You can use any Micro USB cable to charge the S5

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes this is correct. Just beware that data transfer speeds may be slower in usb 2.0.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Mike2U

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S5 the other day I plugged in a random cable and the phone gave me a message saying to use the original cable if I want to charge ar full speed. It totally explained why sometimes chargibg from a 1 to 2 Amp charger it would take forever.

Last edited:

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S5 the other day I plugged in a random cable and the phone gave me a message saying to use the original cable if I want to charge ar full speed. It totally explained why sometimes chargibg from a 1 to 2 Amp charger it would take forever.

strange, never seen that. i only use the 3.0 cable to data transfer from my computer, all charging is done on monoprice or old samsung usb cables, and mostly anker chargers, the car and 40w 5 port rock.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I never worry about it..........

that is what Qi wireless chargers are for......... and they are "Old School" as to speed.

Mine charges at 650 mA even though it is using my Samsung 2.1 amp charger module.

thebigbry

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
While I just now got an S5 so not sure about it. Be careful about the ANY micro USB.. In my old S4, I wasted both the original and extended battery by using my wife's Kindle charger. I did both because I didn't realize that was the reason. I plugged in original one day and it worked did this a couple times and the battery started getting worse and worse. I realized it was bloated. didn't put the 2 together. It got so bad I ordered an extended battery. after a few months of this amazingly awesome battery. one day it was getting low and the Kindle charger was handy. so i used it. I noticed the phone got real hot. and sure enough the battery life went to crap. Yep it bloated it too.