Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Adjustments and tricks to get the amazing Battery Life I'm getting

Hi guys.

Some of you won't even read this thread completely, some others maybe interested to know what I've done in the past couple of weeks to have the great battery life I'm getting right now, for the past couple of days, after I finished making all the adjustments I'm getting 6.50 - 7+ hours of screen time, twice as much as I was getting with my S4, 1.25+ more than I was getting during the days I used the M8 (no longer with me), so for those of you interested I decided to give you some hints and explained in details what I've done. Please remember that this is solely based on my needs and phone usage, so you do the adjustments that you think can fit your needs and leave the others as default.

Brightness and Display - I adapted myself since my S2 to use low brightness, I can say that about 20%, I only use the Auto option when I need it, but most of the time been at Home or at the office I don't need the brightness too high. I'm using Adapt Display after 1 year using Normal Mode in my S4, just for trying, so far it's good this way for me. My Screen Timeout is 1 minute, But if you don't need it on that long just leave it as default.
    Adjustments and tricks to get the amazing Battery Life I'm getting-screenshot_2014-04-28-08-37-35.png Adjustments and tricks to get the amazing Battery Life I'm getting-screenshot_2014-04-28-08-44-07.png

Bloatware - From the Samsung Apps I just left on of S Health, Smart Remote, Calendar and Memo, before disabling S-Voice (Just in case) I disabled the Home Key Activation, then I installed the Gear manager to be able to use my Gear 2 Neo. From Google I disabled Google Play Music (It has been in the past a Battery killer, maybe is better now but I have no use for it on this phone as I have all my music on my SD card) and Google Books, but installed a lot of other Google apps (I think the rest of them, jaja). I also disabled Polaris Office as I have other Office Suites purchased. And all the T-Mobile stuff. (All of these I've noticed that run on the background draining your battery)
    Adjustments and tricks to get the amazing Battery Life I'm getting-screenshot_2014-04-28-08-40-29.png Adjustments and tricks to get the amazing Battery Life I'm getting-screenshot_2014-04-28-08-40-40.png

WiFi - I turned off the Smart Network Switch, because when I'm at home or in the office, connected to my wifi, I move around a lot and I stay at wifi range edges a lot, so this feature can be switching on and off constantly and it will cause battery drain. then I turned off Network Identification as I don't need this, and one thing I have learned, at least in my case is that leaving the Wifi on all the time drains the battery a lot, so I changed the "Keep Wi-Fi on during Sleep" option to Only when Plugged in. I'm at T-Mobile, so I have the wifi calling feature, it's great but I leave it off until I need it.
    Adjustments and tricks to get the amazing Battery Life I'm getting-screenshot_2014-04-28-08-43-32.png Adjustments and tricks to get the amazing Battery Life I'm getting-screenshot_2014-04-28-08-43-22.png

TouchWiz features - I love TouchWiz, for me all the others Android Skins are plain and boring, so I use a lot most of it's features, but I just turn them on only when needed, there's a reason why we have those Toggles there, so I edit them and rearrange them in the order I want so I have it available when I need them. The only options I leave on all the time are the Motions and Gestures and Air View, because I use them all the time.
    Adjustments and tricks to get the amazing Battery Life I'm getting-screenshot_2014-04-28-08-37-58.png

Location - Just like I mentioned above, I just turn this on when needed, and even then just select if you can use the Power Saver mode. Also, I don't need Location reporting, but I do use the Location history for my Google Now and other Google Apps.
    Adjustments and tricks to get the amazing Battery Life I'm getting-ddd493a0-0c8e-46d4-85f5-ccb364c50a84.png

Google Now - Be sure the Location settings are in order with the above and I disabled the "OK Google" default feature as by it's nature, this is all the time on and "listening" waiting for the command.

Ultra Power Saving Mode - Great feature that I turn on every night while I sleep, in 7+ hours activated it has used only 1 % of battery.

Developer Options - Well this is something that I don't know exactly how it affected but for me it did something, let me explain, I decided to give it a try to the ART option on the Runtime System, I heard that for some it helped with the battery and performance so I did it, well it took a long time after it rebooted, and it took almost 1GB of my System memory just by doing this change, but I tried it for a day, after I saw that I didn't see any difference I could notice other than most available ROM, with Dalvik it was always using 1.40-1.5 of the 1.81 GB, with ART it went down to 1.1 and after 1 reboot I saw going to 1GB, so I like that, but, I began having the No-Response power button that some people have reported when trying to wake up the device I decided that I was going back, well, in a summary, it went back to Dalvik a lot quicker, I got my 1GB of Memory back, and for my surprise the ROM usage is lower than before, when I got the phone and until I did this, it was never lower than 1.4GB, but now after switching back I'm getting 1.2 most of the time. So I'm guessing that switching to the other one and back cleared some other stuff that was there by default. Why I'm letting you know this, well, immediately after I switched back to Dalvik I began noticing better battery life (I'm talking since Friday), it may be just a coincidence maybe not, but it won't hurt trying it if you don't find any other solution.

Well, that's all I can remember for now, if I remember something else I will post it as a follow-up, so I hope that this can be of some help to some of you new to Android and maybe some of you that are not new to Android but new to Samsung Galaxy line and are a little lost on how to have a better battery life.

For now, here it's my last Battery Stats, before I re-charged yesterday morning, I'm still at that Full Charge now, In full use now that I'm back at work and my Car Bluetooth connection and my Gear 2 Neo, so this afternoon I will have a better idea, but as of now I still have 33% battery left after 22hrs 48 mins on battery and 4h 38m Screen On time, so it seems to be going strong for 7 hrs of screen on time.

Adjustments and tricks to get the amazing Battery Life I'm getting-screenshot_2014-04-27-08-40-56.png Adjustments and tricks to get the amazing Battery Life I'm getting-screenshot_2014-04-27-08-41-05.png Adjustments and tricks to get the amazing Battery Life I'm getting-screenshot_2014-04-27-08-41-24.png
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Default Re: Adjustments and tricks to get the amazing Battery Life I'm getting

Simple way to extend battery life: leave on Ultra Power Saving when not using the apps which is most of the time. IT does all the tasks mentioned above and more.

I see you too have huge gaps in your mobile network signal under Battery > history details. Seems like it should be a solid bar. Mine is the same way as yours, as is a few other S5's of held and checked out. I thought this was just a glitch and meant nothing, HOWEVER, I got a voicemail the otherday just sitting here in my office. No missed call. I should have had service. A little scary.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
    Simple way to extend battery life: leave on Ultra Power Saving when not using the apps which is most of the time. IT does all the tasks mentioned above and more.
    Sorry, I forgot to mentioned that I'm activating the Ultra Power Saving feature while sleeping. Last night when I went to sleep I had 48% of battery left, this morning when I turned that off it was at 47%, so in 7+ hours it just used 1%. GREAT feature.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Abbott View Post
    I see you too have huge gaps in your mobile network signal under Battery > history details. Seems like it should be a solid bar. Mine is the same way as yours, as is a few other S5's of held and checked out. I thought this was just a glitch and meant nothing, HOWEVER, I got a voicemail the otherday just sitting here in my office. No missed call. I should have had service. A little scary.
    I know what you mean but that's normal for me, I mean it was the same with my S4 and I used it on AT&T, now I'm on T-Mobile, so don't really know what to say about it. But I can tell you that sice I got this phone on the 10th, I haven't missed a single call (at least that I'm aware of).

Global Posts
    5,569 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Nice write up OP, but you shouldn't have to cripple the device to get good battery life.
    "In God we trust....all others we investigate".

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    Nice write up OP, but you shouldn't have to cripple the device to get good battery life.
    Cripple? like I said, I have everything I use and think I will possibly use available or ON, the rest for me is not needed because either I used it and didn't like it or will never have a good use for it. So no my friend I don't think you are right saying that I have crippled my device to get better battery life.

Like I mentioned above, YMMV, so obviously you will adjust yours per your needs, but what I described above is what has been worked best for me.

Global Posts
    5,569 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by erasat View Post
    Cripple? like I said, I have everything I use and think I will possibly use available or ON, the rest for me is not needed because either I used it and didn't like it or will never have a good use for it. So no my friend I don't think you are right saying that I have crippled my device to get better battery life.

Like I mentioned above, YMMV, so obviously you will adjust yours per your needs, but what I described above is what has been worked best for me.
    Yes, cripple. You turn down the screen brightness to 20%.....this thing has a gorgeous display and it should be used as such.
    "In God we trust....all others we investigate".

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    Yes, cripple. You turn down the screen brightness to 20%.....this thing has a gorgeous display and it should be used as such.
    Well, again, those are my preferences, I use the Auto Mode when I'm not at home or at work (under a roof) so no, I know what a beautiful display this is because I use it frequently, but there's no need for me to have it illuminate my whole office or Family Room while watching TV or a movie.

Very nice and comprehensive post. Thanks for sharing with us. I will now try some of your recommendations.

Quick question - where can I find Google Now application? I couldn't find it neither in drawer or in App Manager. Is there a change I deleted it completely?

Google Now is in the app drawer as just "Google" on a blue icon. You can also access it by long pressing the home key.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by etaiso View Post
    Very nice and comprehensive post. Thanks for sharing with us. I will now try some of your recommendations.

Quick question - where can I find Google Now application? I couldn't find it neither in drawer or in App Manager. Is there a change I deleted it completely?
    If you have the Google search widget on any of your pages you will see that it has the OK Google command as default, to enter to its settings just click on the mic, or do any search, and once in there go to the settings by long pressing the Recent apps key and under Voice options you will find the OK Google hotword option, turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
    Google Now is in the app drawer as just "Google" on a blue icon. You can also access it by long pressing the home key.
    Thanks. Just figured it out that it was disabled in my Google Settings.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Follow up, I just arrived at home and even when I didn't get the 7 screen on time that I thought I'd have, I ended with 6 hours. My phone usage while working is very different than when I'm at home, plus connected receiving emails by the dozens, using Calendar, memo and other working stuff, plus the Mobile signal is at the borderline of bad, and it switches a lot from LTE to 4G and vice versa so getting 6 hours of screen time on over 30 hours on battery after a full day of work where my S4 was giving me not even 4 hours is really great and it keeps amazing me.

I am definitely going to try this out on my S5.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

S5 has a pretty damn good battery so I don't see the need. For myself, I only need the phone to last the entire day, which for me is 17 hours. From 7AM (full charge) to 12:AM I use the s**t out of my phone, when I go to bed, it's usually in the 30's or 40's. I guess if you don't want to charge your phone while you sleep, you may need to make adjustments.