Is It Necessary To Format The SD Card First?

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I was reading a couple articles about formatting the sd card when you first put it in your phone. I never did this. I got the phone, put the sd card in and powered it up. I have NOT had any issues whatsoever. Does it matter?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I was reading a couple articles about formatting the sd card when you first put it in your phone. I never did this. I got the phone, put the sd card in and powered it up. I have NOT had any issues whatsoever. Does it matter?

Hello. A typical format for an SD Card would be Fat32 but it can read other formats just fine (like ExFat as previously mentioned).

ExFat supports large files whereas Fat32 supports up to 4GB files only.

Wizzrah | AT&T HTC One XL | Tapatalk

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Alright... I moved all apps that were on the sd card back to device storage, performed the format and moved the apps back on to it. Will I notice any change?

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I formated the sd card. As I stated before... I didn't format it before I first started using it and I didn't have any issues. Will I notice any improvements now that it is formated?

Hello. A typical format for an SD Card would be Fat32 but it can read other formats just fine (like ExFat as previously mentioned).

ExFat supports large files whereas Fat32 supports up to 4GB files only.

Wizzrah | AT&T HTC One XL | Tapatalk

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I formated the sd card. As I stated before... I didn't format it before I first started using it and I didn't have any issues. Will I notice any improvements now that it is formated?

I don't notice any difference in performance on my phone.