Questions about video playback on the S5

beyondthesmile

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'm considering getting a Samsung S5 (currently an iPhone user) and have some questions about watching videos on the S5.

1) Can MKV and AVI files be played on the S5's stock video app? I recall seeing these listed as supported formats but wanted to double check. I can't transfer these types of files to play on my iPhone.

2) I've read about some potential codec issues with the S5 and am not sure if this would be an issue with the files I tend to use. Is there a way of determining whether my video files would have codec problems on the S5? (i.e.: if it plays in X app on your computer, it will play fine on the S5)

3) In the stock video app can I make video playlists with continuous play, so when one video finishes the next starts playing? (a Play All type function)

Thanks in advance!

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
When you plug your S5 into your computer as a Media Device, if you try to copy video files to the phone it will ask if you want to "Convert and Copy" for the non-supported file types (this works for *.mov and *.wmv files though I have not tried others). The included Video player actually includes an "Auto Play Next" functionality

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I use MX Player (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad&token=Byi5QYWC) it works for all my videos. And it does start the next after the first is played in the video file.
On the developer website it shows that it plays " .3gp .avi .divx .f4v .flv .mkv .mp4 .mpeg .mov .vob .wmv .webm .xvid and many more".

I haven't tried the stock video player on the S5 yet as this one worked for me before and worked on the S5, so I have it set to always go to this player.

beyondthesmile

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
When you plug your S5 into your computer as a Media Device, if you try to copy video files to the phone it will ask if you want to "Convert and Copy" for the non-supported file types (this works for *.mov and *.wmv files though I have not tried others). The included Video player actually includes an "Auto Play Next" functionality

Thank you! Is the S5 basically a plug and go the way you'd use an external HDD (vs using iTunes or some other software)?

beyondthesmile

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I use MX Player (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad&token=bpRUFdcC) it works for all my videos. And it does start the next after the first is played in the video file.
On the developer website it shows that it plays " .3gp .avi .divx .f4v .flv .mkv .mp4 .mpeg .mov .vob .wmv .webm .xvid and many more".

I haven't tried the stock video player on the S5 yet as this one worked for me before and worked on the S5, so I have it set to always go to this player.

Thanks! I'll check out MX Player. :)

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Thank you! Is the S5 basically a plug and go the way you'd use an external HDD (vs using iTunes or some other software)?

Yes! It has to install some driver software but it works like an external HDD with a file and folder system and everything! There is even a file explorer on the phone. Welcome to Android!

Posted via Android Central App

beyondthesmile

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes! It has to install some driver software but it works like an external HDD with a file and folder system and everything! There is even a file explorer on the phone. Welcome to Android!

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks for the welcome! And wow...that's fantastic. Definitely makes moving files on and off the phone so more simpler! thanks for your patience with my newbie questions. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969