Email / MS Exchange will not sync when not on a WiFi Network

SinisterSturgeon

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
This is probably a configuration issue on my end that I cannot figure out the answer to....but when I am out of WiFi range, or I turn WiFi off my email wont sync or send and I get the error "Network Not Available: The message will be sent when the network is available" As soon as I turn wifi back on , it's fine. Is their a setting that tells an email account to only sync on WiFi? Or only send when on Wifi? It seems to ignore the 4G LTE network.

thanks for any suggestions

JK

ronwol

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Please post the solution if you found one, I am having the same issue, the microsoft exchange syncs only when my S5 is connected via wi fi.:(

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Did not work.....got an error message: "unable to sign or encrypt message. Certificate not installed" ??????

Sounds like a security policy error if it's a company email, did you get a security policy request ?

Have you deleted account and re created it ?

ronwol

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Reinstalled, don't get that message, but the problem is still there....yahoo and Gmail work both on 4G and wifi, and Ms exchange on wifi only.....t-mobile store replaced the Sim card....no change.....our company IT started a ticket with MS.....will keep you all posted...please let me know if you run into the same issue and/or find a solution....

ComputerLady

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I solved this issue for one of my Users today. We have Samsung Galaxy S5, using the Exchange Email services via Office 365, and Knox EMM. A User had suddenly been NOT able to send/receive emails via his Exchange account that's in the Knox Container unless he was on Wi-Fi. Everything else appeared to be working fine on Mobile Data only. We had checked numerous settings and I even tested his exchange account on my Samsung S4 and had no issue, so I knew it was the phone. Finally, I found reference to this solution from another forum hit I found. and got User to Go into Knox mode, then Go to Apps screen, Tap Settings , Tap Power Saving Options, the Tap the Power Saving Mode, with in there, are a few individual options, first one being the option to Restriction Data Usage to save Power.... Make sure this is UNchecked/off.. Hope that can help someone else because I was about to wipe this phone to try to resolve it. Note: my Samsung S4 does not have this option in/out of Knox (1.0) Container, so I'm assuming its an extended feature of the S5/or Knox 2.0 Power Saving options.

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue and found a fix by using the following steps:

Go to settings > under CONNECTIONS tap on Data Usage > scroll down below the graph until you see your email account and tap on it (mine was Exchange Services) > scroll down to the bottom of this page and uncheck the Restrict Background Data box > then back all the way out and try to sync your email without wifi.
Using the Restrict Background Data on the individual apps listed in the Data Usage section will allow or restrict apps from working if wifi is not available. This worked for me, hope it helps

Last edited:

Ron DiMicco

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes, this helped me. Apparently there are several places where you can restrict background data. You have to get them all for it to sync on data also. Just read forums until you get them all.

What worked for me: Go to settings, then data usage. Scroll down to breakdown of data usage and press on "Microsoft Exchange..." Click off the Restrict Background Data there.

Hope this helps someone!!

Last edited:

jkeene35

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
I have had the same problem on my Galaxy Note 4. I went to my security settings, then usage data access, the push the 3 dot menu top right and select reset app preferences. Even though my email app was not on the viewable list, it started syncing my emails immediately without wifi.

doriannec

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
THANK YOU!!!! I can't believe it was that simple! Even Verizon Wireless couldn't figure that out. Your solution fixed my issue. Thanks again for sharing it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan