work for you? I'd like to try the same thing w/ my SENAs. Also toying with Tasker. It would be really cool to flip this function on/off based on the connection of the SENA headset.

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Yep, seems to be working, but the weather has been terrible for days, 2 rides this weekend, probably test more than. Give it a shot, can't hurt

ltaras

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Did you get your texts to successfully get read out loud on bluetooth? I have been trying for a couple of weeks, I have AT&T Galaxy 5 SM- G900A. Works fine for phone conversations, just won't read my texts to me like my Samsung Flash Focus did.

accessive

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Did you get your texts to successfully get read out loud on bluetooth? I have been trying for a couple of weeks, I have AT&T Galaxy 5 SM- G900A. Works fine for phone conversations, just won't read my texts to me like my Samsung Flash Focus did.

This may possibly be because AT&T specifically stripped out such features like "car mode" on the S5. It's supposed to deter you from using the phone while driving. ...go figure.

Apparently they don't realize that most people are "careless" & will text & drive regardless. I think the AT&T version should come with a big sticker for your vehicle so the rest of us have more time to "dodge"
:)

I am sure you can get around this by using the reading ability under accessibility 》vision》talk back.
But it will do more than just read texts. Maybe a specific car app or something would be best.

Last edited: