Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Quick Connect - battery drain

So, the other day my battery drained from 70% to 39% in 2 hours. Looking at SBat android apps used 79%, further more inside the apps was quick connect using 59%. I restarted and was fine yesterday but, I got a repeat today with Quick Connect. NFC has been off, s-beam, bluetooth....any ideas? I need more than 5 hours battery life....

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts

Default Re: Quick Connect - battery drain

No ideas, but the exact same thing happened to me yesterday. I found it and hit force stop, but could not find a way to disable or remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Tucson View Post
    So, the other day my battery drained from 70% to 39% in 2 hours. Looking at SBat android apps used 79%, further more inside the apps was quick connect using 59%. I restarted and was fine yesterday but, I got a repeat today with Quick Connect. NFC has been off, s-beam, bluetooth....any ideas? I need more than 5 hours battery life....
    You don't mention if your Quick connect per se is turned off, and it clearly appears is not.

In my T-mobile s5, I have the S finder and Quick Connect as an eternal notification, so if you have the same, just enter to quick connect option and be sure to turn it off, on the Settings inside of it, it Says something like Always ready to connect, enter there and turn everything off, that should take care of your issues.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

No, that was the first place I went and it was and is still off. However, the process is still running. I can go in and force stop the process but, it will be in the running list again in 5 minutes.

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts

It was the same for me. I never turned it on and it kept running.

Same here. It happens randomly. One day, I'll be at 70% battery at the end of the day. The next, half way through the day I noticed that my phone was hot in my pocket, it was at 15%, and Quick Connect was the culprit. My auto connect is turned off as well. I'm about to do a reset and see if it helps.

On my Droid Razr HD there was the same problem with NFC, the only resolution was to root and remove the NFC apk completely from the system (uninstall and manually delete the file)... might be something to look into until a software update comes out... personally I'm holding out for a root that doesn't break knox...

Update on mine - I did a factory reset, and it resolved the problem. 100% improvement, and quick connect doesn't show anywhere near the top on my battery usage now. It took me 2 hours to set up everything on my phone again, but it was well worth it to fix the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Piette View Post
    Update on mine - I did a factory reset, and it resolved the problem. 100% improvement, and quick connect doesn't show anywhere near the top on my battery usage now. It took me 2 hours to set up everything on my phone again, but it was well worth it to fix the issue.
    Just out of curiosity, how would it take you 2 hours to set up your phone after a factory reset? After I did a factory reset it took me less than 5 minutes.

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts

I have not done anything, but it has not happened with mine since the first two times. It has been several days. I am not sure what triggered it and I will have to watch. Something caused it and I wasn't using the phone when it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jackson View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how would it take you 2 hours to set up your phone after a factory reset? After I did a factory reset it took me less than 5 minutes.
    I'm sure he means installing only the apps he uses, setting up all of his user settings the way he wanted, ring tones, notifications, etc...

-via Android Central App on GWaLL's S5

Quote Originally Posted by GWaLL13 View Post
    I'm sure he means installing only the apps he uses, setting up all of his user settings the way he wanted, ring tones, notifications, etc...

-via Android Central App on GWaLL's S5
    That's done automatically. When I got my new S5, all my apps, photos, contacts and wifi settings were there. I did NOTHING other than change the wallpaper. Ihave no idea what he is talking about.

Twice this week I've noticed Quick Connect gobbling up obscene amounts of battery. I guess I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

The apps come down, but if you have any customized folders, different email apps, etc... It will take time to customize, though I think I may just have to do the same. Until I decide to just root the thing and do it my way

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jackson View Post
    That's done automatically. When I got my new S5, all my apps, photos, contacts and wifi settings were there. I did NOTHING other than change the wallpaper. Ihave no idea what he is talking about.
    You don't know what he's talking about because you don't know a lot about Android.

The automatic setup is extremely limited, no app data, no SMS, no call logs, no deeper settings changes, no home screens etc. etc.

The person you're talking about probably did what I did, which is restored almost everything off his original phone to the S5 which takes a long time to do. It took me a few hours to transfer everything from my S3 to my S5 including text messages, call logs, app data, re-creating homescreens, updating apps that aren't 4.4 compatible etc. etc.

It takes a long time to fully migrate a phone.

My first full day with this phone resulted in quick connect eating up about half my battery. I was also originally holding out for a knox-capable root but it looks like it will either never happen or won't happen for a very long time.

Using root, I went into Titanium Backup and froze Quick Connect.

I also had a similar problem the next day with My Magazine, I disabled it on the homescreen on the first day but for some reason it started eating up all my battery life so I froze that too.

Now it seems OK.

Don't wait for a knox-capable root, it might never happen. There are un-rootable Android distributions, Motorola has been able to lock it down so hard they can't be rooted.

Samsung leaves the bootloader option available for people so that they can root if they really want to and have to trip the knox flag.
    myminpins likes this.

Is there a good program for an unrooted phone to see what's eating up your battery? The standard one just displays "Android OS" which isn't very helpful.

Still seeing this issue every few days. The battery drain is massive. My phone physically heats up from it. I contacted Samsung Support and they had me clear the cache partition. Admittedly I hadn't tried this before, so we'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayren View Post
    Still seeing this issue every few days. The battery drain is massive. My phone physically heats up from it. I contacted Samsung Support and they had me clear the cache partition. Admittedly I hadn't tried this before, so we'll see how it goes.
    Exactly what steps did they tell you to take to clear the cache partition?

Power device off. Hold Home and Volume Up. Press Power until device turns on. Release Home and Volume Up once Recovery Menu appears. Select Wipe Cache Partition using Volume Down and tap Power. Once that completes tap Power to select Reboot Now.
    PainFX, 1Coopgt and DCRicky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherenkov View Post
    Is there a good program for an unrooted phone to see what's eating up your battery? The standard one just displays "Android OS" which isn't very helpful.
    Yes, use Systempanel in the app store.

Then go into the app and turn on monitoring, it will then monitor each process running including those that are a part of Android OS.

Betterbatterystats also has more detailed information.

I am currently having the same issue as you are, my Android OS/Android System are destroying my battery life and I'm not sure why. It might be because I imported some kind of problem from my S3 or it might be something new, so I am currently running Systempanel to try and figure it out. Sometimes just random apps or events or bugs trigger problems. Try using Systempanel to diagnose problems, also use Wakelock Detector from the Play Store to detect wakelocks which can cause problems.
    GWaLL13 and Hufza like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayren View Post
    Power device off. Hold Home and Volume Up. Press Power until device turns on. Release Home and Volume Up once Recovery Menu appears. Select Wipe Cache Partition using Volume Down and tap Power. Once that completes tap Power to select Reboot Now.
    Had the same issue. Went from above 40 to 15% in less than an hour while not using the phone. Nightmare situation to lose phone at work. Tried the steps above to see if that fixes the issue. I also turned off 'always ready to connect'

Quote Originally Posted by DCRicky View Post
    Had the same issue. Went from above 40 to 15% in less than an hour while not using the phone. Nightmare situation to lose phone at work. Tried the steps above to see if that fixes the issue. I also turned off 'always ready to connect'
    Any luck with this? My phone just started doing this today after 2 weeks of awesome battery power. Hoping that this is just a temporary glitch

I followed the above instructions, fully charged my phone, and left it overnight. When I checked it this morning, there was no sign of quick connect. Battery life is good.

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

What is "Quick Connect" and how does it work?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast