Sell me on the Galaxy S5 :)

Brad Semenick

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm stuck between the s5 and m8. I'm coming from a gs3. Please all positive aspects of the s5 here:) thanks!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sell me on the s5 :)

Water Resistant
I used my phone in the shower, I had my phone connected to my bluetooth speaker for music, I took my phone and used it to change the tracks while I was in the shower and water running....didnt have to worry about my phone messing up

That alone was a big plus for me

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Isn't the HTC M8 easier to view in sunlight since it has an IPS display?

I came from a Note 3 to the M8 (which I've already returned...getting a Z2) and the M8 was far better in daylight than the Note 3. I'm not sure how much improved the S5 is compared to the Note 3, but both use the same tech so I'm assuming it's roughly equivalent.

***Never mind, the people below me have your answer.

If it's worth anything, I played with an S5 at the store the other day and was blown away by how nice screen is. It's a shame it's wrapped in plastic however.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

actually no. The GS5 has a new generation of Amoled display, according to test done by displaymate Samsung Galaxy S5 Display Technology Shoot-Out
it is allegedly the brightest screen available meaning in full sun its still visible. Or you could check the review here at Android central

"in short, it's every bit as impressive as leading IPS LCDs like the one used in the HTC One M8. And that extends to daylight visibility, too — the Galaxy S5 is the first AMOLED phone we've used that matches the LCD-based competition for legibility in direct sunlight. This was a huge area of weakness for the Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3 and earlier AMOLED devices, so it's great to see the GS5 finally overcoming this limitation."

Samsung Galaxy S5 Review | Android Central

There might be many reasons to choose one phone over the other but daylight visibility shouldn't be a big issue any more.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

The S5 pumps out more nits of brightness and is easier viewed in sunlight compared to the M8. This has nothing to do with the underlying screen technology.

The S5 screen also has one of the lowest reflectance scores. One of the Lumias is tops, but the S5 isn't that far behind. Between brightness and reflectance, the S5 trounces the M8 in outdoor viewing.

Eric Ruiz1

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Just do it.

Can't sell you on the phone if you don't know what you want. Its like trying to sell you a German sports car and an american sports car; two competitors with different characteristics to tailor everyone differently.

Why I chose the S5.
-M8 looks like a cheap iPhone knockoff and felt worse in my hand. S5 is lighter. I am techy so although the galaxy had some lag, I got rid of most with nova launcher, cache cleaner, and app manager so I am not gonna complain. Camera makes a difference to me and the HTC wasn't that bad but you can zoom on S5 pics and still have good quality. HTC was a very smooth OS but the phone is just not what I was looking for. Yes the S5 is plastic and removable back but I like that because plenty test have show its a trooper compared to a metal case that does not absorb shock very well and when my battery feels like its not what is used to be, i can reolace. M8 has better call quality though and beautiful sound. M8 is for a simple user aka people who want something easy to use and clean. The s5 is that German sports car that may have problems here and there but you still smile everytime you see it. Hope this helps

And FYI, you are going to get people who are very bias. In all honesty, my friend is in the same situation....but so am I. My 14 day exchange is up this Friday and I have gone to best buy twice since then to play with the M8 but the feel of the phone keeps killing it. Either of them are great phones. CNET did a prizefight video on a compare and they did a good job pointing everything out when it comes to choosing.

Last edited:

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site

I'm stuck between the s5 and m8. I'm coming from a gs3. Please all positive aspects of the s5 here:) thanks!

Removable battery, camera, screen (not a big deal for me), and water resistant. I won't buy any phone without a removable battery so all these other phones will not be considered even though the LG G2 and M8 are nice.

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

Bigger battery m8: 2600 mAh vs s5: 2800 mAh about 1 additional hour according to Benchmarks (Phone Arena))
Removable battery
Better rear camera: 16MP
4K video recording (may not be practical tho... since it will take too much space on the phone,)
Water / dust resist
Finger print sensor
Heart rate monitor
USB 3.0
Thinner (m8: 9.35 mm vs s5: 8.1 mm)
Lighter weight (m8: 160grams vs s5: 145 grams)

Graziella K

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

Water Resistant
I used my phone in the shower, I had my phone connected to my bluetooth speaker for music, I took my phone and used it to change the tracks while I was in the shower and water running....didnt have to worry about my phone messing up

That alone was a big plus for me

Big dream of me here...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

As others are justifying the S5 I have to ask...

What are you needs? I can't sell you on things if I don't know what you need... All I can do is list the specs of the phone and features (as others are doing) which I'm sure you know if you've read about it :).

So again.. What are your needs?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

Sell yourself on the s5. Not trying to be rude but go to a store and compare the big name devices and decide for yourself.

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm perfectly happy with my M8, but the S5 is the first Samsung phone I wouldn't mind keeping around. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

i don't have the S5, but you're going to have to do this on your own. I have the S4, and I had been researching phones for at least 9 months prior to buying it. when we got close to upgrade day, I was either Note 2, or S4. the S3 had fallen by the wayside, and Motorola was quiet as far as what they were doing. HTC One wasn't even in the running, thanks to my past bad experiences with the Thunderbolt and Rezound. now that I have the S4, I have SOME buyers remorse, primarily because I didn't wait to see what was coming down the pike. had I known about the motorola phones, I probably would have gone with one of them, but they came out of the shadows about a month after i got my S4. there's always going to be newer, fancier phones coming around the corner, so you may want to try some patience, but i don't think you can go wrong with the S5, just my opinion.

Brad Semenick

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

As others are justifying the S5 I have to ask...

What are you needs? I can't sell you on things if I don't know what you need... All I can do is list the specs of the phone and features (as others are doing) which I'm sure you know if you've read about it :).

So again.. What are your needs?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

My needs are a great android phone that'll last two years. Battery life is important, I'm plugging in my s3 multiple times per day and that's kind of annoying. It has to survive a teenage boy life, sports, runs, outdoors, camp, etc. Camera is kinda important, I don't use it daily but when I use it I'd like it to deliver.