Finger Print Scanner: On or Off?

Is the Finger Print Scanner...

• Total voters

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Love or hate Apple*, it's just works. Back when I had the 5S, it literally took 20 seconds to set up Touch ID.

*THIS IS NOT AN APPLE VS SAMSUNG war thread. :)

Even before I picked it up last Tuesday, after seeing the review I wasn't expecting too much from it. After setting it up, customizing Nova Prime, I spent over an hour setting up the Finger Print Scanner trying different methods and thinking afterwards it would be easier.

Unlocking is a PITA, especially one handed. After 4 hours I disabled it. Getting the scanner to work required a minimum of 3-4 swipes but realistically I had to enter my password.

I love the Touch ID, honestly I would've kept my 64GB 5S if apps like Safari supported it. I'm not a fan of password, I find it annoying and time consuming. Unless Samsung releases an update that will fix this before Sony releases the XPERIA Z2, I would keep it.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine works great. Actually works way better than I expected. The only time I had to enter the password in the last five days was when I got the sensor wet and didn't dry it off well enough before trying too many times.

briancook451

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I find my sensor works some of the time. It is a little picky about how I swipe but for the most part it works fairly well. I enjoy it and it is a good feature on the phone. It isn't as smooth as the one on my Iphone 5s but it still works well

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
So much easier than a pin, especially in my car, I just swipe my finger down and unlock it
My only downside is that I wish I could register more fingers

phatboy29m

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I've gotten the two-handed swipe up to about 100% accuracy. For one-handed action with my thumb, its still about 50/50. I find that if I press harder with my thumb when I swipe down it works better. I know when I've gotten it because I'll press the home button while swiping my thumb down.

here4kids

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm using mine, with the timing set at 15 min. with the s3 I had the lock screen turned off. it works on the first try 75% of the time (and that's getting better as I use it). it's tough to use when driving... tried that once and decided that is an issue if I need to make a call and it is locked. apple's does appear easier via the video but I assume a patent kept Samsung from doing it that way?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Maybe some people don't understand how it is supposed to work. I set it up and use it every day. It works great and I love it.

here4kids

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
a tip I read was to scan the same finger in two of the slots. I might try that with my thumb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Turned it off after about 4 days. Just is not good enough to be my daily protection for device access. I hope Samsung is able to tweak it a bit and improve it but for now, I pretend it is not there. I use to only to access my protected photos and such.

Seeker4

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I use the fingerprint scanner all the time. Normally I hold with one hand and swipe with the other. Using my thumb for a vertical swipe is about 90% successful. Index finger is more like 60%. I tried the one-handed, sideways thumb scan but am not very successful, probably because I find doing that clumsy and have not developed a uniform way to hold and scan.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Apple bought out the company that invented Touch ID, which is why it's exclusive to iPhones. Samsung's fingerprint scanner is made by Synaptics.

This is how I set up my one handed thumbprint scan:

1) Hold the phone with the pinky supporting the bottom of the screen.
2) Rest your thumb over the home button at a natural angle, with the upper inside corner of the home button touching in the middle of your thumb.
3) Flick your thumb downwards.
4) When setting it up, make sure to slightly vary your angle and speed each time. If you use a consistent speed and angle, it will only register that specific speed and angle. You are given ten examples per finger -- take advantage of it.
5) To increase my chances further, I mapped the same thumb on two profiles. The third one is for the same thumb when I'm holding it in my other hand.

The results are very accurate, 90% of the time on the first swipe, 99% by the second, and 100% by the third. The one time I had to type in my password in the past 5 days was because my thumb was wet and I didn't dry off the sensor well enough.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Know what's even more accurate? Pattern unlock. For someone who reaches for his phone all the time (super heavy user), the accuracy on the reader tanks. I can see that for those that are casual users that are less "on the go", he/she would get better results.

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I have zero problems getting it unlocked. Zero. Every 50 tries or so I have to retry but that's it. I do wish it would store a couple more prints as the one thing I cannot do is unlock with my left thumb (I have two right thumbs and both my index fingers stored).

Apple's is better, I agree, but I love the S5 fingerprint scanner. BTW, and this is one anecdote not meant to be representative. I unlock my girlfriend's iPhone about 30% of the time with my fingerprint, which is not stored.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund