Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Camera won't focus

Hey. I just got my new S5. It worked perfect for about two days and now my camera won't focus. It shows red circle when I tap. Also, the camera is focused for objects in 10cm distance, almost like macro mode. I've tried clearing cache, resetting data -- nothing seemed to work. Any tips?
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Default Re: Camera won't focus

That sucks
    Could be a setting. Could be a software glitch.
    The first thing that comes to mind is uninstall and reinstall. But that's probably the stock camera app you're talking about, right? Then you can't uninstall on an unrooted device. Which I don't advise you do with a device as new as that. So what else can you do?
    Tried any other camera apps? Like Camera360 or A Better Camera (my current fav)? Any problems focusing those?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Just installed A Better Camera. Same.
    Screenshot: imgur: the simple image sharer

Thanks for advice though.

FWIW, check that the protective film is removed from the lens. Found mine left on a few days after they unwrapped it at the store. Air bubble at just the wrong spot can make focus fail.

There's also a reset specifically for camera settings, if you scroll the list of all settings options to the bottom.

Otherwise, time for a replacement.

I've noticed with image stabilization enabled it needs you to keep still while taking the picture and hold still for a second or two after snapping the picture - which is totally counterintuitive to how image stabilization should work. Just turn it off and picture taking works better.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yes, I have removed the protective film. As I said before, the camera worked flawlessly for a couple days, but then suddenly it stopped focusing.

I'll try to get a replacement.

I'm having the exact same problem, reset settings, changed camera apps, everything. And the camera won't focus, I am going to try and get a replacement as well. Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

Mine did that as well. Generally pretty unimpressed with the camera overall. It's not very consistent
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I'll get a replacement in a week or two
    Actually, I was very satisfied with the camera until it stop working properly.

I also got an S5 recently and I also have the same problem. Camera wont focus! But this seems like a software issue rather than a hardware issue as I never dropped the phone or anything. Hopefully Samsung will fix this.

Nope I'm sorry, as I further investigate the issue it seems like a hardware issue. When I lightly hit the camera with my hand the the visual becomes focused, after I lightly shake the phone the visual becomes unfocused again.
    It seems focus inside the camera broke or something. So nope its not a software issue definitely a hardware issue and the unit must be replaced.

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

I know someone in the industry and they say that a lot of ppl are having this problem with the camera. Lots of returns.

S4 had the faulty battery issue which lots of people I know returned their phones. Now this, what the hell Samsung?!

Quote Originally Posted by dokan View Post
    Nope I'm sorry, as I further investigate the issue it seems like a hardware issue. When I lightly hit the camera with my hand the the visual becomes focused, after I lightly shake the phone the visual becomes unfocused again.
    It seems focus inside the camera broke or something. So nope its not a software issue definitely a hardware issue and the unit must be replaced.
    I had the exact issue and thanks to your post, I tested with the shaking and it became focused again. I was lucky enough to notice this in the first 7 days of my order, so it was valid for a DOA (Dead on Arrival) case and they simply gave me a new phone.

Same problem with my galaxy s5. It idid work one day. This is the day two and camera won't focus. Maybe the iphone 6 is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Teemu Oinio View Post
    Maybe the iphone 6 is better.
    LOL