Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5: Is any replacement battery better than the original?

I see on ebay plenty of replacement batteries with a higher mAh rating than the original one, but I guess not all of them are really better than Samsung's.
    Do you have any suggestions on a really good replacement that provide at least 25% more battery life?

Thanks!
    dd4

Default Re: Is any replacement battery better than the original?

Quote Originally Posted by K83476552 View Post
    I see on ebay plenty of replacement batteries with a higher mAh rating than the original one, but I guess not all of them are really better than Samsung's.
    Do you have any suggestions on a really good replacement that provide at least 25% more battery life?

Thanks!
    Im positive that if there was a high capacity battery available then Samsung would have put it into the S5. Assuming the batteries on Ebay are correct and they are a high mAh than the genuine Samsung battery then they will likely not be as safe or will be physically bigger or something. There is no reason for Samsung to have used a lower mAh battery than is currently available .
    Personally I use my phone quite a lot and still never run the battery down to flat. Given how expensive the phone is it might be worth just buying a genuine replacement battery from Samsung. They are not cheap but at least you know you are putting a approved battery in instead of something that is going to fry the phone.

Hope I am allowed to post links on here ( Someone tell me if I am not )

Why not get one of these and buy a spare battery http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Sync-Battery-Dock-Dual-Charger-Stand-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S5-SV-G900F-i9600-C3-/141265615256?_trksid=p2054897.l5661

You can carry a spare battery about and then charge both the phone and the extra battery in one go when you get home.

Global Posts
    5,938 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Just be careful with the non-oem type batteries on eBay. Just because is lists a higher capacity battery than oem, it doesn't mean it is. Lots of threads (not so much with the S5, but give it time) with the S3 and S4 where people have purchased generic type batteries. Made the device hot and they didn't last as long as the oem battery. My advice is to get a genuine replacement battery when they are available.

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    Just be careful with the non-oem type batteries on eBay. Just because is lists a higher capacity battery than oem, it doesn't mean it is. Lots of threads (not so much with the S5, but give it time) with the S3 and S4 where people have purchased generic type batteries. Made the device hot and they didn't last as long as the oem battery. My advice is to get a genuine replacement battery when they are available.
    A third-party battery can also be unsafe and explode. Admittedly it is extremely rare, but if it happens and you are using a third party battery then Samsung would point the finger at the third party battery

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Global Posts
    5,938 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    A third-party battery can also be unsafe and explode. Admittedly it is extremely rare, but if it happens and you are using a third party battery then Samsung would point the finger at the third party battery

Yep, you are correct.

On a side note, I used a Hyperion battery with my S4 and I have to say they were pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    I've learned my lesson throughout the years. Most batteries (even supposedly OEM) online are fake (not original) and low quality. The only ones that are original are direct (NOT 3rd party seller) from Amazon or the manufacturers themselves. This is only if you're looking for OEM batteries.
    dpham00 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    I've learned my lesson throughout the years. Most batteries (even supposedly OEM) online are fake (not original) and low quality. The only ones that are original are direct (NOT 3rd party seller) from Amazon or the manufacturers themselves. This is only if you're looking for OEM batteries.
    Very true. I usually buy batteries directly from Samsung using the 50% off coupon.

GrooveRite likes this.

Very true. I usually buy batteries directly from Samsung using the 50% off coupon.

I had no idea Samsung had coupons! Thats good to know!
    dd4

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    I had no idea Samsung had coupons! Thats good to know!
    It is very good Anyone care to share that code

Quote Originally Posted by dd4 View Post
    It is very good Anyone care to share that code
    rXu3670

Sent from my Verizon Sansung Galaxy S3
    GrooveRite likes this.

There are a few quality aftermarket brands (I swear by Anker), but the no name stuff on eBay should be avoided. They may be 10 bucks or whatever, but from personal experience, they only last for a couple of months before dying.
    GrooveRite and msndrstood like this.

Whenever you hear that someones phone blew up. I heard about 3 in the last 2 years. It was an aftermarket battery,

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

I have found, over the years, that Anker batteries are dependable and I have never had a problem with them.
    msndrstood likes this.
    dd4

rXu3670

Sent from my Verizon Sansung Galaxy S3
    Says no longer valid, Thanks anyway.

I did find this one, 10% off orders over 50 NPR-14G-QKY-WSZ

Where can I buy an additional battery? It doesn't need to be better, same one is fine. Would the carrier sell the individual phone battery or best buy? I just want it as a back up

the issue with off brand batteries is the efficiency rating, purely examples... if the samsung battery is 90% efficient, then it actually puts out 90% of the rated value of mAh (leared all this researching extrenal battery packs and ended up with Anker due to this information), most off brand batteries provide 60%-80% efficiency, so would need to be at least 20% higher rated in mAh to give the same output.

Quote Originally Posted by K83476552 View Post

Thanks!
    No, but I have a Zerolemon it's pretty good still not as good as the original battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
    There are a few quality aftermarket brands (I swear by Anker), but the no name stuff on eBay should be avoided. They may be 10 bucks or whatever, but from personal experience, they only last for a couple of months before dying.
    Yup! and if they don't listen.....let them learn the hard way.

All those knockoff batteries on Ebay with higher mah etc, are bunk. I tried on my S2 and it was no different then the stock battery even though rated higher, same for others on other phones. Someone on XDA even used a knockof 4k+ mah batter in the S5 and said there was little difference. Only thing that will work will be direct from Samsung replacement that's higher, like in the American S2 people were swapping in the high capacity battery for the Korean model available from Samsung but modifying the back case to fit it. Even the brand name aftermarket ones aren't any better for life then the direct Sammy ones, good as a replacement or backup but not for longer battery life.

I only get 3rd party batteries I trust... Like Anker batteries.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    msndrstood likes this.

I would only buy OEM (made by the manufacturer such as Samsung ) as far as batteries are concerned.
    dd4

There is no doubt this is very serious and should not happen to anyone.

Samsung Galaxy S2 explodes in girl's pocket leaving her with horrific leg injuries which need skin transplant - Mirror Online

But given that the family would not return the phone to Samsung for testing it could well be that a 3rd party battery or charger was used. You always tend to find that when things like this do happen and they are properly investigated it tends to be the fault of a 3rd party piece of hardware not approved for use with the device. This is not me sticking up for Samsung either. Similar things have happened with iPhones and usually it turns out to be a cheap non approved charger and not the phone itself.

It's not worth the risk. Buy a good quality battery from a trusted seller. You know what they say about if it seems to good to be true... It probably is.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

When I registered my S5, Samsung immediately sent me an email for 50% off any purchase from them, $50 and under. If you haven't registered it and gotten that yet, you might try it.

dd4

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieVan View Post
    When I registered my S5, Samsung immediately sent me an email for 50% off any purchase from them, $50 and under. If you haven't registered it and gotten that yet, you might try it.

I have tried to register my S5 by signing into my Samsung account and then going to register your product but in the dropdown for product name I can not find the S5 by name or model number. How did you register yours?

It's a two step process. If you haven't already, register an account on the Samsung site. Then log into the Samsung app store on your phone. You will get an email with the rewards.
    CannedBullets likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast