Why I switched back to S5 from HTC M8

NYClawstudent

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I originally purchased the S5 on release day. Turns out it was a lemon as the battery drained incessantly and my alarm would not work when the phone was on vibrate (literally woke up late for work one day). So I returned it and went for the M8--which I used all weekend. I had some issues with screen flickering and lack of LED notifications (its a big issue with the M8).

But here's what was the most frustrating. Despite having nearly identical screen sizes, the on screen navigation buttons for the M8 drove me insane. For one, I would be texting or drafting an email--and sometimes would accidentally hit the on screen home or back button. On the S5--you have much better screen real estate and never have issues with typing. For me--that was a huge dealbreaker. Additionally, I am not a fan of the on screen buttons taking up precious real estate. Lastly, the AMOLED screen is tough to turn down. Once you hold the S5 and M8 side to side--it's really tough to back to a plain LCD screen. That being said--sometimes the AMOLED does appear over saturated--but its awesome.

And a final thought--I use my phone for work email (exchange)--and the HTC M8 had issues with me connecting. The S5 works perfectly with my corporate email client.

Overall--coming from an S4 and Note II--the S5 just felt better for me. Maybe next time HTC!

SloProjeklt

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I looked at the M8 while i was in the AT&T store, just to reassure myself of my decision to stick with the S5. The M8 screen looked so pale in comparison to the S5, and the device just felt huge and awkward. I get it, the outside casing seems nice, but 95% of the people getting the M8 will place it inside a bulky case anyways.

I bought my S5 on launch day, and while I was there I asked the girl who was helping me out how well the M8 was selling. She said, "Not well, people don't really know about it." She went on to say that people were either buying Iphone 5s (still!) or waiting for the S5, and more S5's were sold in the first day it was out, than what they sold with the M8 since it had been released.

To each their own; I just know I made the right decision for myself going for the S5.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Just so you know, the led notification isn't that big of a problem. Verizon versions seem to be affected the most, and a factory reset has solved the problem for a lot of people. Verizon or HTC (can't remember which one) is going to coming out with a patch to fix it as it seems to be a software issue. Just wanted to clarify that a little bit.

Also, the m8 is not the first phone to have on screen buttons. Why is this such a problem now, there are a lot of phones with on screen buttons? To me, having on screen buttons is not wasted space at all, they serve a purpose. I don't know how they can serve a purpose and still be wasted space at the same time.

You are most definitely entitled to your own opinion, and I'm glad you got the phone that suits your needs the most. Congratulations and enjoy your s5!

Posted via Android Central App

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I looked at the M8 while i was in the AT&T store, just to reassure myself of my decision to stick with the S5. The M8 screen looked so pale in comparison to the S5, and the device just felt huge and awkward. I get it, the outside casing seems nice, but 95% of the people getting the M8 will place it inside a bulky case anyways.

I bought my S5 on launch day, and while I was there I asked the girl who was helping me out how well the M8 was selling. She said, "Not well, people don't really know about it." She went on to say that people were either buying Iphone 5s (still!) or waiting for the S5, and more S5's were sold in the first day it was out, than what they sold with the M8 since it had been released.

To each their own; I just know I made the right decision for myself going for the S5.

I agree with you.

I think the worst thing HTC did is keep the name the same.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Here are some pics of the M7 on the left (4.7" screen) vs. the M8 on the right to support your comments about lack of screen real estate.
The M8 useable screen area measures out to about 4.75"....such a huge phone for such a small screen.

I originally purchased the S5 on release day. Turns out it was a lemon as the battery drained incessantly and my alarm would not work when the phone was on vibrate (literally woke up late for work one day). So I returned it and went for the M8--which I used all weekend. I had some issues with screen flickering and lack of LED notifications (its a big issue with the M8).

But here's what was the most frustrating. Despite having nearly identical screen sizes, the on screen navigation buttons for the M8 drove me insane. For one, I would be texting or drafting an email--and sometimes would accidentally hit the on screen home or back button. On the S5--you have much better screen real estate and never have issues with typing. For me--that was a huge dealbreaker. Additionally, I am not a fan of the on screen buttons taking up precious real estate. Lastly, the AMOLED screen is tough to turn down. Once you hold the S5 and M8 side to side--it's really tough to back to a plain LCD screen. That being said--sometimes the AMOLED does appear over saturated--but its awesome.

And a final thought--I use my phone for work email (exchange)--and the HTC M8 had issues with me connecting. The S5 works perfectly with my corporate email client.

Overall--coming from an S4 and Note II--the S5 just felt better for me. Maybe next time HTC!

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Verizon was the only carrier to be able to sell the phone in their retail stores until the global release on April 10th. All other carriers could only sell it online. The girl at your AT&T store is not going to have an accurate view of sales, when the majority of AT&T sales have been online. Just saying.

Seriously though, I'm glad both of you got the phones that you like the most. That's what all this is about, getting the product that YOU like the most, whether it's the s5 or some other phone. Congratulations and enjoy your amazing device!

bklynblaze

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

NYClawstudent

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Wow thanks for posting the comparison pic. That's absurd and completely supports my proposition---on screen buttons are a complete waste of screen real estate. It's even more puzzling that the HTC black bezel could have easily fit some buttons there. I guess its a design related issue.

I will admit that the HTC M8's battery life was absolutely stellar. I would take it off the charger in the morning and return home with approx. 40% battery life with moderate use (including reading to and from subway). I also thought the build quality was great. It's a very attractive phone. That being said--I really appreciate the lightweight and handy feel of the S5. It's easier to hold and type (Im 6'3 with large hands)---and feels natural.

And last thoughts---I know some folks might think I'm crazy but I actually enjoy Touchwiz more than the Sense 6.0. One concrete example--switching to airplane mode is a simple one step (hold the power button). On the M8--you have to pull down the menu and then toggle over to airplane view. Feels like unnecessary steps. Just seems like Samsung's tools are handier and quicker. I will say the minimal style of Sense is very smart and unobtrusive. But Touchwiz has def improved for the better.

The beauty of android--having choices.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
That's horrible. All that wasted space is not worth it for the speakers IMO. I use my headphones for sound out of my phone.

Well then you should know that the m8 has the highest voltage output from the audio jack. Headphones will sound noticeably better through the m8

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Also, the m8 is not the first phone to have on screen buttons. Why is this such a problem now, there are a lot of phones with on screen buttons? To me, having on screen buttons is not wasted space at all, they serve a purpose. I don't know how they can serve a purpose and still be wasted space at the same time.

Even though it's not the first some may see it as wasted space after using a Galaxy phone since the buttons for us are not on screen. So that way my screen is what I'm looking at.. And I still have the purpose of the buttons but they are off the screen so they don't use that bit of what I'm looking at.

Now that said is it that big a deal? To me... No... But some may just really not like that.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

bklynblaze

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Well then you should know that the m8 has the highest voltage output from the audio jack. Headphones will sound noticeably better through the m8

It probably does sound better but my S5 sounds perfectly fine with headphones on. I'm not an audiophile..besides, it's a phone. Like I said, the extra real estate on the M8 to achieve better sounding speakers is def not worth it IMO. I played with the M8 and it felt like a elongated iPhone 5 rip off.

NYClawstudent

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Even though it's not the first some may see it as wasted space after using a Galaxy phone since the buttons for us are not on screen. So that way my screen is what I'm looking at.. And I still have the purpose of the buttons but they are off the screen so they don't use that bit of what I'm looking at.

Now that said is it that big a deal? To me... No... But some may just really not like that.

--------------
agreed--it just seems like wasted space. I think samsung has it right--with touch sensitive buttons on the bottom of the phone. It feels natural. They light up and don't get in the way with use.

I will also say that the Boomsound speakers were incredible. Id turn on soundcloud while getting dressed in the morning--and could hear the phone all the way in the other side of my apt. That being said--I also use headphones and the sound quality is about on par with the M8. But HTC def focused more on the sound quality than samsung--and it shows.

I think it's an incredibly tough choice between both phones. Both have pros and cons. It really comes down to the type of user experience you enjoy. Fortunately or unfortunately--I am part of the samsung ecosystem and am really used to their style by now. Touchwiz UI just seems the most natural with features I heavily utilize such as airplane mode and switching ringtones with 1 button.

sel1965

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
When you watch videos and other functions the keys go away and come back with the swipe of a finger. There is really not that much of an issue unless you are trying to convince yourself there is. I have both phones so I happen to like them both but the HTC wins in my opinion it seems to be more reliable where it counts. Making calls and data connections.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Mar 27, 2013
Visit site

That's what would matter most to me.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
--------------
agreed--it just seems like wasted space. I think samsung has it right--with touch sensitive buttons on the bottom of the phone. It feels natural. They light up and don't get in the way with use.

I will also say that the Boomsound speakers were incredible. Id turn on soundcloud while getting dressed in the morning--and could hear the phone all the way in the other side of my apt. That being said--I also use headphones and the sound quality is about on par with the M8. But HTC def focused more on the sound quality than samsung--and it shows.

I think it's an incredibly tough choice between both phones. Both have pros and cons. It really comes down to the type of user experience you enjoy. Fortunately or unfortunately--I am part of the samsung ecosystem and am really used to their style by now. Touchwiz UI just seems the most natural with features I heavily utilize such as airplane mode and switching ringtones with 1 button.

While you may think Samsung has it right for capacitive buttons, Google certainly doesn't. Google wants android phones to have on screen buttons, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they make it a requirement. On screen buttons are more versatile, less prone to breaking, and can be customised (eventually, some manufactures already have it). Like it or not, it is definitely the future.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I just got a S5 and like it very much but, right now I would still choose my M8 if I had to pick between the two. The only thing I really like better about the S5 is the button placement, makes it so much easier to operate. I prefer the LCD screen over the AmoLED and I like Sense better than touchwiz. I think it all boils down to personal taste. They're both great phones.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I just got a S5 and like it very much but, right now I would still choose my M8 if I had to pick between the two. The only thing I really like better about the S5 is the button placement, makes it so much easier to operate. I prefer the LCD screen over the AmoLED and I like Sense better than touchwiz. I think it all boils down to personal taste. They're both great phones.

If you prefer the M8 take the S5 back and get the M8 then :). If you just got it you should be well within your return period.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
While you may think Samsung has it right for capacitive buttons, Google certainly doesn't. Google wants android phones to have on screen buttons, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they make it a requirement. On screen buttons are more versatile, less prone to breaking, and can be customised (eventually, some manufactures already have it). Like it or not, it is definitely the future.

Do you have evidence this will be the future for sure or is that just an opinion? Google does have standards but sometimes they are lenient on their standards ... and with Samsung selling so many phones they may not twist their arm to have them change this ... Or they may ... Who knows? We are just guessing unless you have read something I haven't :).

NYClawstudent

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
sorry but i dont see buttons disappearing anytime soon. The beauty of andoid is options--and I dont see how google could reasonably enforce having on screen buttons. Not happening.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
sorry but i dont see buttons disappearing anytime soon. The beauty of andoid is options--and I dont see how google could reasonably enforce having on screen buttons. Not happening.

Just like they didn't enforce sd card read/write permissions on us with kit kat huh?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish