Tylt Vu offered on Verizon to replace my Samsung Desktop dock?

atomarchio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I am considering upgrade from S3 to S5. However, I've been unable to find dock so far.

Another option is this Tylt Vu wireless product which is now offered by Verizon. The phone sits on an angle kind of like a dock and also wireless which could be a plus.

If I use a cover will it slow the down the rate of charge, if so by how long? Is there anything else I should be aware if I decide to go with the Tylt Vu instead of waiting for a wired desktop dock.

I've heard comments that this is preferred since any dock that comes out will not be similar to current Samsung dock for S3 because of the charging cover.

Please let me know. Thanks.

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
that would work, but charging would be slower, compared to the oe charger and a usb 2 or 3 cable. the oe brick charges a tic over 1% per minute, the wireless would be say 3 times longer??(guessing) you would also need a charging card or the wireless back, both not included with the phone.
could have $100 ?? tied up into this setup, but it would work.
no one knows about small cases and how they will work with the charging back as of yet, (i don't think) the back will be thicker, not sure how much.
there are also cards to install in the phone, less expensive, not sure about the water seal or anything, but they are out there.

had my s3 in a desktop dock and i loved it, fit with a case and all, had the dock screen displayed, time and weather. have not found anything so far for the s5. the charger was slow, but that's where it went every night.

hope this helps.

atomarchio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I would like my local Verizon store to stock the Tylt Vu so I could just take it back there easily if I don't like the performance. Seems quite expensive though.

Wish Samsung would just come out with a regular S5 dock already. That would make this much easier.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It would charge probably about close to half as fast as the wall charger

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

atomarchio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Knowing that, I would rather have a desktop dock...Do you know anything about the Kidigi dock for S5? Would that work is it junk?

Seeker4

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
The Tylt Vu is a wireless charger; it does not connect to the phone's USB port.

I am very pleased with the Tylt Vu. I use it with my Nexus 7 tablet. It does a great job of recharging the tablet, even though it is in a thick case. I haven't measured recharging time using the Tylt Vu vs using a USB charger, but it's so easy to use that I charge the tablet more often. All I do is set the tablet on the charger when I'm not otherwise using it, and the tablet is then mostly at full charge whenever I need it.

I am anxiously waiting for Samsung to release the charging back for the S5. I'll just set the phone on the Tylt Vu over night, or when I am at the desk and using the computer, and I'm sure I'll always have plenty of charge in the phone.

The USB port of the S5 is quite stiff, making attaching the USB cable harder. If I can reduce my use of the USB cable drastically by using a wireless charger, I think the chance that the port will be damaged by continued attaching of the cord will become insignificant.

atomarchio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Do I need anything besides the Tylt Vu charger itself in order to wirlelessly charge the S5? I thought read somewhere else a "charging back" is needed. I will be using a slim 2 piece holster/case

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You would need a charging back and it will be thicker than the stock back.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

atomarchio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Does the "charging back" come with the Tylt Vu or is that purchased separately? Will this "charging back" limit my case options due to thickness?

atomarchio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I just talked to sales guy local Verizon store. He was all ready to ship me the Tylt Vu with S5 saying the solution is ready to go. Guess he gave me wrong information if the charging back accessory is not available yet?