Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rexbaumgartner
  • 1 Post By Greg C
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unbiased opinions needed

I went to this forum which could easily be biased but I own the HTC One M8 and love the phone but the non removable battery and no mophie case yet are weighing heavy on me. Battery life is ok I think ( 33% usage in 7 hours today but light usage), the screen is great but not so much outdoors and I like the Sense UI and love the build quality.

It seems my battery isn't as great as others on this site which could be coverage strength. I was all for the S5 until it was actually announced and it just seemed to me to look kiddy and filled with bloatware and unnecessary features. I'm a sales rep for a cell company and I'm feeling very on the fence. Basically if the M8 had a removable battery I wouldn't even look at the S5 but what do you guys think I should do?

Default Re: Unbiased opinions needed

I'm loving my s5 so far. Battery life is great i get about 15 hours of use a day with it. and I love being able to take the phone in the shower. Also I use the heart rate monitor and it works great.

The only thing that is not so great is the finger Scanner .

I had the M7 and loved it.... Hated the battery though. I have had the S5 for about a week. I am a policeman and we work 12 hour shifts. I consider myself to be a moderate - heavy user.

One evening while watching the ball game and poking around on my phone, I notices my battery level was at 27%. About 17 hours had passed since I unplugged the phone at 4:45 AM!

I enjoy taking pictures and have found the camera to be amazing.

Camera + Battery life = Phone for me!

Rex

PS. Never thought this phone was kid-ish

Posted via Android Central App
    nonie likes this.

Kiddish? I have Nova Launcher & Handscent with vintage icons so I only use TW for the dialer and the settings. Never walk out of the house without an extra battery. Enjoy

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Let me rephrase...I was upset that they went with the plastic again plus I think the metal build on the HTC is perfect to especially since rumors were the S5 was supposed to have it. Kiddy might have been the wrong word

Coming from someone who came from a Nexus 5, I actually have found that touchwiz is not that bad. I like some of the features that are added, and some of them I can do without, and therefore just don't use them. As far as battery life goes, I too work 12 hour shifts and am enjoying this 2800 mah battery. Went to bed the other night after working all day, had 20% battery with over 4 hours of SOT. I'm not so much a Samsung fan, but an Android fan, and I am enjoying this phone greatly.

Sent from my badass Samsung Galaxy S5

You could always carry a Juice Pack to supplement your battery life. You really can't go wrong with either phone. I've found the battery life to be very comparable on both of them. If you think the spare battery charger with an extra battery will be a good fit for you, the S5 is a solid device. Great display, great camera, and Touchwiz is not nearly as awful as some claim it to be. I personally use the M8, but I could understand wanting the removable battery.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcheesedanish View Post
    Let me rephrase...I was upset that they went with the plastic again plus I think the metal build on the HTC is perfect to especially since rumors were the S5 was supposed to have it. Kiddy might have been the wrong word
    I like the plastic. Third plastic Samsung and they have held up well. My S2 kicked it for 28 months without a scratch. I put a $9.90 tpu case on them so I wouldn't even feel the M8 if I happen to buy one which I won't.

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

If you're more concerned about what your phone looks like, or what you look like to the rest of the world while you're using it, I think you should stick with the M8. If you're more concerned about how your phone works, and what it does for you, then I'd use whichever one offered you more of what you want or need and less of what you don't. For me that's the S5 and I looked hard at both phones before deciding.

I enjoy taking pictures and have found the camera to be amazing.

Global Posts
    1,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

The S5 has a fantastic battery. The battery is 100% better than the battery on my Nexus 4. The Super AMOLED 1080P HD display is just incredible. The phone doesn't feel cheap. It's about as slippery as any other phone. I read that the M8 is very slippery because of the aluminum build. The M8 has better sound because of the speakers in the front, but most people are probably going to use headphones anyways. Trust me about the display on the S5...it is just gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcheesedanish View Post
    I went to this forum which could easily be biased but I own the HTC One M8 and love the phone but the non removable battery and no mophie case yet are weighing heavy on me. Battery life is ok I think ( 33% usage in 7 hours today but light usage), the screen is great but not so much outdoors and I like the Sense UI and love the build quality.

It seems my battery isn't as great as others on this site which could be coverage strength. I was all for the S5 until it was actually announced and it just seemed to me to look kiddy and filled with bloatware and unnecessary features. I'm a sales rep for a cell company and I'm feeling very on the fence. Basically if the M8 had a removable battery I wouldn't even look at the S5 but what do you guys think I should do?
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.
    nonie likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Default Wait for S5 Prime? GetS5? Have HTC One

I bought the HTC One M8 full retail for $250 (special offer similar to when Moto X retail was on sale through site). I love it but the smaller, non removable battery is a bummer and some other cons like camera. I have an iPhone 4s as my spare phone that I could trade in to Verizon now for $200 and get an S5 and make the M8 my spare phone. What do you all think? Should I wait out until after the summer?