Galaxy S5 : Android System using too much battery

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I can't for the life of me figure out why the Android System is using more battery than my display. This is when the display is turned on for 4+ hours in a single charge. My first day with the S5 the display was #1 but ever since its been Android System.

Is this negatively impacting battery? Every phone I've used the display is the battery hog. Any fix? I'm out of ideas.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Mine's the same way, Android System is at 19% and Display is at 16%.

That being said, I'm at 16 hours on the current charge and have 48% battery life left.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I feel like today has been awful. 2 hours and 20 minutes of off the charger time and I'm at 86%. On WiFi for all but 20 minutes.
a3azydeq.jpg
yqa9arym.jpg

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I can't for the life of me figure out why the Android System is using more battery than my display. This is when the display is turned on for 4+ hours in a single charge. My first day with the S5 the display was #1 but ever since its been Android System.

Is this negatively impacting battery? Every phone I've used the display is the battery hog. Any fix? I'm out of ideas.

What have you tried? Did you get an update?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
What have you tried? Did you get an update?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

No update. My first two days were great. No background updates other than Gmail. Did reboots but it seems KitKat on S4 (from Google search) and S5 are doing this. I just don't get it.

edge4628

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same issues. I leave my phone on airplane most of the day as I get no service at work, I have wifi off when sleeping and still my battery drains.

Screenshot_2014-04-15-15-04-33.jpg Screenshot_2014-04-15-15-04-44.jpg

Screenshot_2014-04-17-15-12-25.jpg Screenshot_2014-04-17-15-12-31.jpg Screenshot_2014-04-17-15-13-55.jpg

Screenshot_2014-04-22-09-12-50.jpg Screenshot_2014-04-22-09-12-56.jpg

The thing that bugs me is that I have been spending most of my time for the last two weeks trying to find ways to save battery and it is barely working, or at best working inconsistently. I might need to try a replacement. What do you guys think?

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Activate Ultra Power Savings by using TWO fingures to pull down the settings. A 100% battery charge can last 12 days and still allow calls, messages and the internet. However, its all in black and white and all other apps are suspended. I turn it on every night when I sleep.

Last edited:

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Activate Ultra Power Savings by using TWO figures to pull down the settings. A 100% battery charge can lase 12 days and still allow calls, messages and the internet. However, its all in black and white and all other apps are suspended. I turn it on every night when I sleep.

Why not just plug it in when you sleep?

Posted via Android Central App

Benmt

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok everyone. I just restored my Galaxy S5 ( AT&T) to factory defaults and then after the restore I turned off location completely. I will let you know. As of right now it's showing the display using more battery than the OS. But I also think there's an OS update. I'm going to check that out next.
**update**
No update for the OS.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok everyone. I just restored my Galaxy S5 ( AT&T) to factory defaults and then after the restore I turned off location completely. I will let you know. As of right now it's showing the display using more battery than the OS. But I also think there's an OS update. I'm going to check that out next.

I am not sure which if any US providers got the update yet but Verizon for sure hasn't. I'm hoping for a fix because the one time my display used more the battery was excellent.

Chris Abbott

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Looks like some of you guys are having the same "glitch" I am...under battery stats, the mobile network signal has gaps of "black" or "blank space" in between where it should be green or yellow or whatever. Weird.

I've also noticed that my android system is using more battery then the display. This issue seemed to have started today.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No update. My first two days were great. No background updates other than Gmail. Did reboots but it seems KitKat on S4 (from Google search) and S5 are doing this. I just don't get it.

Try a cache clear in recovery?

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Why not just plug it in when you sleep?

Posted via Android Central App

If you go to work every day, do both. Plug it in every night and only use Ultra Power Saving in the day. You will have full internet, phone and message capabilities with maximum battery life each day. You then can leave off UPS on weekends and holidays to enjoy all the other apps.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
It's a KitKat problem with Location.

My GS4 has had this on and off for the past few weeks and each time I've turned Off Location, Android System drops dramatically, something very wrong with KitKat's location management.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It's a KitKat problem with Location.

My GS4 has had this on and off for the past few weeks and each time I've turned Off Location, Android System drops dramatically, something very wrong with KitKat's location management.

I just disabled location services completely so we will see how it does.

Fdmstng99

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I just disabled location services completely so we will see how it does.

I had this issue with my Moto X, the Android OS was using at time over 50%. I turned off location service and disable a few things, never did get it to go below 35%. Hope my S5 doesn't start this.

Jasburyy

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I hate the battery usage on this phone, and its going back...check out the time on, and battery level in this pic, along with Android2014-04-24 09.02.08.jpg system