Connecting Galaxy S5 to Certain Bluetooth Devices

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I am coming from a s2, used bluetooth with my lincoln. My s5 works just like the s2. I don't have to do anything, just comes up and showing bluetooth is active on the screen.

rod955i

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Don't know if this will help anyone else but I couldn't connect my S5 to my Supertooth buddy. My S2 connected fine. I had to reset the Supertooth Buddy which removed S2 pairing. Then the S5 could see it but I get the incorrect pin and password problem.

Last edited:

shaena123

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I purchased the Galaxy S5 because I loved my S2 and used it all the time in my 2013 Outback. After pairing my new S5 to my Subaru, I noticed that it never auto-connected when I turned the car on. I could connect it manually but it always took about 10 minutes of repeatedly turning the bluetooth on and off. I contacted Samsung Live Chat but the nice person on the other end couldn't help me and suggested that I contact Subaru and request that they do an update on my car. Frustrated, I Googled the issue and found a forum that stated that there is a bug in Subaru's software and suggested that I use the voice recognition in the car to pair the device (controls on the steering wheel) instead of the controls on the radio.
It absolutely fixes the problem and you don't have to install another app.

I have pasted a copy of the post. It is from an Apple forum but the writer has the S5.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5020918?tstart=0
"Hi, guys...there's a fix for this (I have a 5s and an Impreza). First of all, Subaru can't update the radios...once they're installed in the car, there is no possibility of firmware updates. Secondly, not everyone has a NAV system in the their cars, so instructions I've seen vary across forum posts.

Here's the simple universal fix: Pair your phone using the car's voice commands (buttons on your steering wheel)...not using the menu button and dial on the radio itself. For some reason, using the voice commands to pair the phone makes the phone autoconnect every time after the pair, whereas using the stereo buttons doesn't let the phone reconnect. It's a bug in the system, but this is the workaround. I just did it, and it works great.
"

I hope this helps.

PT Hell

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem. My new Samsung S5 would not auto connect to my Plantronics bluetooth, and the guys at the Verizon store who are ordinarily very helpful couldn't fix it. Just downloaded the Bluetooth Auto Connect app from the App Store. Had to fiddle around with the settings and try it a few times, but it now seems to be working fine. Seems to have solved the problem.

Susan Lazzaro

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem but with my music. It syncs but I have to go into the phone and turn the music on before it plays through my car's radio. I am trying another music program and I am hoping that works and I am also going back to the store to discuss all the issues I have with the galaxy s5. Very frustrating. defeats the whole Bluetooth hands free.

navymoms73

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks so much! I downloaded the Bluetooth autoconnect blue app and now the phone syncs with my gogroove bluetooth adapter first and the car second. There was even a setting where I can set the app to autoplay my Pandora (or any other account you might have).

dgcorn

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a Jabra Cruiser in the car which connects with the S5 fine for audio podcasts, but will not stay connected for telephone calls. So much for hands-free driving. I downloaded Bluetooth Auto Connect, but it has not made the Bluetooth speaker work with calls. Very disappointed in a "flagship" phone which cannot connect to bluetooth like the four year old phone I was using previously.

Melissa Gibson

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a Galaxy s5 and cannot connect to pandora which is synced with my 2013 camaro. Pandora shows up on the screen but shuffles through songs and never connects to it to play a song, and also get network busy try later. I even tried it with Milk, a sprint, samsung music app and have problems with it also. Can anyone give me a step by step solution? And literal step by step...not to smart when it comes to this.

Doopus

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
This one caused me some heartburn, but I think I have it figured out. I had recently purchased the Galaxy S5 from Verizon and was having the same issue...I was paired to my BT stereo, but had to re-connect manually every time I got in the vehicle. Several chats with Samsung and they basically told me that auto-connect was not an option with the S5, which I knew was total BS since I had been auto-connecting with my Moto RAZR M for a couple of years. Looked thru my Alpine stereo manual and figured out that I had to add my device (S5) via the BT settings on the stereo. Once I did that, it started recognizing my phone every time I started the truck! It seems that when I was connecting before from the S5, it was just considered a temporary device by my stereo.

So, the short version is this: check your stereo or BT device settings and make sure you don't have to add your S5 in the setup. Hope this helps.

Melissa Gibson

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I did. I deleted my old phone and added my new one....I can see that my phone recognizes my car bluetooth...but...still not connecting...well, sitting in my car in the driveway, it does, but once the song changes, then pandora goes crazy and shuffles through every song with no pause to listen..I cant stop it unless i turn the bluetooth off. Then nothing...

MelanieFenicia

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
If you have figured out how to connect via Bluetooth or usb, please tell us !! Thanks
To get my s5 to play in my vehicle, I put it through the AUX port on both my phone and vehicle..:-\

Peaty

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I've just upgraded my phone to a Galaxy S5 from the S3. I have a 2010 Subaru Legacy 3.6R with the NAV. I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue. My Bluetooth seems to work fine except for one condition. If my phone's screen locks I can't make a call from the car's head unit. If I press a speed dial it just says disconnecting. I can receive calls and it will hook back up (while locked) if I turn the car on and off. If I unlock the phone with my password, I can then call from the head unit.

As for the autoconnect, in the subaru, if you have the NAV there is an option next to the BT phone listing to enable "AutoConnect" I had a problem with the BT audio, I had to go in to the BT audio setup and remove my old phone and pair my new one similar to pairing the phone part.

I've called sprint and the guy was nice but never had that happen before and we spent a while on the phone but nothing works other than entering my pin.

Sadly, my work e-mail and calender apps on the phone make it so I can not turn off the security of having either a PIN or Password.

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this. It's the same with my wife's 2013 non nav BT in her OB.

It's going to be a major PITA to have to enter my pin to make a call, kind of defeats the purpose of the hands free I like so much.

Update>

Okay never mind, I found the setting buried in the menu

Phone >Settings > Call Settings > Call Accessories > Outgoing Call Conditions > Select even when Phone is Locked.

That was fun...

Last edited:

Parmenedes

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I have been having some Bluetooth difficulties with my new s5. My iPhone 4S seemed to be smart enough to have my car stereo and a jawbone headset connected simultaneously. I could be listening to music in my car via the Bluetooth connection, and when a call came in I could answer it on my headset just by tapping it (the same way I would answer a call when not in my car). The music would mute, and I'd be on the call through the headset, which had much better call quality than my car's hands free calling did. Very simple, no fuss.

My s5 seems to be unable to be connected to both devices at the same time (not using the jawbone anymore - I now have an LG HBS800 headset, which admittedly might have something to do with the problem). I would love to be able to get in my car and start driving while the car stereo connects to my phone automatically, and then to answer a call on my headset without navigating through menus on my phone. I tried the Bluetooth auto connect app, but I have not been able to resolve this issue even after playing around with settings extensively.

The phone will connect to the car, and it will connect to the headset, but it can't (or at least I can't figure out how to make it) switch between them automatically, something my three year old iphone was able easily to do.

I am mostly enjoying android, but this (along with the problem of the phone being unable to respond to voice commands while the s view cover is closed) is pretty aggravating. Any help or suggestions to get this to work would be appreciated.

John Whitehead2

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that there was a complete answer to the first question. I will pose another question which is still the same.

I am having trouble when my Moto 360 watch is already paired to my phone, then I get in the car, and now my car won't pair with the phone. I have to disconnect the watch and then then car will automatically connect and then I can reconnect the watch and all is good. But, it is a pain to disconnect the watch, connect car and reconnect watch every time I get in the car. I have tried Bluetooth Auto Connect, Tasker and system settings and no solution. Any ideas from everyone's experience with this problem?

Thanks all.

Sean Haire

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much Shaena123! That totally worked. I have a 2012 Forester and "just" got the S5 yesterday. I had a BB Z10 and that wouldn't automatically pair, but I just figured it was the Blackberry, because you know, it's a Blackberry (although my older Curve used to connect automatically). So I assumed when I got the S5 it would just work; I was so disappointed when it didn't! I just paired using the voice commands and it worked. Made my day already, thanks again...!

cragordon

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have been having some Bluetooth difficulties with my new s5. My iPhone 4S seemed to be smart enough to have my car stereo and a jawbone headset connected simultaneously. I could be listening to music in my car via the Bluetooth connection, and when a call came in I could answer it on my headset just by tapping it (the same way I would answer a call when not in my car). The music would mute, and I'd be on the call through the headset, which had much better call quality than my car's hands free calling did. Very simple, no fuss.

My s5 seems to be unable to be connected to both devices at the same time (not using the jawbone anymore - I now have an LG HBS800 headset, which admittedly might have something to do with the problem). I would love to be able to get in my car and start driving while the car stereo connects to my phone automatically, and then to answer a call on my headset without navigating through menus on my phone. I tried the Bluetooth auto connect app, but I have not been able to resolve this issue even after playing around with settings extensively.

The phone will connect to the car, and it will connect to the headset, but it can't (or at least I can't figure out how to make it) switch between them automatically, something my three year old iphone was able easily to do.

I am mostly enjoying android, but this (along with the problem of the phone being unable to respond to voice commands while the s view cover is closed) is pretty aggravating. Any help or suggestions to get this to work would be appreciated.

I have this same issue. I have the lg 730 with the note 4 and it won't auto switch. I have to turn my headset off before getting in the car to fix it. It's not the phone its definitely something with the headset because and android combined. I had the same issue with this headset and the HTC one m8. However with my wife's iPhone 5s and the same headset the phone will auto switch to the car. This is my only gripe right now.

Summr

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I realize I join this conversation late, but maybe my experience can help someone else. Just upgraded to a Glaxay s5 and have a 2007 Toyota Camry xle. Never had a problem with my previous phone (razr), but was unable to pair the new phone. Fearing I wouldn't be able to, given the 4g, os and year of the car, I searched high and low for any and all info and help I could find and found nothing. I just kept trying at different times doing different things. Nothing worked until I unpaired the razr and everything I had on the Galaxy, went out, started the car and it paired as easily as it should have the first time I attempted it.