Went back to my iPhone 5s.....

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
So after using the Galaxy S5 for 5 days I decided it was time to go back to my iPhone 5s because I missed the a few key features, the biggest one was iMessage.

I popped my sim card out of my GS5, out of the sim adapter tray and back into my trusty iPhone again. I left for work and powered it on. I went to Dunkin Donuts for coffee and got a few texts and emails. I realized I missed the absolutely stunning display on the GS5 and drove back home and switched back.

So I switched back to the iPhone 5s... for literally 20 minutes and now I am back on my GS5. Is it the perfect phone? Nope, far from it, but that screen has me hooked for the time being. I do miss my iPhone for certain things (mainly iMessage, the integration with my Mac and iPad that I use for work, and the incredibly quick charging anywhere), but man I am loving this phone so far.

Battery life could be better. Off the charger for 9 hours today, 3 hours of screen time, with a quick charge on lunch and I was still at 18% when I got off work. But hey I can always have a backup battery if I need it!

isitme

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I went back to the 5s from my note 3 a week before the M8 (2 weeks before my S5) so I could get used to a small screen again. After that they both seemed like the perfect size. Im digging both phones ....Technology is good.

psychspirit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I almost did a double take when I read the first few lines. I ditched my iPhone and will never go back. Life is so much more vibrant with Android.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I almost did a double take when I read the first few lines. I ditched my iPhone and will never go back. Life is so much more vibrant with Android.

I personally will always use both OS. Both serve their purpose well. I have had the Moto X (best ergonomics ever IMO), the m8 (best build quality and speakers), and the gs5 (best camera and screen). All alongside my iPhone 5s since December. I am totally digging the gs5 as a whole. I hate TouchWiz and use Nova, and as soon as the vzw version gets a root I will be all set :)... well until the new Moto X comes out!

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I left the iPhone and have not looked back.
Apple really needs to step up its game with the iPhone 6. Bigger screen is not gonna win people back.
iOS is stale and boring and needs a revamp, pastel color change was not the answer.

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
So after using the Galaxy S5 for 5 days I decided it was time to go back to my iPhone 5s because I missed the a few key features, the biggest one was iMessage.

I popped my sim card out of my GS5, out of the sim adapter tray and back into my trusty iPhone again. I left for work and powered it on. I went to Dunkin Donuts for coffee and got a few texts and emails. I realized I missed the absolutely stunning display on the GS5 and drove back home and switched back.

So I switched back to the iPhone 5s... for literally 20 minutes and now I am back on my GS5. Is it the perfect phone? Nope, far from it, but that screen has me hooked for the time being. I do miss my iPhone for certain things (mainly iMessage, the integration with my Mac and iPad that I use for work, and the incredibly quick charging anywhere), but man I am loving this phone so far.

Battery life could be better. Off the charger for 9 hours today, 3 hours of screen time, with a quick charge on lunch and I was still at 18% when I got off work. But hey I can always have a backup battery if I need it!

The battery life you describe is not good, the S5 should last much longer than that. Did you turn off the GPS? For some reason that kills battery way faster on Android than iOS.

Posted via Android Central App

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I went back to an iphone 5S recently but sticking with my Galaxy S5. Iphone screen and email notifications was what killed it or me. Never worked properly.Wasn't very stable either.Similar to older iphones i had too i guess.I do love the look and build of the 5S though. Had the galaxy S3 4 and now 5 and will stick with the S5.

SERBDVB

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Same here came 2 years ago from iPhone 4 to s3, s4 now s5 and will never go to any iPhone phone...
Love my android

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The battery life you describe is not good, the S5 should last much longer than that. Did you turn off the GPS? For some reason that kills battery way faster on Android than iOS.

I actually had Power Saving mode on from 7am-2pm. Then I turned it off. GPS and BT off all day and I was on wifi for the majority of the day also. Not sure why but my battery has never been that good on this phone.

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site

Taste is subjective. I gave my wife my iPhone 5 and I am using a Moto X. It is a nice phone and I am enjoying Android quite a lot,and thinking of sticking with it. But the Iphone has it?s merits. It really depends on what your personal preference is, and your particular workflow. Having moved over to Android, and previously played with WP and BB to a lesser extent, I can safely say that these days any of them can get the job done well enough.

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I would definitely look into the battery more - there is probably a process that is using way more than it is supposed to. I unplug at 6 am and plug back in at 11 pm with moderate use in between (up to 3 hours screen on time, camera, games, web, OS update yesterday) and I only had an issue with battery when GPS was on. You will enjoy the phone much more and look at your iPhone less longingly if you get the battery life you are supposed to get!

I actually had Power Saving mode on from 7am-2pm. Then I turned it off. GPS and BT off all day and I was on wifi for the majority of the day also. Not sure why but my battery has never been that good on this phone.

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Not an ideal situation, but you *could* leave your Mac home and powered on with JumpDesktop on it, and use that on your S5 to remotely do iMessage... Not the greatest way, but still better than giving your AppleID to another app. That, or keep pestering Tim Cook about why he didn't follow Steve Job's wishes to make FaceTime/iMessage open standards.

dd4

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

That's the trouble with people once they start using an iDevice. Because Apple are so hell bent on wanting you to use certain software and then limiting that to just iDevices once you get used to it people think there is no alternative. I would not go near an iPhone but if I did I would use Skype for video calling. That way I can use the same application on my desktop, my tablet whether that be a Android, Microsoft or Apple OS and pretty much any other device out there will run Skype.

As for the battery life you described that does not seem right. I struggle to get signal at work but it does drop in and out of signal slightly all day which should run my battery down faster than having signal. I can leave the house in the morning with 100% battery. Walk to work listing to music and leave work on 88% battery having not charged it for a 10 hour day.

Last edited:

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

Are you in a strong signal area? - I find that weak to "so-so" is almost always the culprit for fast battery drain.

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Oh ya. I found out what was causing the issue. I had dynamic notifications installed and that was keeping my phone awake the entire time it was unplugged.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

surf1

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Just as an example here's what I got other day not long after taking delivery of it, even in heavy use I still don't have to charge till the next day and it's been getting better as the phone/cycling break in. 33% battery life left ---> off charger for almost 15 hours, on screen time of 4 hours browsing with multiple tabs etc, email and text, and about 30 min of phone calls, and streamed music at the gym for an hour, sync all on, gps on etc. And other day I was very heavy on the phone with calls and email and text, and even in similar situation I still had enough left to get through mid day the following day.... beyond impressive for battery life. My iPhone 5 and 5S can't even come remotely close to that in the same situation, my wife is always having to charge her 5S.

The one thing I change on Android phones, is to set wifi to only stay on in sleep if plugged in.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

There is NO WY I will go back to the iPhone after 5 yrs with one.

Like the S5 way too much.
Already downloaded some of the iPhone ringers into the S5 too.

The more I work with it and play, the more I am learning it will do.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Where is that setting? I would like to make sure mine are not on as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh ya. I found out what was causing the issue. I had dynamic notifications installed and that was keeping my phone awake the entire time it was unplugged.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

where is this setting?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12