Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default So torn; Keep the HTC One (M8) or get the Galaxy S5 ?

Hello, would like some honest advice and opinions please, on whether to keep my new ATT HTC One M8 or get the ATT Galaxy S5 ?

I am no fanboy, I have owned like 11 or 12 different Android phones over the past four years, HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc... To me the company brand doesn't really matter whatsoever. In this order is my opinion on most important features; #1 = Best battery life, #2 = Best screen, #3 = Pocketable and good feel in hand, and weight in pants / shorts, #4 = Root option, to debloat the phone, and install apps like AdAway, and Greenify, and Xposed Framework, #4 = Smoothness of the OS and UI, no lag, and good looking UI.

Little recent phone history the past year, I have had the ATT S4 since the Fall, and before that the Nexus 4. Got rid of the Nexus due to average battery life, and dropped it and cracked the screen. Got the ATT S4, and liked it, but didn't know about the lock bootloader before I bought it, so Root was my only option, but I was cool with that, root allowed me to all I wanted, like delete apps, install root apps, and also Xposed framework with Wanam, and I turned my S4 into a cool phone, but the S4 screen always seemed too dim for outdoors, and battery life was ok, not bad, not great, and it did lag a little here and there. So...time for an upgrade.

Reading every review out there between the new HTC One M8 and Samsung Galaxy S5, made them seem like such a tie, it was more personal features that separated them, but hardware wise, both phones share very similar components, and pretty close battery life.

After owning the One M8 for a week now, only noticeable drawbacks coming form an S4, is the weight of the M8 feels much heavier, especially when in the pockets of my pants or coat, it weighs it down noticeably more than the S4 did, and with gym shorts on the M8 feels like a brick, where the S4 was very feather light in comparison. And turning it on, the S4 with the bottom home button, I was so used to pressing then and then swiping hand to turn on the screen. The M8 has knock on, which is ok, but I don't like it that much, and then the power button on top to turn screen on, is a little pain.

But the M8 has a very beautiful LCD screen, and looks great outdoors. The speed of the M8 is crazy fast. And Sense 6 looks really good, almost like stock Android, but lightly improved or touched up. Where as Touchwiz on my S4 was an ugly mess. The settings on the Galaxy S4 was a cluster**** design, where as the Sense 6 settings menu is smart and clean looking.

But I did see a coworker with a new S5, and I did get a little jealous of it, the screen looked pretty dang sweet and his all black S5 phone in a black case, looked stealth bad *** cool The M8 in dark gray, doesn't really have an exact color matching case, so with a case on the M8 it really loose the coolness big time, this M8 looks best naked, as soon as a case it put on it, the great design disappears.

Only thing keeping me back from the S5, is ATT, and no Root, and I know for sure no bootloader unlock coming ever, but at least basic Root I need on a phone. How do you use a phone with all that crapwear installed without removing it ? And I can't afford the $700 to buy an off contract S5, plus I think that's outrageous to pay, I'd just wait for the One+ or Nexus 6 for $399.

So bottom line, is the ATT S5 worth it over the M8, if I like the lighter weight, the home button to turn it on, the gorgeous screen, and stealth look of the black design ? But with no Root, not sure I can live with that ? But then I do love Sense 6, and the ROM'ing I can do on the M8, and battery life has been off the charts good on this M8 with my rooted settings, which battery life is extremely important to me.

So ... ?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-27-2014 at 02:09 PM.
    Nexus 4 running on Straight Talk AT&T
    [ROM] Official CM10.1 Nightly 4.2.2
    Kernel - Matrix v8.5

HTC "international" One X
    [ROM] CM10 Nightly
    [Kernel] Bricked v.07

Global Posts
    4,530 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: So torn; Keep the One m8 or get the S5 ?

I've had both and quite honestly there are things about each one I like but in the end I went with the S5. Had the M8 not been so darn tall, I would have kept that but it is tough to use one handed. I absolutely loved the speakers on the M8 compared to the S5 - maybe in a future version Samsung will incorporate something along the same lines. Sense was a nice change to use from TW but I didn't care for BlinkFeed. I do agree with you in regards to the battery on the M8 - I had outstanding battery life but the S5 lasts me all day as well.

You can disable most of the carrier bloatware but not all of it. As far as root, I'm sure it's a matter of time. But in the end, you have to pick the device the bests suits your current needs. There is always something better along the way. I keep a device about 6 months on average, then off to something else.
    "In God we trust....all others we investigate".

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    I've had both and quite honestly there are things about each one I like but in the end I went with the S5. Had the M8 not been so darn tall, I would have kept that but it is tough to use one handed. I absolutely loved the speakers on the M8 compared to the S5 - maybe in a future version Samsung will incorporate something along the same lines. Sense was a nice change to use from TW but I didn't care for BlinkFeed. I do agree with you in regards to the battery on the M8 - I had outstanding battery life but the S5 lasts me all day as well.

You can disable most of the carrier bloatware but not all of it. As far as root, I'm sure it's a matter of time. But in the end, you have to pick the device the bests suits your current needs. There is always something better along the way. I keep a device about 6 months on average, then off to something else.
    What about the camera situation with the M8? I know the S5 has a really nice camera. I am on VZW so the S5 for me may be an issue. The M8 has 32 gb internal and it is doubtful VZW will get S5 32 gb but they did it with the S4 which I have now and very happy with it.

It really boils down to what you prefer but as far as the weight difference... It's .5oz sooo

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    Ambassador
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I will say, the M8 feels very premium in the hand, and the screen is extremely crisp, bright, and clear looking. My old S4 feels like a kids plastic toy, compared to the luxury feel of the M8. And Sense 6 with the Black / White colors, looks very professional and polished, compared to the **** ugly nasty Touchwiz on my S4.

But I haven't really played with an S5 much, so I am comparing my M8 to S4 which isn't fair.

I just miss the lightweight feel of the S4, with the rounded corners, felt very good in the palm of the hand.
    Kernel - Matrix v8.5

[ROM] CM10 Nightly
    [Kernel] Bricked v.07

Global Posts
    4,530 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by japetty View Post
    What about the camera situation with the M8? I know the S5 has a really nice camera. I am on VZW so the S5 for me may be an issue. The M8 has 32 gb internal and it is doubtful VZW will get S5 32 gb but they did it with the S4 which I have now and very happy with it.
    I thought the M8 took pretty decent pics and the camera was fast. I've read where a lot of people bash the camera but for a phone, it was fine. If you need a better and/or higher resolution pic, use a dedicated DSL camera. I don't take beach pictures with a device and think they will turn out great but that's what the Canon is for.

And the 32gb internal was nice to have.
    "In God we trust....all others we investigate".

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".

I returned my M8 and went with the GS5. Glad I did.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: So torn; Keep the HTC One (M8) or get the Galaxy S5 ?

This is your trade-off:
    The weight in your pocket for being able to root and UI quality.

Are you willing to give up the smoothest UI on android and the ability to root and debloat the phone in exchange for a lighter phone?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    1,584 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

The camera on the S5 is much better than the M8. I have read that the camera software is also a lot better. Basically the M8 is known for it's sound and design whereas the S5 is known for it's display, camera and specs.

Quote Originally Posted by japetty View Post
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

One minor thing, I like the look of the black colored S5 with a cool flat black case on it, looks very stealth and bad ***, and the phone sits flat on a desk with a case, easy to still use the phone flat. Where as the M8 is curved, and any case on the M8 immediately kills the great looks of the new One. Is funny, the S5 actually looks better with the right case on it, and the M8 only looks awesome naked, but is dangerous to run around with the M8 unprotected. I haven't see any good looking case for the M8 yet, they all destroy the beauty of the phone.
    Kernel - Matrix v8.5

[ROM] CM10 Nightly
    [Kernel] Bricked v.07

The m8 is also known for its much smoother UI experience and display.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    The camera on the S5 is much better than the M8. I have read that the camera software is also a lot better. Basically the M8 is known for it's sound and design whereas the S5 is known for it's display, camera and specs.
    Posted via Android Central App

After using both, I went with the S5 as well and I'm glad I did. Removable battery and expandable memory aren't important to some but for weekend camping getaways and things like that, you can't beat taking along an extra battery and knowing you don't need to worry about charging. The battery life is phenominal and the screen is rated the best display to date on a phone, even in broad daylight. The Htc is a great phone as well but camera is mediocre at best. Taking photos from 25 feet to 30 feet away with both, there is no comparison. M8 being made of metal is dismissable when putting a case on it. So all in all, it's S5 win. In fairness I will say that I really wanted the M8 to be a better phone.

hello. i'd like to add my bits to the discussion on S5 vs M8. I lost my S3 while on vacation in NM last week and promptly headed down to my carrier to investigate my options. I went straight for the S5 (obvi) because I liked S3. I never rooted anything even though I've been using droids for yearsssss. At the last moment, we asked about the HTC (winking at me from the pedestal next to the SAMSUNG pedestal full of all it's goodies... the ONE was featured alone.)

Before the S3, I was using HTC's Thunderbolt. Which I LOVED. The camera was amazeballs for it's time while the rest of cameraphone technology caught up with it. Because I'm into photos, I noticed immediately that I had "traded down" when I went from Thunderbolt to S3. The photos weren't awful, just not the quality I had become accustomed to. I love that HTC's stock camera's have editing features which I found frustrating with S3. So when the gal at the store started talking about the new technology HTC is using on the M8, i was immediately interested (and quite frankly, IN!)

I've played with my M8 now for just over a week. I know I can take it back for a $50 restock and get the S5. I've read a LOT of stuff (opinion articles, Consumer Reports, Android mags, etc) and so far, I'm not convinced that I made the wrong choice. After using the M8, I realize how much I miss the elegance of an HTC product. It is SO slick!!! From the sexy outer wrapping to the way it hauls buns, it is easy to use. And since I finally did the research and ROOTED it last night, I'm pretty sure it's a keeper (for me!)

So the camera (because HTC is always leading-edge and bold enough to break away from the megapixel wars by introducing ULTRA-pixel technology with the dual front-end cameras) (yes, technically m8 has 3 cameras) was the differentiator for me. Fingerprint-blah. Waterproof-blah. Oh and that HTC boomsound. Yes!!!! I do hope other makers adopt this... again, HTC is a leader, pushing the edge of mobile technology further forward.

Off to find a thread for what to install after rooting. Peace out.

Quote Originally Posted by cstars4u View Post
    So the camera (because HTC is always leading-edge and bold enough to break away from the megapixel wars by introducing ULTRA-pixel technology with the dual front-end cameras) (yes, technically m8 has 3 cameras) was the differentiator for me. Fingerprint-blah. Waterproof-blah. Oh and that HTC boomsound. Yes!!!! I do hope other makers adopt this... again, HTC is a leader, pushing the edge of mobile technology further forward.

Off to find a thread for what to install after rooting. Peace out.
    I think this is the first time that I've read someone choosing the M8 over the S5 because of the camera. I've used both (carry the S5) and I frankly don't think it's close. Ultrapixels sounds like something out of a marketing department (yes, I understand it and choose not to believe it). Every independent review I've read indicates that the S5 is better in nearly every picture taking category than the M8, and better than the iPhone 5s in many. The biggest difference to me is the sensor on the S5, which is worldclass for a camera phone. When you add the megapixels at 16, it's awesome because you can actually zoom and enlarge.

Frankly, the ranking for cameras on phones should go:

1) Lumia
    2) S5
    3) iPhone
    4) M8

But I guess YMMV. To me, the M8 is all about a metal body and great sound. The S5 is all about the screen, the camera, the replaceable battery, and to me at least, the waterproofing.

Global Posts
    4,950 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

There were two factors that kept me from getting the M8, first I a sealed battery, I prefer an removable battery, and second the onscreen buttons. They increased the screen size and them move the buttons up from the stupid black bar and took away the added space. Remove the HTC logo on the front, put the capacitive buttons on the black bar and maybe I would have opted for it. I also hate blinkfeed but that is remedied by using Nova Launcher

I had both for 2 weeks now. I recently returned the HTC m8 . S5 was much better IMO

And I have no idea where people are comming up with lag on the s5 , I had both and after turning off animations on the s5 which caused the "lag" It is pretty much on par with the HTC m8. Iand I personally hated the screen on the htc one m8, the blacks looked VERY weird to me, they weren't really black , it was because of the screen i think. but man do i LOOOOOVE this AMOLLED tech the s5 has.

I never owned a samsung or HTC phone and the s5 jsut felt better. it has so much more,

>Better screen
    > better battery (and swappable
    > the capacative buttons are better than touchscreen because they dont take away screenspace on home screen which i hated on the m8 ( you have to root your m8 jsut to get immersive mode i mean really?)
    >Waterproof is nice I am on my phone in the shower now ,scrub a dub dub...

All I got from the m8 was
    > better speakers
    which i loved but its not worth it .
    the metal case is nice but its weird that i have no problem one handing the s5 while i had problems with the m8