What do you think of this case? (Otterbox Symmetry)

alil25

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Looking for something sleek, not too bulky with some grip and that comes up enough in the back to protect the camera lens (a lot of the slim ones seem almost flush with the lens). I've never had an Otterbox and I can't seem to find reviews for this one in the S5 yet. What is your take?

Stylish & Slim Galaxy S5 Case | Symmetry Series from OtterBox

EDIT: I received my Otterbox Symmetry about an hour ago. It fits nicely and the buttons are easy to push. There's a good space at the bottom so there will be no problem connecting the charger. The camera and pulse reader seem to be nicely protected. So far it feels pretty good! At first it feels slippery but as you use it, it starts to feel more grippy. I really don't want a slippery case.
I'm still considering this because of its rubberized grip ... Transformer Slim Hard Shell Case Holster Combo with Kickstand and Locking Belt Swivel Clip for Samsung Galaxy S5 by i-Blason

Last edited:

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Looking for something sleek, not too bulky with some grip and that comes up enough in the back to protect the camera lens (a lot of the slim ones seem almost flush with the lens). I've never had an Otterbox and I can't seem to find reviews for this one in the S5 yet. What is your take?

I work at Best Buy, and have tried the iPhone 5s and Galaxy S4 models of the Symmetry on some of our live models.
Definitely prefer the Symmetry over the Otterbox Commuter available for those phones. Better, easier fit and less bulk.

Haven't gotten any S5 Symmetry cases in, but I'm assuming they'd at least be superior to the Commuter.

alil25

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I work at Best Buy, and have tried the iPhone 5s and Galaxy S4 models of the Symmetry on some of our live models.
Definitely prefer the Symmetry over the Otterbox Commuter available for those phones. Better, easier fit and less bulk.

Haven't gotten any S5 Symmetry cases in, but I'm assuming they'd at least be superior to the Commuter.

Thank you! I wonder if my local BB has them in-store...

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

When I purchased my S4 32 a few months back I purchased the Otterbox Commuter as it was the one easiest to purchase with the S4. I like the case pretty much except for the fact that it has a slick finish. The S3 I owned I bought an Incipio case and like it somewhat better because it had the non slip finish. Looking at the Otterbox Symmetry Series in the black it appears to me it may have a non slip finish (maybe someone who has seen one in person) can confirm this for me here. I seldom go into Best Buy and seldom if every go into a company phone store. I don't like the way any of those store personnel treat old people.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
They Symetry case is pretty nice looking and I would need to see it in person before getting one. Nice pattern/color options and looks less bulky compared to the Commuter series. One thing that bothers me about the YouTube videos is if you are going to show off a case for a specific phone use that phone. I am sick and tired of seeing iphones as the comparison when its not the phone I am considering the case for. I want to see how the case looks and is designed for the phone I am looking to buy it for. Spigen does this as well and its down right annoying.

I always hear a commercial on the radio and they mention that you can d/l an app associated with what they are selling. They always say iTunes Store and Google Play store. Last time I check G came before I in the alphabet. If they said Apple Store and Google Store that would be reasonable. Just a pet peeve.

alil25

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
They Symetry case is pretty nice looking and I would need to see it in person before getting one. Nice pattern/color options and looks less bulky compared to the Commuter series. One thing that bothers me about the YouTube videos is if you are going to show off a case for a specific phone use that phone. I am sick and tired of seeing iphones as the comparison when its not the phone I am considering the case for. I want to see how the case looks and is designed for the phone I am looking to buy it for. Spigen does this as well and its down right annoying.

I always hear a commercial on the radio and they mention that you can d/l an app associated with what they are selling. They always say iTunes Store and Google Play store. Last time I check G came before I in the alphabet. If they said Apple Store and Google Store that would be reasonable. Just a pet peeve.

I agree with you, I looked and looked for reviews on it and watched the video, it was hard to get away from iPhone reviews. I ordered it in white and gray since I have the white S5 and it should be here tomorrow. I'll update with pics when I get it!

alil25

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
waiting for this case to come out also... I do not like bulky cases.
It's on Amazon, just be careful because even if you search for the Symmetry case, the Commuter case is mixed in and they look similar. I should receive mine today.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I wish it had a belt clip holster option. I don't always use the holster, but at work I always do, when not at work I don't. It's a pain to have to switch cases back and forth. Haven't found that happy medium yet.

Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5

alil25

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I wish it had a belt clip holster option. I don't always use the holster, but at work I always do, when not at work I don't. It's a pain to have to switch cases back and forth. Haven't found that happy medium yet.

Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5

Have you seen this case? It has a holster with a clip. I was contemplating this one but went with the Symmetry because of its protection. My dad has this one with his iPhone 4s and it has a sleek, rubberized feel.

Amazon.com: i-BLASON Samsung Galaxy S5 Case - Transformer Slim Hard Shell Case Holster Combo with Kickstand and Locking Belt Swivel Clip (Fits AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile) (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

dorlisa

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
It's on Amazon, just be careful because even if you search for the Symmetry case, the Commuter case is mixed in and they look similar. I should receive mine today.

Thank you!! I had no idea they were on there! I am sooo hoping for the Dreamy Pink case in S5 because i am in love with that case. LOL I will definitely keep my eye out. Please let me know how you like yours and if what you think about the "slimness" of it.

jackrock

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

EDIT: I received my Otterbox Symmetry about an hour ago. It fits nicely and the buttons are easy to push. There's a good space at the bottom so there will be no problem connecting the charger. The camera and pulse reader seem to be nicely protected. So far it feels pretty good! At first it feels slippery but as you use it, it starts to feel more grippy. I really don't want a slippery case.
I'm still considering this because of its rubberized grip ... Transformer Slim Hard Shell Case Holster Combo with Kickstand and Locking Belt Swivel Clip for Samsung Galaxy S5 by i-Blason

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/luce1025/case1.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/luce1025/case2.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/luce1025/case4.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/luce1025/case8.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/luce1025/case3.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/luce1025/case6.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/luce1025/case7.jpg

Slipperiness seems to be the problem with plastic shelled case. That's what I was worried about with the Symmetry.

alil25

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Slipperiness seems to be the problem with plastic shelled case. That's what I was worried about with the Symmetry.

I thought it was slippery when I first put it on and was disappointed but after using it for most of the day, it doesn't feel too bad. It actually seems to grip onto your hand. It also fits into my back pocket easily. One thing I really like so far is the large cut out at the bottom for the charging port and home button ... it doesn't interfere with using the home button at all and is a breeze to plug in. Between this case and my Zagg tempered glass screen protector, I feel like my phone is nice and safe from just about anything.

alil25

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thank you!! I had no idea they were on there! I am sooo hoping for the Dreamy Pink case in S5 because i am in love with that case. LOL I will definitely keep my eye out. Please let me know how you like yours and if what you think about the "slimness" of it.

I don't see Dreamy Pink on their site but there are three that aren't out yet, maybe one is close to what you like. You can sign up on their site to get an email update when it's released. Stylish & Slim Galaxy S5 Case | Symmetry Series from OtterBox

I like mine so far.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Have you seen this case? It has a holster with a clip. I was contemplating this one but went with the Symmetry because of its protection. My dad has this one with his iPhone 4s and it has a sleek, rubberized feel.

Amazon.com: i-BLASON Samsung Galaxy S5 Case - Transformer Slim Hard Shell Case Holster Combo with Kickstand and Locking Belt Swivel Clip (Fits AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile) (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

If it has a holster then it is an instant buy for me. Thank you for pointing this out to me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie