Home button - turning on AND off the lock screen?

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I like that the home button quickly turns the S5's screen on to the lock screen to check the time or for notifications, but unfortunately hitting the home button again doesn't turn the screen back off and I have to reach for the power button. Is there a way to change that?

jetfixer01

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I hope you get an answer. I would like to know how to turn off the home button from being able to do what you like. It keeps turning the phone on in my pocket.

GC736

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I hope you get an answer. I would like to know how to turn off the home button from being able to do what you like. It keeps turning the phone on in my pocket.

I had the same problem, but it wasn't the Home button causing the issue, rather it was the Air Wake Up function. That is the one that wakes the phone by waving your hand over the screen. The motion in my pocket was enough to set it off.

To disable, go to Settings>Accessibility>Dexterity and interaction>Air wake up, then turn off.

Posted via Android Central App

jackrock

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

I agree. The home button is too easily pressed by accident, needs to be disabled for turning on the lock screen.

lonechicken

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, one of the first things to make me dislike my S5 and was never a problem on my Galaxy Nexus since there was no hard home button. What usually happens is the phone turns on and my music player does a bunch of unintended stuff. (Having an option to disable showing the music player on the lockscreen would help as well)

The only answer I've seen so far is to root it. I'm not going to do that. There's also a lockscreen app called Kitkat Lockscreen by Hi App which works to an extent. But that forces you to either use a swipe to unlock or an unlock code... not fingerprint or pattern.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I like that the home button quickly turns the S5's screen on to the lock screen to check the time or for notifications, but unfortunately hitting the home button again doesn't turn the screen back off and I have to reach for the power button. Is there a way to change that?

I notice the Home button turns on my S5 but it needs a swipe down to complete the opening of the phone. If I do not do that, the screen goes blank in 5 seconds. I use a PIN rather than a fingerprint to unlock my phone. My Lock screen setting is for 30 minutes of inactivity and my Display screen timeout setting is for 5 minutes.

Check your Lock screen settings.

Asrar Ahmed

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
By looking at comment replies, it doesn't look like anyone understood your question. You like that you can turn the phone on by pressing home button, but want to turn it off too using the same home button. From stock Android point of view, that does not seem possible, but I think through root, that function can be attained. And that's what I'm looking for.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I think the answer to so many of your collective problems...is to stop wearing akin tight skinny jeans...the button will get pressed less...and tpu won't look so much like a hipster *****!

Posted via Android Central App

Papa Jo

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
ok, ive never posted on any forums before but here goes. I have the s5 a love most of its features, however I work construction and alotnof the time when im moving around and that phone moves in my pocket, it proceeds to turn on every game and flashlight and call 4 countries all at the same time so my battert dies within a couple hours.

My Solution: Short of rooting, I garantee this is the best option, use Macrodroid, creat a macro (trigger> shortcut launcher)(action> screen off) with no constraints. some launchers allow you to creat shortcuts based from other apps, nova launcher is the best option for this. so go into (nova) launcher settings, and where it wants you to set an action for the home button, use the macro by selecting shortcut> macrodroid>(whatever you named your macro). that should cut the screen off when you press the home button at the home screen or if it keeps turning on in your pocket, the button is the most raised part of the face of the phone so it has the highest chance to be pressed over and over as you walk or lean down for things. this will basically tell the phone to turn its screen back off. lock screens still allow you to **** dial your emergency contacts so deal breaker for me. this is the best possibly fix for this so far that im aware of.

Mike2U

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Maybe if they provided a user manual that covers all the features of the phone an owner would be able to determine the answers to 99% of their questions on their own. What has happened to documentation for computers? I bought a Windows 7 laptop and it was non-existent. All the Android devices I've purchased suck big time. Do companies believe saving on documentation while getting ten times the number of tech support inquiries is the best model? Does anybody know who makes a comprehensive user manual for these phones?

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I did a google search for "galaxy S5 manual" and found the manual on line in the PDF format. Found it for Verizon, Sprint, etc.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I did a google search for "galaxy S5 manual" and found the manual on line in the PDF format. Found it for Verizon, Sprint, etc.

I found mention of the manual in a couple of places also. I downloaded it and have it for reference anytime needed.

* PDF Manual Samsung Galaxy S5 270 page

* PDF manual from Samsung - Android Forums

I just reviewed those links and the manual downlink is hard to find.
If anyone needs it, I will be glad to email it. However, it is 13 mBytes. I have a host to put it on if requested.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I know this thread is some months old but....

If you put on a tempered glass screen protector your home button will no longer be raised, and tempered glass protectors are awesome.

joe watson1

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site

If you put on a tempered glass screen protector your home button will no longer be raised, and tempered glass protectors are awesome.

Interesting idea. I know on my iPhone the protective glass I had on it did make the home button seem recessed some.

George Malone

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
[I had the same problem, but it wasn't the Home button causing the issue, rather it was the Air Wake Up function. That is the one that wakes the phone by waving your hand over the screen. The motion in my pocket was enough to set it off.

To disable, go to Settings>Accessibility>Dexterity and interaction>Air wake up, then turn off.

Posted via Android Central App]

checked that status and it is already off

appreciate the suggestion but the home button still activates the phone...turning it into a pocket warmer and battery drainer...

George Malone

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
actually, I would like to turn the home button off when the phone was turn off by the power button.

getting tired of the pocket warmer and battery killer...this was not an advantage for buying this device

Lord zeel

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I had been looking for this ability for a long time, and finally there is a solution. It does require root, you need an Xposed module called "Xposed Additions". This allows you to remap your physical buttons, and do so conditionally. You can set the condition to 'lock screen', and the action to the power button - the home will then turn the screen off again, but only on the lock screen.

Sorry I can't hyperlink this:
repo.xposed.info/module/com.spazedog.xposed.additionsgb

lonechicken

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I feel like this is an annoying enough issue that I'd even consider writing an app for it to solve the problem without needing to root. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how feasible it is.

JacopoS85

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
hi guys,
I got a galaxy s5 since Oct 2014. Everything was nice until yesterday, when I decided to factory reset the device.

As I rebooted it and entered all my accounts and stuffs, I realized that my home button is NOT working anymore when the phone is locked.
The only way to unlock the phone, beside airwave command, is using the power button.
This is very annoying, I loved to click on home button to check notifications etc, now I cant get this feature back...

anyone can help? I am losing hopes...:-$

thanks.

augerin

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

Again a reply to a months old message, but using a tempered glass screen protector works great. I put one on because they are indeed very awesome, and the home button is a mm or so below the screen so no accidental turn ons.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670