Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Cobravision
  • 2 Post By fanaticalism
  • 1 Post By sjaduae
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware Software On This Phone?...

...I've read somewhere that this is really not an issue with android phones. This article (Why You Should Do More to Secure Your Smartphone - DailyFinance) seems to suggest otherwise.

Any opinions about whether or not to install such software on our phones. And if it's recommended, what anti-virus software would you suggest?

Default Re: Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware Software On This Phone?...

Verizon has antivirus software already installed on their phones. Not sure about other carriers.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Di View Post
    Verizon has antivirus software already installed on their phones. Not sure about other carriers.
    Interesting. Never heard that before. Have a link for that?

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Sent from Verizon Galaxy S5 (usually) in NYC

Unless you are sideloading cracked apps from dodgy app stores (Chinese or otherwise), there is no need for anti-virus apps. You know who thinks you do? Companies that sell anti-virus apps.
    Thanked by:
    moosc 
    moosc and GC736 like this.

I put lookout on my phones and it is good peace of mind and checks weekly for bugs

Global Posts
    1,830 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

The chances of getting a virus on your Android phone are very very slim. So long as you don't download apps from shady sites you won't have a problem. It's objective...some people swear by anti-virus software and others don't. Most of the anti-virus apps also include a way to locate a lost phone and remotely wipe the device. If it makes YOU feel better than certainly use one. I never use anti-virus apps and I have never had an issue.
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.

I remember asking back when I first switched to android was told they do more harm than good. I can't remember exact details but it had something to do with system hog?

Seriously has there been news where android phones were effected?

SHIFT_pro s5
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

Global Posts
    1,830 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

I believe it had something to do with using RAM and battery to run in the background. I tried a few and none ever caused any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    I remember asking back when I first switched to android was told they do more harm than good. I can't remember exact details but it had something to do with system hog?

Seriously has there been news where android phones were effected?

SHIFT_pro s5
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.

Check out these articles regarding how unsafe phones running on Android really are.

US government says Android is a malware magnet:
    US government says Android is a malware magnet thanks to OS fragmentation | The Verge

Google Play removes apps due to malware:
    Google removes 32 apps from Google Play over malware concerns | Android Central

Quote Originally Posted by sonyman7 View Post
    Check out these articles regarding how unsafe phones running on Android really are.

US government says Android is a malware magnet:
    US government says Android is a malware magnet thanks to OS fragmentation | The Verge

Google Play removes apps due to malware:
    Google removes 32 apps from Google Play over malware concerns | Android Central
    You really signed up to troll with this uneducated post?

Link

Just like every other person who uses these types of articles to strike fear, it seems as if you didn't bother to read them yourself. Please read my links and post so you can educate yourself.
    debdroid1a and jaycrewz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    Interesting. Never heard that before. Have a link for that?

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app
    It's called VZ Protect and it came installed on my phone. Here's an article about it: Verizon Wireless Launches Mobile Security App For Android To Help Customers Beef Up Protection

That one is old, but gives you an overview

Not even Kit Kat has the correct exposed controls for a true Windows-like anti virus software, so there's a limit to what any security apk can manage. I don't even bother. Identify browsers as desktop and avoid all m. , .mobi , and similar crippled trash sites. Always know the source of your apk and be double cautious of anything free. Triple cautious of anything with in app billing or access to calling.

A while back the excuse I heard was if the APIs for anti virus were exposed, someone would just write a virus and market it as a trojan horse....and it would probably be able to block uninstall by closing the network ports for Google remote uninstall.....due to elevated control.

In four years of using Android phones and two years using an iPhone I've never once used or needed Antivirus software installed. But I'm an IT tech for a living so I'm not some dufuss that clicks links in emails from spammers and such.

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts

I use AVG on my PC and on my S5 and they are not a little app developer

Try the free version and see

I liked it as the data use function was better than the standard

Global Posts
    446 Global Posts

Norton Anti Virus on my phone .

Quote Originally Posted by sjaduae View Post
    I use AVG on my PC and on my S5 and they are not a little app developer

Try the free version and see

I liked it as the data use function was better than the standard
    AVG >>> NOPE. Get out while you can, these guys have a bad track record.

On my Note 3 I use McAfee Antivirus. Very well know. And they recently went free. With in app purchases of course

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Relgoshan View Post
    AVG >>> NOPE. Get out while you can, these guys have a bad track record.
    I've used them for over 10 years since the last time I got a virus that Norton did not detect or could fix, each to there own
    Rev2010 likes this.

I've used them for over 10 years since the last time I got a virus that Norton did not detect or could fix, each to there own
    That just means you have good habits, I've had to clean so many PCs running AVG.

That just means you have good habits, I've had to clean so many PCs running AVG.
    In my experience at an IT tech for a living AVG is far superior to others like Symantec. Nothing is perfect or 100% however.

Rev.

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts

I have 3 sons who poke around every nook and cranny, game sites etc and a non tech savvy wife

They too under my insistence have used AVG for the same 10 years since it was one of my sons that got the last and only virus we ever had on the 20+ laptops I have bought them

I did get a free copy of Norton from my ISP and spent more time closing annoying pop-up than actually getting on with task in hand and deleted it after a month

The only thing I used from McAfee was the file safe but that's not supported anymore and to my surprise is bundled with the paid version of AVG

You don't need anti virus most likely, all those types of apps slow down the phone, task killers, cache cleaners, lookout, battery saving apps, no need for all that. Look at this forum, do you see anyone complaining about viruses? Malware?

I use ESET Nod32 on all my PCs. I was surprised to see they had an Android version. Bought it immediately.

I have 3 sons who poke around every nook and cranny, game sites etc and a non tech savvy wife

They too under my insistence have used AVG for the same 10 years since it was one of my sons that got the last and only virus we ever had on the 20+ laptops I have bought them

I did get a free copy of Norton from my ISP and spent more time closing annoying pop-up than actually getting on with task in hand and deleted it after a month

The only thing I used from McAfee was the file safe but that's not supported anymore and to my surprise is bundled with the paid version of AVG
    Maybe that's what we were doing wrong, didn't convert to it like aa new age religion...I guess as long as you are favored of AVG knock yourself out...? Great to hear actually.

Quote Originally Posted by IBMJunkman View Post
    I use ESET Nod32 on all my PCs. I was surprised to see they had an Android version. Bought it immediately.
    Oooh yeah I used NOD on the PC for years. Then after many years away from Norton I converted my work laptop to Norton 360. So far so good but keeping an eye on it.

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts

Maybe that's what we were doing wrong, didn't convert to it like aa new age religion...I guess as long as you are favored of AVG knock yourself out...? Great to hear actually..
    Did not favor it just been lucky