Lag and other problems with my Galaxy S5

xxtechhead

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone can help me out with my S5 problems. The first problem Im having is with lag if I switch a app or try to click somewhere on the screen my phone will be unresponsive then go black. The next problem im having is my keyboard is lagging. If I open up my stock browser and click on the search bar to type I have to wait 5 seconds or more until the keyboard pops up. I love the S5 but over the past 2 days my experience has become terrible as well as my battery life. I dont have many apps besides Tapatalk and social networks such as twitter and instagram. Anyone have any tips or potential fixes ? Please comment below.

(Edit: Sometimes the phone will stay on in my pocket randomly without me touching the screen. I havent changed any settings and the timeout is set to 15 seconds.)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: Lag and other problems with my S5

Have you reset your phone since this happened, sometimes its best to reset the phone and add the apps you use one at a time or in small batches to find the culprit. I had a GN3 (until today) on AT&T (until today) and Lookout was absolutely killing my battery to the tune of 50% or greater use with the GN3 sitting idle and not doing anything. Sounds to me like there is a wake lock issue and something is just chewing up battery. Reset and go one app at a time, also check to see what is sucking up battery and it will tell you the wake lock use time as well.

xxtechhead

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

Have you reset your phone since this happened, sometimes its best to reset the phone and add the apps you use one at a time or in small batches to find the culprit. I had a GN3 (until today) on AT&T (until today) and Lookout was absolutely killing my battery to the tune of 50% or greater use with the GN3 sitting idle and not doing anything. Sounds to me like there is a wake lock issue and something is just chewing up battery. Reset and go one app at a time, also check to see what is sucking up battery and it will tell you the wake lock use time as well.

I will try this when I leave work today thanks

xxtechhead

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

Did you turn off animations in developer settings?

-Sent from Tapatalk

I just did and that seemed to have helped. I also deleted the carrier apps Ill report back later with my battery life.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Alternate launchers are always a good first step, going into developer options and making a few tweaks there and turning off the developer and Samsung bloat. I plan to disable much more the next time around.

edge4628

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

I was having terrible lag while typing. Messages, emails, browsing the internet. Anything using the keyboard was so laggy. I cleared out the cache and it didn't help, so I downloaded the google keyboard and deactivated the samsung keyboard and that solved my lag problems completely. I had the same problem as you, clicking on the browser to go to a website, or typing something to search seemed to take forever. 100% better after the google keyboard. Hope this helps.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

I use Apex Launcher, disabled the manufacturer and carrier bloat and turned off animation in the developer settings. The result was a very snappy phone with even better battery life.

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

Turn off animations, change launchers, switch keyboards, etc., just to reduce the lag on a $600 phone? Wow! I am sure that it is a great phone, but that sounds crazy.

i agree, sounds like something is running or hung. huge delay and terrible battery, doesn't sound like .5 seconds of animation.

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Its just amazing to me how some people are experiencing this lag and others and I have not. Just for the sake of it I went back to stock settings for a few days just to see if I could experience what others have. The only thing I kept from my main setup was Swiftkey and I still did not get this "lag" some are complaining about. When compared to my friends HTC M8 it is slower yes, but only slightly and on par with my N5. The only noticeable pauses were from the My magazine feature. This is really weird. I can only come to the conclusion that its and app and or malware or something along those lines that is causing this.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

What i don't get is why did Samsung put 3GB of ram into the Note 3 then decide to put 2GB in the s5? I bought my Note 3 last month and looking at specs i rather have 3GB of Ram and the snapdragon 800 cpu then the s5 with 2GB of Ram and the snapdragon 801 cpu ( really minor upgrade with the same GPU the Andreno 330). putting in 3GB of ram would of made the s5 snappy and i probably would of waited since i liked the 16 megapixel camera

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

What i don't get is why did Samsung put 3GB of ram into the Note 3 then decide to put 2GB in the s5? I bought my Note 3 last month and looking at specs i rather have 3GB of Ram and the snapdragon 800 cpu then the s5 with 2GB of Ram and the snapdragon 801 cpu ( really minor upgrade with the same GPU the Andreno 330). putting in 3GB of ram would of made the s5 snappy and i probably would of waited since i liked the 16 megapixel camera

I'd like 3gb of ram too, but the note 3 has it because the stylus apps are always running in the background taking up 1gb of ram

If you notice, the note versions of their tablets also have 3gb of ram while the non-note ones only have 2 gb

-Sent from Tapatalk

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

Its just amazing to me how some people are experiencing this lag and others and I have not. Just for the sake of it I went back to stock settings for a few days just to see if I could experience what others have. The only thing I kept from my main setup was Swiftkey and I still did not get this "lag" some are complaining about. When compared to my friends HTC M8 it is slower yes, but only slightly and on par with my N5. The only noticeable pauses were from the My magazine feature. This is really weird. I can only come to the conclusion that its and app and or malware or something along those lines that is causing this.

I think some people have more of a tolerance for lag or stutter and it doesn't bother them. Or they have used nothing but Android phones and they are used to it.

Someone coming from an iPhone or windows phone will notice the stutter right away.

Posted via Android Central App

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

I think some people have more of a tolerance for lag or stutter and it doesn't bother them. Or they have used nothing but Android phones and they are used to it.

Someone coming from an iPhone or windows phone will notice the stutter right away.

Hmmm.. You could be very right about that. As much as I love the customization and options available to me with Android I must admit it is slower than both those platforms. It has come a very long way but still slower.

Dizfunctions

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Some of the might be able to be fixed via developer options. I heard you can change the animation times or turn them off completely..

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

xxtechhead

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

This might describe why I notice the lag so much. I just switched from a iPhone 5s, The funny thing is when I had my note 3 it never lagged. I think the S5 does need more ram.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

This might describe why I notice the lag so much. I just switched from a iPhone 5s, The funny thing is when I had my note 3 it never lagged. I think the S5 does need more ram.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Yep, I'm very disappointed it didn't include 3gb ram

-Sent from Tapatalk

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I'd like 3gb of ram too, but the note 3 has it because the stylus apps are always running in the background taking up 1gb of ram

If you notice, the note versions of their tablets also have 3gb of ram while the non-note ones only have 2 gb

-Sent from Tapatalk

Actually the note 1 had 1gb of ram and the 2 had 2 gb.... Putting in 3gb of ram in the s5 would solve any lag issues coupled with the snapdragon 801

Sent from my SM-N900T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463