Galaxy S5 : Android System using too much battery

S5_GJH

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea what was causing Android OS to kill my battery yesterday but after clearing the cache using the three button method and taking my sim card card, it seems to have settled down.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-02-10-11-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-02-10-11-40.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 66

S5_GJH

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Who can explain this usage today ?? It's immense.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-02-18-37-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-02-18-37-01.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 64

diego.roscetti

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea what was causing Android OS to kill my battery yesterday but after clearing the cache using the three button method and taking my sim card card, it seems to have settled down.

Can you please explain this method in further detail to an Android newbie like myself.

Thanks in advance.

S5_GJH

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Can you please explain this method in further detail to an Android newbie like myself.

Thanks in advance.

Turn your phone off.

Hold down the volume up, home and power buttons. When the phones loads, use the volume button to choose 'clear cache partition' (or something like that).

When done, use the volume up button to choose reboot.

Two days on the trot now I think I have my old battery life back!!! Probably a little bit better to be fair

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-03-22-17-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-03-22-17-35.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 60

Del1701

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Turn your phone off.

Hold down the volume up, home and power buttons. When the phones loads, use the volume button to choose 'clear cache partition' (or something like that).

When done, use the volume up button to choose reboot.

Two days on the trot now I think I have my old battery life back!!! Probably a little bit better to be fair

Thanks for sharing that one 😉 I've just tried it so let's see how my phone goes today

Yathani

May 21, 2013
Visit site
This is a known bug in Kitkat 4.4.2. Everyone has it and it got fixed in my CM ROM 4.4.4. We have to wait for Samsung to to push 4.4.3 to fix the issue. In the meantime, don't waste your human power trying to find a solution because its there since Nov 2013.

Enjoy your phone until the update.

Yathani

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Here are some screen shots from my 4.4.4 CyanogenMod S4.

Attachments

• 541.jpg
    541.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 542.jpg
    542.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 52

Hans M

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Try removing your SD card (if any)

I've been struggling with this exact problem on my almost brand-new S5 with Android 4.4.2: constant draining of the battery even when the phone is completely idle, losing almost 10 percentage points of charge an hour. Battery status consistently shows that Android system and/or OS are the culprits.

After trying out all the suggestions found here and in other forums without success, I finally realised that I had my SD card plugged in. I couldn't get it to mount, possibly because of all the KitKat changes relating to SD cards, but forgot about it and left it in.

Anyway, I removed the SD card and suddenly, battery lifetime improved drastically.

While this may not be the silver bullet for all of you, you may want to check this.

hellodmo

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Try removing your SD card (if any)

What fixed it for me was making sure that "Turn off Wifi during sleep" was set to "Never" in Wifi Advanced options.

Sam Roza

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I started having this problem after enabling wifi calling. It seems that wifi calling just leaves wifi connected. So since my phone no longer made it through the day without needing a charge anymore, I:

- Disabled wifi calling
- Disabled constant location services
- Used bloatware freezer to disable about 100 different sprint/samsung/unnecessary services
- Disabled LTE so that my Airrave works while at my home (replacing wifi calling)

Yesterday was the first day I had to evaluate my phone, and instead of ~10% remaining at 9pm, it was still over 60%. At 0300, there was still about 50% left on the battery.

Great features and services on the S5, but many of them are just battery drains with no discernable purpose (like ANT).

I should note that Android System and Android OS are still the top 2 drains on the battery, and I'd like to see that eliminated, but for now this will do.

mbratch

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I am using an LG G2 on the Verizon network.

According to zdnet article from March 2014, Google has acknowledged an issue with KitKat power management and Google recommended uninstalling Skype as a work around. I am trying that now... (none of the other suggestions so far have worked for me).

[EDIT] Well, so far so good after about an hour or so. For the first time in quite awhile, the Android System battery utilization dropped below the Screen utilization. Here are the before and after. Not terribly dramatic, but it's something... I still think KitKat Android System and Android OS are using excessive power.

2014-10-22-08-05-13.png 2014-10-22-11-55-22.png

Last edited:

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
For some odd reason my s5 lost it's mind yesterday . The os was using way to much battery . Tried clearing the cache nope didn't help . Did an FDR and the phones back to normal . Not really sure what caused the phone to freak out . OH well.

BR34KF4ST

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Okay i found it.is this normal?i use very little and it drains while i am not using it.is this normal for seldom use?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-26-13-38-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-26-13-38-32.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_2014-10-26-13-38-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-26-13-38-29.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 33

Calin Alexander

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
These two things seem to have worked for me,

Uninstall Skype

Reboot phone in recovery mode and clear the cache

----
Even though the system still uses quite a bit (more than I think it should compared to the screen) this gave me the battery life I remember when I first had the phone, two days of use before charging and not to mention standby actually holds a charge... Having the phone locked for a few hours only drained 1% now.

Crimzaelus

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I am seeing the same thing happen to my Galaxy S5, on the Rogers network here in Canada.

Read through this thread and performed these steps:

Boot into recovery mode > wipe cache partition > reboot
Checked settings > go under Connect and Share > disabled NFC, Printing, Screen Mirroring, these were all on. I turned them all off now.
Also disabled Samsung account sync and uninstalled the All Share Dongle S/W Update.

Will see what happens!

Viktolicious

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I am seeing the same thing happen to my Galaxy S5, on the Rogers network here in Canada.

Read through this thread and performed these steps:

Boot into recovery mode > wipe cache partition > reboot
Checked settings > go under Connect and Share > disabled NFC, Printing, Screen Mirroring, these were all on. I turned them all off now.
Also disabled Samsung account sync and uninstalled the All Share Dongle S/W Update.

Will see what happens!

I did that and my battery life improved significantly. Turn off your phone - start the phone while holding volume down, home button and the lock button - Select the alternative wipe cache partition with the lock button - start the phone.

Now I wipe cache every week or when my battery doesn't last a day. Thanks for this thread and the tip within it!

jawyshot

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
this is ridiculous. I just got a Note 4 and my wife a S5 through Verizon. We turned everthing off we could in applications and unchecked the "show notifcations" block. I thought we just got a dud or the battery was bad. I really dislike i-phones, but if Android can't do any better than this we may change. She has the same apps installed that were on her S3 and it would stay up for a day and a half. The S5 was dead with minimal usage by 1:30 PM today and had been taken off charge around 6 AM. Not sure why her android system is peaking at 24%, but am very upset with S5. Normal users should not have to do any of this crap to use dinky apps and a phone for a phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney