Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Does your device have this issue when your face is at the edge of the screen?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 77.78%
  • No

2 22.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Front Facing Camera Distortion

I believe this may be an issue on all devices. It seems like the issue is prominent when taking close up photos. The issue affects the top ~15% of the screen and the bottom ~15%. The only purpose of having a front facing camera is for the ease of selfie shots.

If you can provide photos of this NOT occurring, please let me know. If I can resolve this by replacing my unit, I will. Front Facing Camera Distortion-20140424_193710.jpgFront Facing Camera Distortion-20140425_112940.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front Facing Camera Distortion-20140425_112949.jpg   Front Facing Camera Distortion-20140425_112952.jpg   Front Facing Camera Distortion-20140425_154755.jpg   Front Facing Camera Distortion-20140425_155404.jpg   Front Facing Camera Distortion-20140425_155521.jpg  

Front Facing Camera Distortion-img_20140424_202332.jpg   Front Facing Camera Distortion-img_20140424_202345.jpg  

Default Re: Front Facing Camera Distortion

What mode do you have it set on? I haven't had any problems with my front facing cam.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

No mode is being used. I spoke with a Samsung representative and they walked me through several troubleshooting steps which included in app settings reset, clearing cache and data, as well as removing my screen protector.

Mine is definitely not like that... U sure u don't have an effect on?
    Mine does distort a bit when I move the phone up so my face is at the bottom edge
    Front Facing Camera Distortion-uploadfromtaptalk1398473540254.jpgFront Facing Camera Distortion-uploadfromtaptalk1398473555620.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -

I'm having this issue with my front facing camera, too.

Posted via Android Central App
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yeah, I went and tested the 4 different display S5's at my local target, att, and sprint retail stores. They all have the same issue, but it's only at the top and bottom edges, not when centered like you are here. If you compare yours to the photos of me in the headphones, there is little to no distortion, but the other angles and such make it a little awful.

I also tested the S4, and the LG G2 displays at sprint. The S4 and the LG G2 seemed to have a similar effect (though not as exaggerated) at the top part of the screen, but neither had it at the bottom.

Mine's got the distortion too. Weird. I can't remember the last time I used a front facing camera though so not a big deal for me personally (selfies aren't exactly my thing).

jaleesag88 likes this.

They all have the same issue, but it's only at the top and bottom edges

Angry Re: Front Facing Camera Distortion

Mine distorts as well... but I don't think it's the lens because it looks right when I'm taking the picture, but it's stretched when it's saved.
    It's either an effect, a setting, or a glitch somewhere in the system that is giving it a "fish-eye" appearance. :-/
    Android4life

Mine does it and if you tip the forward or backward to get your face to the top or bottom. I did notice if you don't tip the phone at all the odd "fish eye" effect is less noticeable.
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5

Wow i just noticed mine having the same issue

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

Normal

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front Facing Camera Distortion-1398972595422.jpg  

Tilted. I think it's only the bottom of my screen though

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front Facing Camera Distortion-1398972648988.jpg  

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Finally, another person that see's what I am seeing! I posted a question up on xda forums on the 23rd of april and few had the problem, and a few did not know they had the problem because they did not know how to angle their camera properly to get this distortion. Some claimed it is because front facing camera is widescreen and it has a distorted effect on purpose.. I call bs... looks like a defect. Also when you change the front camera to 1.6 or 1 mp or even .3 MP you will not get this distortion...

What are we going to do about this? I am hoping that Samsung Will pick up on it and maybe roll out with an update.. But little know about this distortion problem.

the forum is forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2728906 if you would like to check it out.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Torakhan View Post
    Mine distorts as well... but I don't think it's the lens because it looks right when I'm taking the picture, but it's stretched when it's saved.
    It's either an effect, a setting, or a glitch somewhere in the system that is giving it a "fish-eye" appearance. :-/
    I hope they fix it with an update or something, I know not many use the front facing camera but just knowing it has a slight defect kicks in my OCD haha..

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Mine is definitely not like that... U sure u don't have an effect on?
    Mine does distort a bit when I move the phone up so my face is at the bottom edge
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1398473540254.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	114857Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1398473555620.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	114858

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
    Hello, That is because you are angling your face to be right in the center of the screen, try having your face at the bottom and at the top of the screen and report back

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Itani View Post
    Hello, That is because you are angling your face to be right in the center of the screen, try having your face at the bottom and at the top of the screen and report back
    Yeah I notice the distortion when they are on the top and bottom of the screens
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Unhappy Re: Front Facing Camera Distortion

here are my results! notice how the center picture looks normal but when moved to the top or bottom and even if you use your phone horizontally.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front Facing Camera Distortion-20140503_124937.jpg   Front Facing Camera Distortion-20140503_125010.jpg   Front Facing Camera Distortion-20140503_125054.jpg  

Any fixes on this issue? I'm having exact same issue. If you can see the attached picture, you'll notice an "arc" on the top of the screen. This arc distorts the picture (arc appears in IG also) plus can clearly been seen in picture.
    Banned

I wasn't able to replicate the problem this morning. Front Facing Camera Distortion-20140511_070041.jpgFront Facing Camera Distortion-20140511_070144.jpgFront Facing Camera Distortion-20140511_070543.jpg

Banned

Maybe my forehead in the second picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front Facing Camera Distortion-20140511_071404.jpg   Front Facing Camera Distortion-20140511_071146.jpg   Front Facing Camera Distortion-20140511_071239.jpg  

i believe this is a lens issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Itani View Post
    Finally, another person that see's what I am seeing! I posted a question up on xda forums on the 23rd of april and few had the problem, and a few did not know they had the problem because they did not know how to angle their camera properly to get this distortion. Some claimed it is because front facing camera is widescreen and it has a distorted effect on purpose.. I call bs... looks like a defect. Also when you change the front camera to 1.6 or 1 mp or even .3 MP you will not get this distortion...

What are we going to do about this? I am hoping that Samsung Will pick up on it and maybe roll out with an update.. But little know about this distortion problem.

the forum is forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2728906 if you would like to check it out.
    The S5 front camera I believe does not use a perfect rescaler. I think on the lower rez you mayyy be using a smaller area of the sensor, which would avoid some edge distortion.

I have it too on mine. It appears to be typical barrel distortion (fisheye lens) to get a wider field of view. In the middle of the screen my face look normal but does stretch and warp at the top and bottom. For me it makes zero difference since 1) I don't take "selfies", 2) I wouldn't take a vertical pic, turn the thing landscape and you won't have the problem 3) I never really Skype on my phone and if I do I have no problem centering my face or holding it landscape and 4) You can reduce the warping affect by changing the picture size to something lower than the default 2 megapixels. I tried the other modes and they stretch a lot less. I would guess it's because the front lens is wide angle and when you use a lower resolution, just like in my GoPro camera, a smaller portion (ie. middle) of the sensor is used so there's less distortion. Anyhow, if you're taking selfies turning it sideways appears to work best.

Rev.
    Galaxy S5
    Ubuntu Linux 12.04
    IT Tech
    monicakm likes this.

I noticed this immediately while messing around with the phone after I first bought it, but didn't really care because I don't take tons of selfie's and depending on the angle the picture looked normal if you moved the phone around just so....

BUT now there is another issue that just developed. Again since I don't even really use the front facing camera often I just noticed it. A portion of the frame is blacked out now as if there is something blocking the lens. It is not the screen protector. The phone is less than three months old, it has a case protector on it, and I have not dropped the phone further than my lap to the floor.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast