Camera won't focus

prodiger

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey. I just got my new S5. It worked perfect for about two days and now my camera won't focus. It shows red circle when I tap. Also, the camera is focused for objects in 10cm distance, almost like macro mode. I've tried clearing cache, resetting data -- nothing seemed to work. Any tips?

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
That sucks
Could be a setting. Could be a software glitch.
The first thing that comes to mind is uninstall and reinstall. But that's probably the stock camera app you're talking about, right? Then you can't uninstall on an unrooted device. Which I don't advise you do with a device as new as that. So what else can you do?
Tried any other camera apps? Like Camera360 or A Better Camera (my current fav)? Any problems focusing those?

sleevemedia

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
FWIW, check that the protective film is removed from the lens. Found mine left on a few days after they unwrapped it at the store. Air bubble at just the wrong spot can make focus fail.

There's also a reset specifically for camera settings, if you scroll the list of all settings options to the bottom.

Otherwise, time for a replacement.

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed with image stabilization enabled it needs you to keep still while taking the picture and hold still for a second or two after snapping the picture - which is totally counterintuitive to how image stabilization should work. Just turn it off and picture taking works better.

prodiger

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I have removed the protective film. As I said before, the camera worked flawlessly for a couple days, but then suddenly it stopped focusing.

I'll try to get a replacement.

tig_gull

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem, reset settings, changed camera apps, everything. And the camera won't focus, I am going to try and get a replacement as well. Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

dokan

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I also got an S5 recently and I also have the same problem. Camera wont focus! But this seems like a software issue rather than a hardware issue as I never dropped the phone or anything. Hopefully Samsung will fix this.

dokan

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Nope I'm sorry, as I further investigate the issue it seems like a hardware issue. When I lightly hit the camera with my hand the the visual becomes focused, after I lightly shake the phone the visual becomes unfocused again.
It seems focus inside the camera broke or something. So nope its not a software issue definitely a hardware issue and the unit must be replaced.

Aramaz

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Nope I'm sorry, as I further investigate the issue it seems like a hardware issue. When I lightly hit the camera with my hand the the visual becomes focused, after I lightly shake the phone the visual becomes unfocused again.
It seems focus inside the camera broke or something. So nope its not a software issue definitely a hardware issue and the unit must be replaced.

I had the exact issue and thanks to your post, I tested with the shaking and it became focused again. I was lucky enough to notice this in the first 7 days of my order, so it was valid for a DOA (Dead on Arrival) case and they simply gave me a new phone.

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I am a Certified Information Technology Researcher, Developer, and Engineer. I too purchased the S5 Active, specifically the SM-G870ACPro with Qualcomm Adreno 330 and Quad Core 2.5. I also had the Focus Problem. My phone developed the issue at 24 days into use. I got the warranty replacement, which I received the next day under priority shipping, and am upset that it was a refurbished phone. However, maybe it is a good thing. Maybe I received one which had already had camera hardware replacement and it will keep hold. I noticed my phone getting hot at first.
I pulled out my Camera to take some shots of my newborn daughter, and it wouldn't focus on anything further than 3 inches away. No film over lens, so do don't bother. No scratches, no falls, drops, etc on this Military Spec. Shock Resistant etc. phone... Factory reset, pulled the Samsung SDHC card, tried again. Nothing. So I filed for the warranty. Next day during work while using the malfunctioning phone, my leg got extremely hot. I pulled it out of my pocket, and the LED Light, the Flash, was steadily lit up. I figured my toolbox had got opened and flashlight turned on. Nope. I turned it on and off anyways, no response. So I then proceeded to open the Cam and attempt to use flash. Then I finally got the "Warning, Camera Failed" message, and everything was black. I tried this multiple times, checked tracking, and my new phone was already at it's destination. So after work I switched phones, packaged the bad one, mailed it, and done with it for now. I have the ATT Variant. ATT told me they have not received complaints or tickets under this issue yet. I say they are trying to cover the flaws.

RVdave

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey. I just got my new S5. It worked perfect for about two days and now my camera won't focus. It shows red circle when I tap. Also, the camera is focused for objects in 10cm distance, almost like macro mode. I've tried clearing cache, resetting data -- nothing seemed to work. Any tips?

I recently had the same problem with my Galaxy Note 4, and was ready to have it repaired. But, while cleaning the screen with a lens cleaner I also wiped the camera lens.......and INSTANT CURE. While previously I'd wiped the lens with only a damp cloth and it looked clean, apparently there was a film that confused the camera. Yes, water's great, but it won't remove an oily film. Hope this also works for you. Good luck - Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

OldRV

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
That sucks
Could be a setting. Could be a software glitch.
The first thing that comes to mind is uninstall and reinstall. But that's probably the stock camera app you're talking about, right? Then you can't uninstall on an unrooted device. Which I don't advise you do with a device as new as that. So what else can you do?
Tried any other camera apps? Like Camera360 or A Better Camera (my current fav)? Any problems focusing those?

New J7. Camera would not focus. Loaded "A Better Camera" thanks to you. Pix are much better. Focus now works. S6 still better though. Thank you!!!!!

ObydaKreidly

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
New J7. Camera would not focus. Loaded "A Better Camera" thanks to you. Pix are much better. Focus now works. S6 still better though. Thank you!!!!!
I wish I can say the same. New J7 camera worked just fine then 2 weeks later it stopped auto focusing, and for 9 months i wanted a replacment but suddenly a month ago the camera started auto focusing by itself !!!!!! A was told that it could be a hardware issue........ sadly the same old problem is now happening again .. tried ur App but did not work

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon