Fragile Charging Port Cover

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I can't post the link but on ebay a store in Hong Kong has them 3.49 (shipping is free). It took 7 days to get to me (oregon). Ordered a few and couldn't be happier.... Search "USB cover Samsung galaxy s5) and it's one of the first few😉

Sent from my rooted Verizon galaxy s5

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Where are they breaking off at? I bought a used S5 and the dude said he pulled the cover off because it was annoying having to pull the cover off every time he wanted to charge it. Looking at the where it broke, the cover pulled off the black plastic part that goes in the phone. I unscrewed the cover and pulled out the black piece and a drop of super blue it was back on, working for about 3 days now.

steev89

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
First one I had broke but they replaced the phone for me pretty quickly so far this one has held on well for the last couple months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy S5 Waterproof Charger Cover USA Shipped Retail New: Cell Phones & Accessories

Part is available on amazon. I just bought one there, it ships from USA easy to install and don't need to turn my S5 in for someone elses refurb....and almost $10 cheaper than the other amazon link above :)

I bought 3 just in case I break it again :)

Not OEM.

I'd be very reluctant to buy any product that claims "water proof" rather than "water resistant". If the retailer was selling an actual Samsung product the listing would reflect the true capability of the cover.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

rebus66

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'll never buy another Samsung phone. Paid $600 for a flagship, "ip67 rated" phone only to have one of the main components that makes it water resistant, the charging port cover, just fall off after 5 weeks. Mind you I treat my phone delicately and usually only charge it every second day. Called Samsung and T-Mobile only to have them tell me that the defect in their phone is considered "physical damage" on my part. So, me using the phone exactly as it is supposed to be used I. E. charging it every once in awhile, has physically damaged the phone in such a way that the manufacturer will do nothing to replace or fix it. I could use the "insurance" I've been paying for, but there's the slight matter of a $100 deductible. OR I could buy dodgy replacement parts off the Internet and fix it myself. Setting aside the matter of whether of not these replacement parts will affect the tradein value of my phone, should I really be expected to have to repair such an expensive, obviously inherently defective phone? Complete horsesh*t. Never again, Samsung.

Last edited:

JSG59

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, there is a replacement part on eBay for less than ten dollars, just search up Samsung galaxy s5 charging port cover and you'll get a replacement part :) I just ordered mine and it came in the mail 3 days after I ordered it!

Richard Paterala

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Search "s5 charger port cover" on Amazon. There are PRIME options available which should get to you under 2 day shipping for around $11
really easy to replace and available on the cheap. If you want the waterproof function to still be a feature on your phone, this is what I did. Works perfect and is the OEM part.

Just a suggestion.

Sometimes I heard providers will give you the 10-15 bill credit on your bill for you because this broke off. Also, worth a shot.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I'll never buy another Samsung phone. Paid $600 for a flagship, "ip67 rated" phone only to have one of the main components that makes it water resistant, the charging port cover, just fall off after 5 weeks. Mind you I treat my phone delicately and usually only charge it every second day. Called Samsung and T-Mobile only to have them tell me that the defect in their phone is considered "physical damage" on my part. So, me using the phone exactly as it is supposed to be used I. E. charging it every once in awhile, has physically damaged the phone in such a way that the manufacturer will do nothing to replace or fix it. I could use the "insurance" I've been paying for, but there's the slight matter of a $100 deductible. OR I could buy dodgy replacement parts off the Internet and fix it myself. Setting aside the matter of whether of not these replacement parts will affect the tradein value of my phone, should I really be expected to have to repair such an expensive, obviously inherently defective phone? Complete horsesh*t. Never again, Samsung.

I understand your frustration but I think you're overreacting. It sounds like you'd put a dog to sleep because it broke a toe nail. LOL

Just buy a replacement on ebay for 3 dollars or pay more for the "OEM" one in the link above and replace it. It will take you less than 5 minutes, far less time than you've already spent on the phone with Samsung and your carrier.

I agree that it's crap that Samsung just calls it user damage but let's be real, it's an inexpensive plastic piece that is held on by 1 screw.

NTHAPYWITSSUNGS5

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I HAVE HAD MY S5 FOR ABOUT 3and half months now, and my charging port cover has broken off for the 2nd time. The funny thing is that I HAVE NOT EVEN BEEN USING THE PORT COVER UNTIL YESTERDAY CUZ AFTER THE 1st time it broke of i bought the qi wireless charging accessories. yesterday i got brave and decided to charge my phone in the car, well that was a mistake, cuz the piece of **** broke off again. Well needless to say i called Samsung who is obviously in complete denial of this serious design flaw since it voids all warranties. Well after not having my phone for almost 3 weeks i am not willing to give it up again, so i did some research and you can manually replace the cover and ebay sells them in packs of 5 for bout 25 bucks, so what does that tell you. OH AND THE SAMSUNG REP LIED TO ME AND TOLD ME IF I DID IT MYSELF I WOULD BREAK THE PHONE. LMAFO SMH SAMSUNG GOT SUM EXPLAINING TO DO.

Posted via the Android Central App

Three7s

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I have had my S5 since day 1 in April. I open and close the port cover at least 4 times daily. No issues to date.

Lisa White3

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
Yes be careful. I had to replace mine too. If the new S6 still has this awful flap i'm going back to HTC . The new One M9. Always have to be so careful and it doesn't close flush to the bottom. Hate this!

Cjc2

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Mine fell off. Happened to just see it on the floor. Not covered by Geek Squad Best Buy warranty as " not necessary " to function of phone". If moisture gets in and ruins phone- that'd covered! So I could wait for that to happen or help it along- then it's $150 non - refundable fee to just have them look at it- repair is extra and then I get someone else's refurbished phone back with all my data gone. Just ordered a $2.25 free shipping piece from Amazon . There is a video showing the five minute repair. Thanks for nothing, Best Buy! Will go elsewhere when I need a new phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad