Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Mst99
  • 1 Post By Mst99
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wanted to Upgrade

Hello all, I currently have a S3 32g with Sprint that I rooted for a few minor tweaks. The S5 seems to be a great phone, but there are some issues it has that will keep me from upgrading. The 16g only option right now I could live with. But the single antenna with these new tri band phones prevents the user from web and talk at the same time. That's a pretty big downgrade to me.
    So if I "upgrade" to the 5, I lose 16g of internal memory, the ability to talk and surf the web at the same time, and with Kit Kat can't move apps to sd. Also, I read the S5 on Sprint isn't pulling Lte very well or even at all. But I'm not positive on that. Maybe someone can confirm. So as far as the S5 goes, I'll have to pass . Maybe the talk and web issue will get resolved. But from what I read it's going to be quite awhile. It sux. I was looking forward to the S5. But on the bright side my S3 runs great and is still a pretty capable phone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Wanted to Upgrade

You also lose SVLTE.

Posted via Android Central App

Currently on sprint with the s5 and I can tell you firsthand it doesn't pick up 4g like it should and not as well as my gs4. Hope it's able to be fixed with an update but doubt it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mst99 View Post
    Hello all, I currently have a S3 32g with Sprint that I rooted for a few minor tweaks. The S5 seems to be a great phone, but there are some issues it has that will keep me from upgrading. The 16g only option right now I could live with. But the single antenna with these new tri band phones prevents the user from web and talk at the same time. That's a pretty big downgrade to me.
    So if I "upgrade" to the 5, I lose 16g of internal memory, the ability to talk and surf the web at the same time, and with Kit Kat can't move apps to sd. Also, I read the S5 on Sprint isn't pulling Lte very well or even at all. But I'm not positive on that. Maybe someone can confirm. So as far as the S5 goes, I'll have to pass . Maybe the talk and web issue will get resolved. But from what I read it's going to be quite awhile. It sux. I was looking forward to the S5. But on the bright side my S3 runs great and is still a pretty capable phone.

I'm in the same position as you. I have a Sprint S3 32gb. I'm currently waiting to get a battery for my S3 to extend its life till I get a new device this year, or next if need be. What rom are you running on your S3? I'm running Wicked Sensations. I may also be leaving Sprint this year with whatever new device I get. I'm basically sitting idle so I can make the right decisions. Thank God my S3 is running without problems, well, except for the battery not holding its charge that well. Nothing a new battery won't fix. Glad I have that option!
    Last edited by GrooveRite; 04-29-2014 at 08:52 AM.

same boat as you...why dont u think it will be fixed with an update?

why do you guys doubt it!!! lol
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by loveleelatina78 View Post
    why do you guys doubt it!!! lol
    http://mobile.geek.com/#/mobile/8514...seeable-future

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    I'm in the same position as you. I have a Sprint S3 32gb. I'm currently waiting to get a battery for my S3 to extend its life till I get a new device this year, or next if need be. What rom are you running on your S3? I'm running Wicked Sensations. I may also be leaving Sprint this year with whatever new device I get. I'm basically sitting idle so I can make the right decisions. Thank God my S3 is running without problems, well, except for the battery not holding its charge that well. Nothing a new battery won't fit. Glad I have that option!
    I'm running stock rom. I used to play around with custom roms on my S2, but now I don't bother. My S3 does blow right through batteries because I'm a heavy user. Having three batteries makes it irrelevant . I don't think I could ever own a phone without a removable battery. My buddy is always looking for an outlet for his iphone.

GrooveRite likes this.

Global Posts
    1,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

That's a Sprint issue about not being able to talk and surf the web at the same time. I have AT&T and I can talk and surf no problem. You can still move apps to the sd card. I moved a bunch with no problems. My S5 on AT&T is simply awesome. Sprint is rated pretty low when it comes to it's network.

Quote Originally Posted by Mst99 View Post

If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.

I have a simple solution for you -- V-E-R-I-Z-O-N.

The connection issue is mostly due to not all of their towers being fully upgraded to 4g. I say I doubt it because they seem to deny it in a few forums that I've read on their community page. I'm holding on for now since the tower in my town is the only one not upgraded in the surrounding area so hopefully it's 4g capable soon

I see...makes sense except that Im on LTE now in my house and at first I thought I wouldn't receive calls or text while on it but thats fine I tested it. all I did was change some settings in the LTE section...not sure if it will continue to work but so far so good

Welcome to Android Central OP...ENJOY
    Android4life

I am on Verizon, and I can use talk and web at the same time.
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5

Would sending pictures while talking to someone be considered talk and data??

Global Posts
    1,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Yes... pics are converted to MMS and thus use data when sent.

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    Would sending pictures while talking to someone be considered talk and data??

Global Posts
    1,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

The S5 is an awesome device.... Sprint is an awful carrier. Switch to AT&T or Verizon.

Unlimited data is the big reason people stay with sprint. Why pay a premium for limited data? Just got my sprint bill for $89. I think I'll stick with them.

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

Actually Sprint is one of the very few that support MMS over WiFi which means when you are on a WiFi connection it uses that to send a pic or video and not your data. So you can be talking on the phone and send a pic to another friend if you want.

Also I bet by summer Sprint rolls out the update to enable WiFi calling! Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by hardrocker89 View Post
    Unlimited data is the big reason people stay with sprint. Why pay a premium for limited data? Just got my sprint bill for $89. I think I'll stick with them.

Unlimited data that can only be used when you're on wifi. Great deal.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    Mst99 
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Dumped Sprint for Verizon and a S5. After 12 years with them and their wimax, then lte, and now spark all lacking, finally jumped ship!