Anyone else notice " red light " in sensor on S5?

Xzibit3

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone else notice a red light the first sensor on the right of the ear piece? When i was laying in bed, with the lights off, looking at the phone, I saw a red light and it sometimes flashed. Anyone know what this is?

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 : Red Light In Sensor

Does anyone else notice a red light the first sensor on the right of the ear piece? When i was laying in bed, with the lights off, looking at the phone, I saw a red light and it sometimes flashed. Anyone know what this is?

The sensors to the right if the earpiece are supposed to be a proximity sensor, which shuts off the display and touch screen when you're on the phone.

I don't think they blink, though. Are you sure that your not just seeing the status LED in the dark?

Mark

Posted via Android Central App

Xzibit3

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

The sensors to the right if the earpiece are supposed to be a proximity sensor, which shuts off the display and touch screen when you're on the phone.

I don't think they blink, though. Are you sure that your not just seeing the status LED in the dark?

Mark

Posted via Android Central App
It was in this sensor.
View attachment 114389

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

When charging, a red led turns on and then turns green when fully charged. Maybe that it the red light you are seeing.

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

The red light on the front of the phone near the top-left?

That's the low-battery/battery charging LED.

It turns GREEN when fully charged and blinks BLUE if you have any notifications. If your battery is low, it'll blink RED. It'll stay solid RED when charging until it's fully charged also.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

I notice you are in Ultra Power Savings in that image and with 92% battery charge your image shows only 1.7 days left on standby. Mine is at 94% and shows 11.70 days left on standby.

Something is wrong aside from that led light in the upper right. Call your carrier or Samsung tech support.

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

I agree. But that light from the proximity sensor is worrying me. I know one of those holes is an IR EMITTER, and the other is an IR RECEIVER. But the key is that it's infrared. You shouldn't be able to see it at all. Perhaps you have superhuman vision? :-D

Mark

Gemma Bell

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

I have had my s5 for a few months and only just noticed the same thing tonight. I have no idea why it suddenly came on and it doesn't seem to turn off. Has anyone figured out what the light is and what it's for?

Byron 5

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

Hi everyone.
I think I know the solution. It is the proximity sensor and that feint red light should be there and it means that you have something on like Air Gestures etc. I am getting an S5 soon but even on my S3 it comes on when making calls cause as you know when you are calling, the screen goes off near your ear. It's perfectly fine and you shouldn't be worried. If you want to check what I am saying, just switch off ALL Air Gestures etc. and it should go off.

taylorpuss

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

I have been noticing the same thing the past couple weeks and it is never when I am talking on the phone. It randomly comes on and then sometimes flashes. Then it goes away after a long time and I'll notice it's on again.

Kris Sumser

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Did any one actually figure out what this is? Mine has the red dot on all the time regardless of whether air gestures are on or not. My husbands Galaxy s5 also has the red dot and he never has air gestures on. The red light has been on since I bought the phone in April.

flaviu.vlaicu

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site

Hello,
I have managed to turn de red light on from the sensor on an Galaxy S4.This is how I done it.I have called from another phone the S4 and answered.While in call, minimised the call and opened gallery and tapped on a random picture.After tapping the picture the red light is on and you can also make gestures while in call.If you turn the gestures off the light is no loger there, but the in call screen work on and off like it should.The same thing is with my S5.There also are some infrared sensors that you can see slight red in the dark coming out of them.

2visted

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site

I just noticed this light while laying in bed. I thought I'd take a photo and was surprised at how bright this light is through the camera. I took a photo, see link below (had to include spaces in order to post)

tinypic. com/view.php? pic=10dhxj4&s=8#.VAiddoE_7qA

Xzibit3

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

I just noticed this light while laying in bed. I thought I'd take a photo and was surprised at how bright this light is through the camera. I took a photo, see link below (had to include spaces in order to post)

tinypic. com/view.php? pic=10dhxj4&s=8#.VAiddoE_7qA

It's the sensor for the air gestures and what not, if you turn them all of and look at it, it won't be there. Atleast that is the case for mine.

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

That happens on mine when I'm in contacts or in a text message but that is because I have the "direct call" feature enabled which is the thing that will call the contact currently displayed. The proximity sensor turns on to see if I put the phone to my face

Posted via the Android Central App

2visted

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site

I have none of these options on in the first place and I double checked, the light remains.

I really don't care about the light being on, I just want to know why it's on......my curiosity kills. -.-

Goomba06

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site

It could very well be the infrared sensor. Xbox one has a bunch that shine red and appear to blink when you move your head. If you grab another smartphone or a digital camera, go in dark room with minimal light. Point the camera at your device. If you see a purple beam on the screen from this red light than it is your IR sensor. Make sure to point the red light directly into camera.

Jojomannoh

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site

after 3 weeks, i finally solved this.

PROXIMITY SENSOR LIGHT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ON ALL THE TIME. that just drains ur battery

So I took my galaxy s5 for repairs and the idiots flashed it with a different stock. Got home and this annoying proximity sensor just wont quit. Blinking, blinking. Restart didnt work. No viber installed. All air gestures off. I noticed that after restart it will stay off but comes on after i make a call. I knew this was not normal behaviour since it worked ok before the repair, same settings, same apps.

Solution is that u have an app running that is using air gestures. U need to find it. For me it was an ir remote app that had the air gestures feature on. Dont know why it wasnt on before.

this is what i did
1. Make sure the proximity sensor is blinking like it is not supposed to do. ;)
2. Go to app manager
3. Check running apps
4. Stop the apps one by one and see if the red light goes off. Check light after each stop. Try non-native apps

*******Death to the proximity sensor light****

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs