Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By keyzlife
  • 1 Post By Raymond Tan
  • 1 Post By williams448
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Default New to Galaxy S5 coming from iPhone... few newb questions

I recently picked up a new S5 (Verizon) and the Gear 2 neo. So far I like both a lot. I have been a long time IPhone user and have been away from Android since my old HTC EVO. I do have a couple questions I was hoping to get some help with:

1. Using Samsung Smart Switch Mobile I was able to get most of my Icloud stuff synced except for my Safari bookmarks. In Smart Switch it isn't an option I can pick even though I have seen others that have it. My icloud back up does have Safari checked. Anyone else experiencing this? Any work around?

2. Is there any way to change the color option on Touchwiz with out rooting? I'm not really digging the whole teel thing.

3. What music management program do you guys use on your desktop. I obviously use iTunes on my mac and want something similar to manage songs/playlists on my S5.

Thanks for any tips you can share.

Default Re: New to Samsung S5 coming from IPhone... few newb questions

Hi, I'm also just switched from an iPhone to the GS5, and so far I know you can use Samsung Kies to manage most of your stuff just as you would using iTunes, this is for question 3 btw, sorry I can't or dont have the knowledge to answer the first 2 questions :3!

Quote Originally Posted by dusty78 View Post
    I recently picked up a new S5 (Verizon) and the Gear 2 neo. So far I like both a lot. I have been a long time IPhone user and have been away from Android since my old HTC EVO. I do have a couple questions I was hoping to get some help with:

1. Using Samsung Smart Switch Mobile I was able to get most of my Icloud stuff synced except for my Safari bookmarks. In Smart Switch it isn't an option I can pick even though I have seen others that have it. My icloud back up does have Safari checked. Anyone else experiencing this? Any work around?

2. Is there any way to change the color option on Touchwiz with out rooting? I'm not really digging the whole teel thing.

3. What music management program do you guys use on your desktop. I obviously use iTunes on my mac and want something similar to manage songs/playlists on my S5.

Thanks for any tips you can share.
    #2 I haven't seen an option for this. I think it's what were stuck with unless you root. But coming from the S3 and S4 I like it better!

#3 I actually use iTunes still. You can download Google play music manager for desktop and it will sync with your iTunes acct on your pc. I stuck with iTunes because it matched all of my album art for my CDs I uploaded. Works great.

sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    hwldknights likes this.

You can download another 3rd party launcher, which can add a lot of other functions that Touchwiz does not have. Almost all of the 3rd party launchers have themes that you can install to change the look. You do not have to rooted, some are free, some are paid.
    hwldknights likes this.

Ditto on Google Play Music. Once the music manager is on your desktop, just upload your music and playlists and you can access them on your phone via the Play Music app. Just pin (download) any music to your phone you want the play offline, or listen to all your music online. After all that, you can still organize, alter, or create playlists. You can purchase music through both Google Play or iTunes. You can set the Music manager on your desktop to automatically add music to your Google Play Music library that you purchase from iTunes. Hope you enjoy mate.

Sent from my badass Samsung Galaxy S5
    hwldknights likes this.

For a music manager winamp works well. I've heard great things about poweramp as well.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I also wanted to see if anyone uses a different email app. I would rather having my gmail and non-gmail email in the same place. I miss the all inbox feature from my iPhone.

Posted via Android Central App

Try mailbox by Dropbox. If you are only concerned with Gmail and icloud, it's a great option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

+1 to Mailbox. Used it on my iPhone before I switched. Was SO glad it arrived just around the time I got my S5 because I could not tolerate the Gmail App or Boomerang. It makes it so much easier to work from my iPad when I need to, as well. The ability to triage, snooze and list my emails are great.

1. Use Chrome on desktop it will parse all of your bookmarks from safari then open chrome on phone and you can get all of the bookmarks.
    2. No, I recommend nova launcher but the settings menus and notifications shade can't be changed.
    3. Try doubletwist for music. I like Neutron Music player better for sound quality reasons but doubletwist is what all my iTunes buddy's move to.
    Enjoy

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: New to Galaxy S5 coming from iPhone... few newb questions

How could you sync with Smart Switch? I backed up all my data from the iPhone to iCloud and when I try to use Smart Switch to transfer it to the S5 says: "Log in failed: There is no backup data in this account. Please Back up the data to iCloud". What am I doing wrong?