Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Easy one, does 3.0 charge quicker than 2.0?

Im struggling to find a definitive answer.

Considering buying a 3.0 cable if it is.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT; This is for use on my S5 and I will use the mains adapter that came with it.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: USB 3.0 Charging question

I can't say it will on all devices because the device has to support it but yes. USB 3.0 can provide high current than USB 2.0.

USB 3.0: 4.5 - 100* watts
    USB 2.0: 2.5 watts

http://www.usb.org/developers/powerdelivery/

* When USB Power Delivery Specification is supported.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Nice one.

Any one else have a view on this?? Need to find a decent 2m cable

dd4

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I can't say it will on all devices because the device has to support it but yes. USB 3.0 can provide high current than USB 2.0.

USB 3.0: 4.5 - 100* watts
    USB 2.0: 2.5 watts

USB.org - USB Power Delivery

* When USB Power Delivery Specification is supported.
    Is this not just the power you can get from a USB2 port on a computer though. 2.5Watt/5V = 0.5 Amp which is the 500ma that USB can provide on a PC. However most phone chargers charge at 1amp or more via a usb2 port on the phone.
    Given that Tablets usually have a 2.1amp charger and they charge on a standard microusb port I don't see how charging the S5 on USB 3 with the supplied 2amp charger would be any faster. Surely it can already charge at 2amp with the standard micro USB.

If I find a cable to waste I could cut the power line and link it into an Amp meter

Quote Originally Posted by S5_GJH View Post
    Nice one.

Any one else have a view on this?? Need to find a decent 2m cable

oe charger block, usb2 and usb3 cables charge the same, have timed and tried both ways. a tic over a minute for 1% increase. not scientific, just 10min then see how fast it charges. wrote down start %, and time, recheck in 10min.
    on a computer, think usb2 is 450ma, usb3 is 900ma, both much slower than the oe block.

i also use some great anker chargers, same deal, seem to be no difference between usb2 and usb3.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for that! I won't bother wasting my money.

Banned

Global Posts
    3,472 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dd4 View Post
    Is this not just the power you can get from a USB2 port on a computer though. 2.5Watt/5V = 0.5 Amp which is the 500ma that USB can provide on a PC. However most phone chargers charge at 1amp or more via a usb2 port on the phone.
    Given that Tablets usually have a 2.1amp charger and they charge on a standard microusb port I don't see how charging the S5 on USB 3 with the supplied 2amp charger would be any faster. Surely it can already charge at 2amp with the standard micro USB.

If I find a cable to waste I could cut the power line and link it into an Amp meter

Based on my naked eye with the Note 3 and what i experienced with my nexus 5 and Galaxy s4 which are the other 2 recent phones i have owned the Note 3 with the supplied usb 3.0 cable and charger (out put at 2 amps ) the note 3 charged faster then the s4 or nexus 5. Since i use wireless charging negates this but I would suggest the 3.0 cable. You can get a 6 foot meter from amazon ( errr 1.8 meters) in the US for like $6.00 so i would assume around the same wherever you are ( assuming since OP stated metric lol )