New to Android, Pls Help Badge Pop Ups

mrmarcus86

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey, thanks for reading this.

I just switched from iphone to S5 and have love this phone (besides apples ridiculous imessage ordeal)

So im on Verizon and the Message+ was showing that there was an unread message "1" even though all the messages had been opened. So I followed instructions from this post http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...s-says-i-have-new-message-but-i-do-not-3.html which lead me to

settings - applications-application manager - badgeprovider and clear data

I rebooted, everything was good except now I dont get any message notifications (I do receive a banner notification on the upper left hand corner.)

Got Go SMS which is interesting but that didnt show any icons either.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Unless you have a compelling reason to use the Verizon messaging on your phone, I'd switch to the built in messenger or use a third party app like Handcent.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Unless you have a compelling reason to use the Verizon messaging on your phone, I'd switch to the built in messenger or use a third party app like Handcent.

The compelling reason to use Verizon Messaging is that you can use it to send and receive SMS/MMS on any device i.e. tablet, phone, computer regardless of the OS as long as it has a data connection. I cant think of another app that does that for free. Plus your message history is synced to your new device when you activate the app.

Handcent or stock doesnt even come close to doing what VM can do.

mrmarcus86

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys, I'm new to droid and verizon. Messages+ was the default I think the other is samsung messages.

Its not the end of the world to not get notifications but its a little pet peeve of mine.

Does anyone know an easy way to participate in group chats with iphone users? Sometimes I respond back to the group and it sends to individuals instead.

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I have the Verizon messaging app on my tablet but I don't use it on my phone. I don't see why you would use it on your phone....

The panda has spoken

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
The compelling reason to use Verizon Messaging is that you can use it to send and receive SMS/MMS on any device i.e. tablet, phone, computer regardless of the OS as long as it has a data connection. I cant think of another app that does that for free. Plus your message history is synced to your new device when you activate the app.

Which is why I said "unless" :)

Google Hangouts does the same thing as well.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Which is why I said "unless" :)

Google Hangouts does the same thing as well.

IDKKT. I can send a SMS from Hangouts on my computer to any phone? Even if they dont have Hangouts installed? The receiving phone doesnt need VM installed to receive a SMS from VM... it just needs to be able to receive SMS.

alil25

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I also switched from iPhone to the S5 and am using the Samsung messaging app. It took a few days to get used to but now I really like it. I'm using a picture I took for the background which is better than the boring backgrounds in the app itself. Also, you can change the settings within the app so that you get pop ups (I just realized this yesterday). I tried message+ for a little bit and didn't like it so I uninstalled it. So far I've had no problems sending pictures or video to iPhone users.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I use Textra sms with Nils app. By using both you can get notifications on the lock screen just like an iPhone.

Both apps work great

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinmo