Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default screen is on all night while charging, anyway to turn it off

Hello all,
    I'm within my 2nd week with the galaxy S5, still trying to learn my way around, always been a fan of Android so this is my first experience and so far I love the phone and the OS.
    I have a question, I activated the notification panel and also added the Nils notification. Im ok with the phone turning on any notification and then turning off but at night when I connect it to the charger and turn it off it probably takes 5 minutes before it turns on and stays like that all night long.

Any ideas on how to turning the screen off without turning the phone off, I dont like turning my phone off since you never know when you will get a late call. Btw, I try to shut the screen and it stay off for a couple minutes but turns on again.

Default Re: screen is on all night while charging, anyway to turn it off

How do you know it stays on all night? Do YOU stay up all night? I'd factory reset it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jackson View Post
    How do you know it stays on all night? Do YOU stay up all night? I'd factory reset it.
    I have woken up a couple times at night and it is on.

Hmmmm....that is odd. You may want to factory reset it.

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot_01 View Post
    I have woken up a couple times at night and it is on.
    check that daydream is off 1st before reset

settings/display/daydream this runs a screensaver whilst charging sounds like you have it on but no saver selected

Ooooo I didn't even think of that!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by sjaduae View Post
    check that daydream is off 1st before reset

settings/display/daydream this runs a screensaver whilst charging sounds like you have it on but no saver selected
    daydream is off. if I do a factory reset will anything drastically change? I havent tinkered much with the phone, possibly assign pics and ringtone to contacts, new wallpaper, a couple apps and the notification Nils.
    anything that I have to worry when resetting?

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts

daydream is off. if I do a factory reset will anything drastically change? I havent tinkered much with the phone, possibly assign pics and ringtone to contacts, new wallpaper, a couple apps and the notification Nils.
    anything that I have to worry when resetting?
    If most of that is backed up with google it should come back when you sign back in with your account

Have you turned off and tried charging to see if you get the nice bubble animation ?

Then turn on and charge to see if screen still stays on

Maybe the charger or the socket is loose and the power is fluctuating ? do you hear a beep when power is connected or when it's charging sometimes ?

Also if you have the developer options on there is an option to keep the screen on while charging. You might check that also.

Posted via Android Central App
    atg284 and jeepmanjr like this.

my S5 screen turns off at the time out I have set... which is 10 minutes.

But, if you will install Battery Doctor app, you will gain a faster charge time, and more control over the screen and other apps.
    Battery Doctor will kill off all apps that are running after the screen times out.
    You can set up exceptions if you want.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

thanks for the tip, I will check the app out. I checked last night, I noticed that when I put the phone face down it remains off, you might ask how i know this because my dogs woke me up a couple times during the night and I flipped the phone and the screen was off. Same thing had happened night before but the phone was facing up, every time I woke up the screen was on.
    Might be a light sensor or something?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Hello all, I read this on a S4 forum and it worked, the problem was on the developers option, the Stay Awake was clicked on, this means the screen will never sleep while charging. If you are having this problem just go to Settings, Developers option and unselect Stay Awake.
    atg284 and jeepmanjr like this.

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AZwldcats View Post
    Also if you have the developer options on there is an option to keep the screen on while charging. You might check that also.

I had to do this to keep the screen off during charging. enable developer mode. Once in developer mode turn off the option to keep the screen on while charging like AZwldcats said
    Thanked by:

Mine will come back on when the charge hits 100%. My case has a front panel so I won't see it but it still bothers me.

I have the same problem. The screen comes on with a notification (usually that it is fully charged) and will then stay on. Daydream is off, SmartStay is off and the StayAwake on the Developer Options is grayed out and I can't find a way to wake it so it isn't gray to be able to uncheck it if it is. Any other ideas?

I think it's a safety feature...batteries will develop a memory over time. You should always unplug your rechargeable devices when they are full, likewise, you should drain them all the way down occasionally too.
    ice bank mice elf

Quote Originally Posted by BrainSmashR View Post
    I think it's a safety feature...batteries will develop a memory over time. You should always unplug your rechargeable devices when they are full, likewise, you should drain them all the way down occasionally too.
    I don't think this applies to modern batteries. It was true a few years ago, but from my reading, "battery memory" isn't an issue with lithium batteries. It's also a little risky to drain a lithium battery to zero, because if it reaches true zero, it's irreversibly discharged.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBubby View Post
    I have the same problem. The screen comes on with a notification (usually that it is fully charged) and will then stay on. Daydream is off, SmartStay is off and the StayAwake on the Developer Options is grayed out and I can't find a way to wake it so it isn't gray to be able to uncheck it if it is. Any other ideas?
    Go to the settings menu on your GS5.
    Scroll down to the "System section and tap "About Device."
    Now scroll down to "Build number."
    Tap the "Build number" section seven times. (You'll see a warning that you're about to unlock developer options.)
    Now back out to the main settings menu, and you'll see "Developer options" listed.

It isn't Developer Options that is grayed out, it is the StayAwake inside that that is grayed out. And it's a little tough to unplug your device when it fully charges in the middle of the night ;P

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Hello all, I read this on a S4 forum and it worked, the problem was on the developers option, the Stay Awake was clicked on, this means the screen will never sleep while charging. If you are having this problem just go to Settings, Developers option and unselect Stay Awake.
    Fixed my wife's S5 - worked like a charm!! Thanks a million!

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

The problem I have found with these fixes is that the don't address the root problem, which is that a screen which has been manually turned off (via the power button), turns on automatically when the charge reaches 100%. It seems to be a bug or oversight in the programming of Kit Kat or the S5. I choose to have my phone set up such that it will "stay awake" when the battery is charging (by ticking that box in the Developer options area) because I sometimes use the phone in the car on a dashboard mount, plugged into a charger, and I don't want the screen to turn off. When I plug the phone in to charge it at night, I press the power button, which turns of the screen and I place the phone face down beside the bed. When it hits 100%, the screen turns on again and sits there on until I notice it and turn it off. Certainly I could turn the phone off at night to avoid this, but then I would not receive or place urgent calls (it is my only phone). As well, I could turn off the stay awake option, but for reasons noted I don't want to do so. The solution here, in my view, is a change in the programming of the software to stop this from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by lifesaver1 View Post
    The problem I have found with these fixes is that the don't address the root problem, which is that a screen which has been manually turned off (via the power button), turns on automatically when the charge reaches 100%. It seems to be a bug or oversight in the programming of Kit Kat or the S5. I choose to have my phone set up such that it will "stay awake" when the battery is charging (by ticking that box in the Developer options area) because I sometimes use the phone in the car on a dashboard mount, plugged into a charger, and I don't want the screen to turn off. When I plug the phone in to charge it at night, I press the power button, which turns of the screen and I place the phone face down beside the bed. When it hits 100%, the screen turns on again and sits there on until I notice it and turn it off. Certainly I could turn the phone off at night to avoid this, but then I would not receive or place urgent calls (it is my only phone). As well, I could turn off the stay awake option, but for reasons noted I don't want to do so. The solution here, in my view, is a change in the programming of the software to stop this from happening.
    Go to settings and then search "charging" using the search box at the top.

It should pull up an item under the Developer options "stay awake. Screen will never go to sleep when charging" in check this box.
    For some reason it's defaulted and buried under the Developer options. Obviously an oversight when they rolled this out.

Here is the real solution. Use the charger that came with the S5. It need the 2 amp charger. If the amps are not enough the phone will beep and the light stays on.
    Jafar

I'm not seeing developer options when searching for charging.

My phone starts scrolling through the gallery once 100% charge is reached. I don't want my screen to be used up prematurely. I simply unplug it and turn it off when I awake in the middle of the night, but this should not be happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Vickery View Post
    I'm not seeing developer options when searching for charging.

My phone starts scrolling through the gallery once 100% charge is reached. I don't want my screen to be used up prematurely. I simply unplug it and turn it off when I awake in the middle of the night, but this should not be happening.
    It's normal for it to light up for a few seconds once it hits full charge but then it should go back idle.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast