Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Lag and other problems with my Galaxy S5

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with my S5 problems. The first problem Im having is with lag if I switch a app or try to click somewhere on the screen my phone will be unresponsive then go black. The next problem im having is my keyboard is lagging. If I open up my stock browser and click on the search bar to type I have to wait 5 seconds or more until the keyboard pops up. I love the S5 but over the past 2 days my experience has become terrible as well as my battery life. I dont have many apps besides Tapatalk and social networks such as twitter and instagram. Anyone have any tips or potential fixes ? Please comment below.

(Edit: Sometimes the phone will stay on in my pocket randomly without me touching the screen. I havent changed any settings and the timeout is set to 15 seconds.)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-27-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Global Posts
    5,010 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Default Re: Lag and other problems with my S5

Have you reset your phone since this happened, sometimes its best to reset the phone and add the apps you use one at a time or in small batches to find the culprit. I had a GN3 (until today) on AT&T (until today) and Lookout was absolutely killing my battery to the tune of 50% or greater use with the GN3 sitting idle and not doing anything. Sounds to me like there is a wake lock issue and something is just chewing up battery. Reset and go one app at a time, also check to see what is sucking up battery and it will tell you the wake lock use time as well.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    Have you reset your phone since this happened, sometimes its best to reset the phone and add the apps you use one at a time or in small batches to find the culprit. I had a GN3 (until today) on AT&T (until today) and Lookout was absolutely killing my battery to the tune of 50% or greater use with the GN3 sitting idle and not doing anything. Sounds to me like there is a wake lock issue and something is just chewing up battery. Reset and go one app at a time, also check to see what is sucking up battery and it will tell you the wake lock use time as well.
    I will try this when I leave work today thanks

Did you turn off animations in developer settings?

-Sent from Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
    Did you turn off animations in developer settings?

-Sent from Tapatalk
    I just did and that seemed to have helped. I also deleted the carrier apps Ill report back later with my battery life.

I recommend downloading Nova Launcher. It should help with some of the lag.

Global Posts
    5,010 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Alternate launchers are always a good first step, going into developer options and making a few tweaks there and turning off the developer and Samsung bloat. I plan to disable much more the next time around.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

I was having terrible lag while typing. Messages, emails, browsing the internet. Anything using the keyboard was so laggy. I cleared out the cache and it didn't help, so I downloaded the google keyboard and deactivated the samsung keyboard and that solved my lag problems completely. I had the same problem as you, clicking on the browser to go to a website, or typing something to search seemed to take forever. 100% better after the google keyboard. Hope this helps.
    Thanked by:
    bgl321 

Global Posts
    1,654 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

I use Apex Launcher, disabled the manufacturer and carrier bloat and turned off animation in the developer settings. The result was a very snappy phone with even better battery life.
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.
    Thanked by:
    bgl321 

Quote Originally Posted by pappy53 View Post
    Turn off animations, change launchers, switch keyboards, etc., just to reduce the lag on a $600 phone? Wow! I am sure that it is a great phone, but that sounds crazy.
    i agree, sounds like something is running or hung. huge delay and terrible battery, doesn't sound like .5 seconds of animation.

Its just amazing to me how some people are experiencing this lag and others and I have not. Just for the sake of it I went back to stock settings for a few days just to see if I could experience what others have. The only thing I kept from my main setup was Swiftkey and I still did not get this "lag" some are complaining about. When compared to my friends HTC M8 it is slower yes, but only slightly and on par with my N5. The only noticeable pauses were from the My magazine feature. This is really weird. I can only come to the conclusion that its and app and or malware or something along those lines that is causing this.
    debdroid1a likes this.

What i don't get is why did Samsung put 3GB of ram into the Note 3 then decide to put 2GB in the s5? I bought my Note 3 last month and looking at specs i rather have 3GB of Ram and the snapdragon 800 cpu then the s5 with 2GB of Ram and the snapdragon 801 cpu ( really minor upgrade with the same GPU the Andreno 330). putting in 3GB of ram would of made the s5 snappy and i probably would of waited since i liked the 16 megapixel camera

Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    What i don't get is why did Samsung put 3GB of ram into the Note 3 then decide to put 2GB in the s5? I bought my Note 3 last month and looking at specs i rather have 3GB of Ram and the snapdragon 800 cpu then the s5 with 2GB of Ram and the snapdragon 801 cpu ( really minor upgrade with the same GPU the Andreno 330). putting in 3GB of ram would of made the s5 snappy and i probably would of waited since i liked the 16 megapixel camera
    I'd like 3gb of ram too, but the note 3 has it because the stylus apps are always running in the background taking up 1gb of ram

If you notice, the note versions of their tablets also have 3gb of ram while the non-note ones only have 2 gb

-Sent from Tapatalk
    debdroid1a likes this.

Global Posts
    2,424 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by neiljay6 View Post
    Its just amazing to me how some people are experiencing this lag and others and I have not. Just for the sake of it I went back to stock settings for a few days just to see if I could experience what others have. The only thing I kept from my main setup was Swiftkey and I still did not get this "lag" some are complaining about. When compared to my friends HTC M8 it is slower yes, but only slightly and on par with my N5. The only noticeable pauses were from the My magazine feature. This is really weird. I can only come to the conclusion that its and app and or malware or something along those lines that is causing this.
    I think some people have more of a tolerance for lag or stutter and it doesn't bother them. Or they have used nothing but Android phones and they are used to it.

Someone coming from an iPhone or windows phone will notice the stutter right away.

Posted via Android Central App
    bgl321 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I think some people have more of a tolerance for lag or stutter and it doesn't bother them. Or they have used nothing but Android phones and they are used to it.

Someone coming from an iPhone or windows phone will notice the stutter right away.

Hmmm.. You could be very right about that. As much as I love the customization and options available to me with Android I must admit it is slower than both those platforms. It has come a very long way but still slower.

Default Re: Lag and other problems with my Galaxy S5

Some of the might be able to be fixed via developer options. I heard you can change the animation times or turn them off completely..

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post

This might describe why I notice the lag so much. I just switched from a iPhone 5s, The funny thing is when I had my note 3 it never lagged. I think the S5 does need more ram.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

The new touchwize needs to be more optimized.

Quote Originally Posted by xxtechhead View Post
    This might describe why I notice the lag so much. I just switched from a iPhone 5s, The funny thing is when I had my note 3 it never lagged. I think the S5 does need more ram.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Yep, I'm very disappointed it didn't include 3gb ram

-Sent from Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
    I'd like 3gb of ram too, but the note 3 has it because the stylus apps are always running in the background taking up 1gb of ram

If you notice, the note versions of their tablets also have 3gb of ram while the non-note ones only have 2 gb

-Sent from Tapatalk
    Actually the note 1 had 1gb of ram and the 2 had 2 gb.... Putting in 3gb of ram in the s5 would solve any lag issues coupled with the snapdragon 801

Sent from my SM-N900T

Prime will have it next month, good things come to those who wait
    Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thegrants82 View Post
    Prime will have it next month, good things come to those who wait
    If you live in Korea maybe! The current s5 is the only one you will see in the USA!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    maverick96 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy13 View Post
    If you live in Korea maybe! The current s5 is the only one you will see in the USA!

This is 100% true. Will not launch here in the states

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy13 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by maverick96 View Post
    This is 100% true. Will not launch here in the states
    This article states it will be in Europe and USA

http://phandroid.com/2014/04/28/gala...-release-date/

-Sent from Tapatalk

Global Posts
    2,424 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by xxtechhead View Post
    Agree with this. I never have issues like this on my Note 3. It just seems to "breath" easier. I don't even mind TouchWiz, I just wish they would optimize it and make it more efficient. They are probably so deep in the code right now that a total rewrite would have to happen.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast