Change which page is the "home" screen on the S5?

TomF

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I searched for this but didn't find anything so I'm posting this new thread.

This morning I took my phone out of my pocket to make a call and after I unlocked the phone the phone was doing a bunch of stuff by itself. It was as if someone was pressing buttons and the phone was switching screens, doing a search on Chrome, etc. I have the Otterbox Commuter case and my first thought was that somehow one of the buttons was being held down inadvertently. I tried locking and unlocking it again and then just kept pressing the home screen before the phone went back to normal. Nothing appeared to have changed, but after I used the phone, checked e-mail and texts, I pressed the button to go back to the home screen and it went to the second page. I pressed it again and it was still on the second page. That's when I noticed that the the Home icon was not on the first dot, it was on the second dot! So now my Home screen is the second screen, not the first screen.

Anyone experience this and/or know how to set which screen is the Home screen?

SanDeggo

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: Home screen moved to second page!

Hold down on the page you want as the Home page (Until it gets to the point that you can remove apps/short cuts and move them). There is a transparent icon the looks like an Arrow pointing up towards the top of the screen, it is actually a "Home" icon. Touch on the House button and it should fill in with white lines, it will now be your Home page again.

Hope this helps!

Chris Abbott

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site

When you long press a blank area, you can actually move the page by dragging. . You have to mess with it a bit, but I have mine set up so that the Home icon is in the middle, and there are 2 pages to the left, and 2 pages to the right of the home screen.

TomF

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the quick replies! I actually found this in the manual: This is from the Verizon User Manual, page 22:

Manage Home Screens

Your phone comes with four home screens by default, and
you can add more, up to a total of seven. You can also
rearrange the home screens in a different order.
1. From the Home screen, pinch the screen.
– or –
Touch and hold an empty space on the screen.
2. Use these options to manage screens:
• Add a screen: Scroll to the end of the screens, and then tap
on a screen to add it.
• Remove a screen: Touch and hold on a screen, and then
drag it to the Remove icon.
Set a screen as the main home screen: Tap at the
top of a screen. This screen displays when you press the
Home Key.

• Change the order of screens: Touch and hold on a screen,
and then drag to a new position

This is actually kind of a neat feature, being able to change your home screen. You could have one screen set as your home screen for personal stuff, then set it to a different screen for work, or set it to yet another screen when traveling to access your travel apps faster.

TomF

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site

When you long press a blank area, you can actually move the page by dragging. . You have to mess with it a bit, but I have mine set up so that the Home icon is in the middle, and there are 2 pages to the left, and 2 pages to the right of the home screen.

Had I known about this when I first got the phone, I probably would have made the middle button the home button just like all of my previous Android phones!

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

I think I've got it now. First pinch on a screen to get it mobile. Then do a long press to be able to move it. Then, if you want it as the primary home screen, tap the house symbol on top. To add home screens, just press the plus symbol if shown on a blank screen. To get rid of a home screen, move it up to the garbage icon.

byeblackberry

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Mine keeps doing the same thing when in my pocket. I know how to fix it but why is it doing it. While in my pocket it unlocks just by rubbing up against my pants. Try it. Wake your phone and then rub it up against your pants or shirt and the screen will wake. No finger needed.

Posted via Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Mine keeps doing the same thing when in my pocket. I know how to fix it but why is it doing it. While in my pocket it unlocks just by rubbing up against my pants. Try it. Wake your phone and then rub it up against your pants or shirt and the screen will wake. No finger needed.

Posted via Android Central App

Turn OFF Motions and Gestures.

The Home Key Button will awake the phone. I use a Draw the Pattern screen lock to prevent it from activating anything.

jackjbc

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Buttt-dialing or unwanted changes? Happens when I work out. Prevent by setting a lock screen so you have to swipe side-to-side: Menu / Settings / My phone / Lock screen / Screen lock / Swipe

Brendon Cocks

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Hold down on the page you want as the Home page (Until it gets to the point that you can remove apps/short cuts and move them). There is a transparent icon the looks like an Arrow pointing up towards the top of the screen, it is actually a "Home" icon. Touch on the House button and it should fill in with white lines, it will now be your Home page again.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. Its the second time it did it to me. Had me baffled. I like my home screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

DAVE_DROID

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I too, thought the "home" icon at the top of the screens were arrows showing the direction to swipe to the "Remove" trash can! Thanks for the heads up, I had accidentally changed my home screen and it was driving me nuts trying to figure out how to re-assign my old home screen!!

kawashilong

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART. I always let my 1 yr old nephew play with my phone bc he likes the music (daft punk- technologic is his fav) and one day i looked to see my home page different from the main home page. thank you sooo much!! :D:D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang