Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By luke31
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    749 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

Default Girlfriend's S5 Won't Stop Updating Messages

Hey guys. So my girlfriend decided to switch from iOS to Android and to get the Galaxy S5. She initially used the Smartswitch App to transfer contacts, photos, etc. There's a problem, however. Now, every time she turns the phone on and off, there is a notification that says "Updating Messages." This is likely Smartswitch trying to gather all of her old conversations. The only problem, however, is that it always gets stuck at about 2-3%. The only way to turn it off is to force close a service called "wssyncmlnps." Whenever the phone gets turned on and off, however, the same process starts right back up. It's infuriating, and we can't seem to stop it. I even uninstalled Smartswitch, but that hasn't helped at all. Has anyone else experienced this? We really don't want to have to do a factory reset. Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App
    Motorola Moto X Pure Edition (2nd Generation)
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3

Retired Devices:
    Sony Xperia Z1s, Droid DNA, Nexus 7, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid X2, Motorola Droid, Blackberry Bold 9000, iPhone 1st Generation
    Nadine Terens likes this.

Angry Re: Girlfriend's S5 Won't Stop Updating Messages

Same FRUSTRATING issue here.

Samsung tech support wants to RESET the phone!!! No way!

That's a lame "I have no clue what's going on and we'll hope resetting fixes this issue!"

Ridiculous.

Default Re: Girlfriend's S5 Won't Stop Updating Messages

I used File Manager to navigate to /sdcard/_SamsungBnR_/MGD

I found a file there called SMSBulk.bin

Rather than deleting it I renamed it to OLDSMSBulk.bin and restarted. So far so good. If I (or you) run into problems it will be easy to revert the name back. Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by swens893 View Post
    I used File Manager to navigate to /sdcard/_SamsungBnR_/MGD

Rather than deleting it I renamed it to OLDSMSBulk.bin and restarted. So far so good. If I (or you) run into problems it will be easy to revert the name back. Hope it helps.

I would love to try the is bit do not have such a file name in my phone. .. it's the most frustrating thing ever especially since it drains the battery
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    749 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

Well, we caved and did a factory reset. This time, we dragged an dropped all photos manually and created new contacts from scratch. We never touched that Smartswitch append everything is fine now. I'm sorry to say it, but if anyone else is having this issue, a factory reset and an avoidance of Smartswitch like it's the plague seem to be the only things you can do.
    Motorola Moto X Pure Edition (2nd Generation)
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3

Retired Devices:
    Sony Xperia Z1s, Droid DNA, Nexus 7, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid X2, Motorola Droid, Blackberry Bold 9000, iPhone 1st Generation

"I used File Manager to navigate to /sdcard/_SamsungBnR_/MGD

Posted via Android Central App"

THIS ONE REALLY WORKS!! I'd tried everything (and didn't want to do factory restore) and this is the only one that worked. One forum suggested deleting a file called SMARTSWITCH which some people think has been causing the issue but this didn't work. Thank you thank you thank you to whoever discovered this!