Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Is the Finger Print Scanner...

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • ON

40 53.33%
  • OFF

35 46.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Finger Print Scanner: On or Off?

Love or hate Apple*, it's just works. Back when I had the 5S, it literally took 20 seconds to set up Touch ID.

*THIS IS NOT AN APPLE VS SAMSUNG war thread.

Even before I picked it up last Tuesday, after seeing the review I wasn't expecting too much from it. After setting it up, customizing Nova Prime, I spent over an hour setting up the Finger Print Scanner trying different methods and thinking afterwards it would be easier.

Unlocking is a PITA, especially one handed. After 4 hours I disabled it. Getting the scanner to work required a minimum of 3-4 swipes but realistically I had to enter my password.

I love the Touch ID, honestly I would've kept my 64GB 5S if apps like Safari supported it. I'm not a fan of password, I find it annoying and time consuming. Unless Samsung releases an update that will fix this before Sony releases the XPERIA Z2, I would keep it.

Default Re: Finger Print Scanner: On or Off?

I have no problems with my finger print scanner. I've been trying it out just for the heck of it. It seems to work fine.

Mine works great. Actually works way better than I expected. The only time I had to enter the password in the last five days was when I got the sensor wet and didn't dry it off well enough before trying too many times.

I find my sensor works some of the time. It is a little picky about how I swipe but for the most part it works fairly well. I enjoy it and it is a good feature on the phone. It isn't as smooth as the one on my Iphone 5s but it still works well

Global Posts
    663 Global Posts

I use it

Posted via Android Central App

So much easier than a pin, especially in my car, I just swipe my finger down and unlock it
    My only downside is that I wish I could register more fingers
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -

I've gotten the two-handed swipe up to about 100% accuracy. For one-handed action with my thumb, its still about 50/50. I find that if I press harder with my thumb when I swipe down it works better. I know when I've gotten it because I'll press the home button while swiping my thumb down.

I'm using mine, with the timing set at 15 min. with the s3 I had the lock screen turned off. it works on the first try 75% of the time (and that's getting better as I use it). it's tough to use when driving... tried that once and decided that is an issue if I need to make a call and it is locked. apple's does appear easier via the video but I assume a patent kept Samsung from doing it that way?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Maybe some people don't understand how it is supposed to work. I set it up and use it every day. It works great and I love it.
    20blks likes this.

I don't have an issue with it but I did disbable it, will never realistically use it.

anyone getting good, continuous, results with the thumb?

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

Quote Originally Posted by here4kids View Post

One handed thumb, I'm up to about 95% accuracy on 1st attempt. Love it!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by here4kids View Post

About 95% accuracy with me as well...wish I could make a video and show how I do it
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

I use it and love it. Works 90% of the time. Scanned my thumb and my index finger. No complaints here.

a tip I read was to scan the same finger in two of the slots. I might try that with my thumb.

Turned it off after about 4 days. Just is not good enough to be my daily protection for device access. I hope Samsung is able to tweak it a bit and improve it but for now, I pretend it is not there. I use to only to access my protected photos and such.

I use the fingerprint scanner all the time. Normally I hold with one hand and swipe with the other. Using my thumb for a vertical swipe is about 90% successful. Index finger is more like 60%. I tried the one-handed, sideways thumb scan but am not very successful, probably because I find doing that clumsy and have not developed a uniform way to hold and scan.

Apple bought out the company that invented Touch ID, which is why it's exclusive to iPhones. Samsung's fingerprint scanner is made by Synaptics.

This is how I set up my one handed thumbprint scan:

1) Hold the phone with the pinky supporting the bottom of the screen.
    2) Rest your thumb over the home button at a natural angle, with the upper inside corner of the home button touching in the middle of your thumb.
    3) Flick your thumb downwards.
    4) When setting it up, make sure to slightly vary your angle and speed each time. If you use a consistent speed and angle, it will only register that specific speed and angle. You are given ten examples per finger -- take advantage of it.
    5) To increase my chances further, I mapped the same thumb on two profiles. The third one is for the same thumb when I'm holding it in my other hand.

The results are very accurate, 90% of the time on the first swipe, 99% by the second, and 100% by the third. The one time I had to type in my password in the past 5 days was because my thumb was wet and I didn't dry off the sensor well enough.

Know what's even more accurate? Pattern unlock. For someone who reaches for his phone all the time (super heavy user), the accuracy on the reader tanks. I can see that for those that are casual users that are less "on the go", he/she would get better results.

I have zero problems getting it unlocked. Zero. Every 50 tries or so I have to retry but that's it. I do wish it would store a couple more prints as the one thing I cannot do is unlock with my left thumb (I have two right thumbs and both my index fingers stored).

Apple's is better, I agree, but I love the S5 fingerprint scanner. BTW, and this is one anecdote not meant to be representative. I unlock my girlfriend's iPhone about 30% of the time with my fingerprint, which is not stored.

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    I have zero problems getting it unlocked. Zero. Every 50 tries or so I have to retry but that's it.
    I don't believe that for a minute. But who cares. I am some guy on the internet. Carry on.

I use it all the time with really good success (I'd say over 95% on the first try).

Some tips I've picked up across the various forums:

1) Press relatively hard when scanning.
    2) You can scan multiple fingers in each profile. I scanned my Right Thumb, Left Thumb, and Left Index finger on the first profile. I repeated the same for the 2nd profile, but with slightly different angles. My 3rd profile is still empty.

I'm pretty happy with how it works. Not as elegant as the scanner on my daughters iPhone, but it does the job, and is much better than the facial recognition available on earlier models which was really slow.
    Thanked by 2:
    mcm180 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by f308gt4 View Post

2) You can scan multiple fingers in each profile. I scanned my Right Thumb, Left Thumb, and Left Index finger on the first profile. I repeated the same for the 2nd profile, but with slightly different angles. My 3rd profile is still empty.

I'm pretty happy with how it works. Not as elegant as the scanner on my daughters iPhone, but it does the job, and is much better than the facial recognition available on earlier models which was really slow.
    Thanks for the tip about multiple fingers on one profile -- I assumed each print in the profile had to match against the other. I'm going to redo them now.

And as a former Face Unlock user, fingerprint scan is a 1000 times better -- much faster and much, much, much more reliable. I shortened my lockscreen timeout from 30 minutes to 10 minutes because it's so much easier to unlock the phone now.

Unfortunately my work email does not allow me to use the fingerprint scanner to unlock, but I played with it one night and I also did not have a single failure when testing. When I set the profile I intentionally did it at slightly different angles, pressures and speeds for each repeat, and apparently that worked well. I was not able to do it for one handed unlocking, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Xm_jdm View Post
    I don't believe that for a minute. But who cares. I am some guy on the internet. Carry on.

I use it with good accuracy. I have both thumbs and my primary hands index finger registered. Majority of the time I get my phone unlocked with 2 attempts.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast