Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    prodiger's Avatar

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Camera won't focus

    Hey. I just got my new S5. It worked perfect for about two days and now my camera won't focus. It shows red circle when I tap. Also, the camera is focused for objects in 10cm distance, almost like macro mode. I've tried clearing cache, resetting data -- nothing seemed to work. Any tips?
  2. #2  
    Vsweety's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    409 Posts
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    That sucks
    Could be a setting. Could be a software glitch.
    The first thing that comes to mind is uninstall and reinstall. But that's probably the stock camera app you're talking about, right? Then you can't uninstall on an unrooted device. Which I don't advise you do with a device as new as that. So what else can you do?
    Tried any other camera apps? Like Camera360 or A Better Camera (my current fav)? Any problems focusing those?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    prodiger's Avatar

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    Just installed A Better Camera. Same.
    Screenshot: imgur: the simple image sharer

    Thanks for advice though.
  4. #4  
    sleevemedia's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    FWIW, check that the protective film is removed from the lens. Found mine left on a few days after they unwrapped it at the store. Air bubble at just the wrong spot can make focus fail.

    There's also a reset specifically for camera settings, if you scroll the list of all settings options to the bottom.

    Otherwise, time for a replacement.
  5. #5  
    cyberdman's Avatar

    Posts
    288 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    I've noticed with image stabilization enabled it needs you to keep still while taking the picture and hold still for a second or two after snapping the picture - which is totally counterintuitive to how image stabilization should work. Just turn it off and picture taking works better.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    prodiger's Avatar

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    Yes, I have removed the protective film. As I said before, the camera worked flawlessly for a couple days, but then suddenly it stopped focusing.

    I'll try to get a replacement.
  7. #7  
    tig_gull's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    I'm having the exact same problem, reset settings, changed camera apps, everything. And the camera won't focus, I am going to try and get a replacement as well. Glad to know I wasn't the only one.
  8. #8  
    JHBThree's Avatar

    Posts
    3,278 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,509 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    Mine did that as well. Generally pretty unimpressed with the camera overall. It's not very consistent
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    prodiger's Avatar

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    I'll get a replacement in a week or two
    Actually, I was very satisfied with the camera until it stop working properly.
  10. #10  
    dokan's Avatar

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    I also got an S5 recently and I also have the same problem. Camera wont focus! But this seems like a software issue rather than a hardware issue as I never dropped the phone or anything. Hopefully Samsung will fix this.
  11. #11  
    dokan's Avatar

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    Nope I'm sorry, as I further investigate the issue it seems like a hardware issue. When I lightly hit the camera with my hand the the visual becomes focused, after I lightly shake the phone the visual becomes unfocused again.
    It seems focus inside the camera broke or something. So nope its not a software issue definitely a hardware issue and the unit must be replaced.
  12. #12  
    rekkid's Avatar

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    I know someone in the industry and they say that a lot of ppl are having this problem with the camera. Lots of returns.
  13. #13  
    dokan's Avatar

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    S4 had the faulty battery issue which lots of people I know returned their phones. Now this, what the hell Samsung?!
  14. #14  
    Aramaz's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    Quote Originally Posted by dokan View Post
    Nope I'm sorry, as I further investigate the issue it seems like a hardware issue. When I lightly hit the camera with my hand the the visual becomes focused, after I lightly shake the phone the visual becomes unfocused again.
    It seems focus inside the camera broke or something. So nope its not a software issue definitely a hardware issue and the unit must be replaced.
    I had the exact issue and thanks to your post, I tested with the shaking and it became focused again. I was lucky enough to notice this in the first 7 days of my order, so it was valid for a DOA (Dead on Arrival) case and they simply gave me a new phone.
  15. #15  
    Teemu Oinio's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    Same problem with my galaxy s5. It idid work one day. This is the day two and camera won't focus. Maybe the iphone 6 is better.
  16. #16  
    dnangel_95's Avatar

    Posts
    87 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    Quote Originally Posted by Teemu Oinio View Post
    Maybe the iphone 6 is better.
    LOL
  17. #17  
    regnitsnoiprocs lulZsec's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    I am a Certified Information Technology Researcher, Developer, and Engineer. I too purchased the S5 Active, specifically the SM-G870ACPro with Qualcomm Adreno 330 and Quad Core 2.5. I also had the Focus Problem. My phone developed the issue at 24 days into use. I got the warranty replacement, which I received the next day under priority shipping, and am upset that it was a refurbished phone. However, maybe it is a good thing. Maybe I received one which had already had camera hardware replacement and it will keep hold. I noticed my phone getting hot at first.
    I pulled out my Camera to take some shots of my newborn daughter, and it wouldn't focus on anything further than 3 inches away. No film over lens, so do don't bother. No scratches, no falls, drops, etc on this Military Spec. Shock Resistant etc. phone... Factory reset, pulled the Samsung SDHC card, tried again. Nothing. So I filed for the warranty. Next day during work while using the malfunctioning phone, my leg got extremely hot. I pulled it out of my pocket, and the LED Light, the Flash, was steadily lit up. I figured my toolbox had got opened and flashlight turned on. Nope. I turned it on and off anyways, no response. So I then proceeded to open the Cam and attempt to use flash. Then I finally got the "Warning, Camera Failed" message, and everything was black. I tried this multiple times, checked tracking, and my new phone was already at it's destination. So after work I switched phones, packaged the bad one, mailed it, and done with it for now. I have the ATT Variant. ATT told me they have not received complaints or tickets under this issue yet. I say they are trying to cover the flaws.
  18. #18  
    RVdave's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prodiger View Post
    Hey. I just got my new S5. It worked perfect for about two days and now my camera won't focus. It shows red circle when I tap. Also, the camera is focused for objects in 10cm distance, almost like macro mode. I've tried clearing cache, resetting data -- nothing seemed to work. Any tips?
    I recently had the same problem with my Galaxy Note 4, and was ready to have it repaired. But, while cleaning the screen with a lens cleaner I also wiped the camera lens.......and INSTANT CURE. While previously I'd wiped the lens with only a damp cloth and it looked clean, apparently there was a film that confused the camera. Yes, water's great, but it won't remove an oily film. Hope this also works for you. Good luck - Dave
  19. #19  
    OldRV's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    Quote Originally Posted by Vsweety View Post
    That sucks
    Could be a setting. Could be a software glitch.
    The first thing that comes to mind is uninstall and reinstall. But that's probably the stock camera app you're talking about, right? Then you can't uninstall on an unrooted device. Which I don't advise you do with a device as new as that. So what else can you do?
    Tried any other camera apps? Like Camera360 or A Better Camera (my current fav)? Any problems focusing those?
    New J7. Camera would not focus. Loaded "A Better Camera" thanks to you. Pix are much better. Focus now works. S6 still better though. Thank you!!!!!
  20. #20  
    ObydaKreidly's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    Quote Originally Posted by OldRV View Post
    New J7. Camera would not focus. Loaded "A Better Camera" thanks to you. Pix are much better. Focus now works. S6 still better though. Thank you!!!!!
    I wish I can say the same. New J7 camera worked just fine then 2 weeks later it stopped auto focusing, and for 9 months i wanted a replacment but suddenly a month ago the camera started auto focusing by itself !!!!!! A was told that it could be a hardware issue........ sadly the same old problem is now happening again .. tried ur App but did not work
  21. #21  
    sok1109's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    Quote Originally Posted by RVdave View Post
    I recently had the same problem with my Galaxy Note 4, and was ready to have it repaired. But, while cleaning the screen with a lens cleaner I also wiped the camera lens.......and INSTANT CURE. While previously I'd wiped the lens with only a damp cloth and it looked clean, apparently there was a film that confused the camera. Yes, water's great, but it won't remove an oily film. Hope this also works for you. Good luck - Dave

    Omg *slaps forehead*... so simple. I just usually wiped it with a regular cloth. It worked! Thanks!
  22. #22  
    Ame_66040's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    Recently my Samsung A5's front camera stopped focussing and I have no idea how to fix it. please help!
  23. #23  
    B. Diddy's Avatar


    Posts
    77,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    77,957 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Camera won't focus

    Quote Originally Posted by Ame_66040 View Post
    Recently my Samsung A5's front camera stopped focussing and I have no idea how to fix it. please help!
    Welcome to Android Central! Have you already read through this thread? Did you already try some of the suggestions?

Similar Threads

  1. Girlfriend's S5 Won't Stop Updating Messages
    By luke31 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-19-2014, 02:56 AM
  2. camera button is not pressable!
    By preppystud in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2014, 10:47 PM
  3. Google Nexus 7 won't boot
    By mortis2930 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2014, 07:39 AM
  4. LG G2: Camera issue after update
    By Nicohlay in forum LG G2
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2014, 08:37 PM
  5. Galaxy Note 3 won't get iPhone messages?
    By J-Cat in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-26-2014, 07:01 PM

Posting Permissions

";