Does the Galaxy S5 make calls via WiFi?

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I notice that, when I make calls on the S5 from my house, the Notification Bar shows WiFi active but does not show 4G, 3G, LTE or any other mobile network active. Is it possible that the calls are being made via WiFi?

I also notice no data is being used for those calls. I've had the phone now for a week and have been using it almost 8 hours per day. I only used it outside of the house for a couple of text messages.

My data usage at the ATT web site shows only 58 Mb used of my 2 Gb monthly plan. It appears WiFi is absorbing almost all my usage since I have unlimited data available using WiFi.

brothamoveson

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
You would need a app such as text plus to make calls over WiFi. I have the 2gb plan on both of my lines with AT&T, and we only use about 200mb a month always connected to WiFi at home and work.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I notice that, when I make calls on the S5 from my house, the Notification Bar shows WiFi active but does not show 4G, 3G, LTE or any other mobile network active. Is it possible that the calls are being made via WiFi?

I also notice no data is being used for those calls. I've had the phone now for a week and have been using it almost 8 hours per day. I only used it outside of the house for a couple of text messages.

My data usage at the ATT web site shows only 58 Mb used of my 2 Gb monthly plan. It appears WiFi is absorbing almost all my usage since I have unlimited data available using WiFi.

Do you have cell bars? If so it's not going through wifi. Calls go through the cell network and don't need mobile data. You could be off wifi, disable mobile data, and still be able to call as long as you see cell bars (basically have a signal).

The only carrier that does calls over wifi is T-Mobile. They have a feature called wifi calling which allows customers to place calls through wifi if they want.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Andy Munns

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Could wifi calling interfere with incoming calls? I am having a problem with the wifi affecting my ability to receive calls and texts and wondering if this is linked in some way? Can you turn the wifi calling on and off?

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I know I can use Tango when in Wi Fi and if another person is in Tango, the call goes threw Wi Fi and is free. And if you want you can touch the camera and see each other.

Tried to download Skype. They wanted me to pay .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae