Data Usage

scholls22

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
First time Android user here. My data cycle just started over at midnight. My phone was connected to wifi all night. I was looking forward to using the data usage feature under settings. When I made sure everything reset this morning, I saw apps had already used data, some of which I have not even opened. All usage is very low and minimal, however, after 30 days it may add up and could be the difference in paying 15.00 in overage charges.

The biggest culprit is Android OS 6.40 mb. It doubled in 10 minutes. What could that be? Google+ 1.04mb, Milk -263kb, Twitter 147kb. Milk and Twitter have not even been opened.

Thanks for all input. I am mostly concerned about the android os

killakumes

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
First time Android user here. My data cycle just started over at midnight. My phone was connected to wifi all night. I was looking forward to using the data usage feature under settings. When I made sure everything reset this morning, I saw apps had already used data, some of which I have not even opened. All usage is very low and minimal, however, after 30 days it may add up and could be the difference in paying 15.00 in overage charges.

The biggest culprit is Android OS 6.40 mb. It doubled in 10 minutes. What could that be? Google+ 1.04mb, Milk -263kb, Twitter 147kb. Milk and Twitter have not even been opened.

Thanks for all input. I am mostly concerned about the android os

First take a deep breathe and relax. Data usage measures the total amount of data being transferred to and from your phone over all the networks (WiFi, cellular and 4g LTE). That feature is not supposed to be used to track your data plan usage.

Second, if your really concerned , make sure the smart network switch feature that switches between WiFi and 4g LTE to maintain a stable network connection is off. That way if you have connected to even the faintest WiFi signal then it won't automatically switch to 4g LTE.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

scholls22

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
First take a deep breathe and relax. Data usage measures the total amount of data being transferred to and from your phone over all the networks (WiFi, cellular and 4g LTE). That feature is not supposed to be used to track your data plan usage.

Second, if your really concerned , make sure the smart network switch feature that switches between WiFi and 4g LTE to maintain a stable network connection is off. That way if you have connected to even the faintest WiFi signal then it won't automatically switch to 4g LTE.

I have the box unchecked for displaying wifi usage. It is just showing cellular.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

How does one get to that switch?

killakumes

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the box unchecked for displaying wifi usage. It is just showing cellular.

Either way the only reliable way to check you data usage is with your carrier. This get muddled with location services and such because although the phone views GPS as mobile data it doesn't count towards most carriers data plans. Also every time you send/receive a text you use mobile data that the phone counts on the tracker but carriers track those on messaging plans.

I'm not sure what kind of data plan your on but honestly just by looking at your usage its really minimal even stretched over a 30 day cycle. The way I see it you have a couple options. One is to turn off each individual apps background processes but that leads to the question of why purchase a smart phone in the first place. Second if you're really worried about data overages just purchase more data. Making an investment in a phone with these capabilities you have to assume there with be a required data investment.

I personally share 10 GB with 3 other lines (1 s5 and 2 iPhone 5s's) we use WiFi when we have it but I really don't think about data usage at all when I'm on the go nor am I worried about overages. We'be never used more than 3 GB of data in a given month collectively.