Samsung Galaxy S5 setup problem: Can't get past Welcome/Select Language Screen!

romi_kler

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I just opened my new Samsung Galaxy S5 and was trying to setup the phone but the setup wizard is stuck on the first Welcome screen. I inserted the SIM and it still will not go past this first screen and it actually won't even let me change the language. Any help would be great!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Turn the phone off then hold down the volume and home buttons simultaneously then pressing the power button. This will take you into the recovery. From there, select factory data reset

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

romi_kler

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi dpham00,

I just tried that and it took me to the same "Welcome" setup page but this time it said SAFE MODE in the bottom left corner. It still wouldn't let me select anything and there was no factory data reset option on the screen. Is ther anything else I can do?

romi_kler

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Turn the phone off then hold down the volume and home buttons simultaneously then pressing the power button. This will take you into the recovery. From there, select factory data reset

Hi dpham00,

I just tried that and it took me to the same "Welcome" setup page but this time it said SAFE MODE in the bottom left corner. It still wouldn't let me select anything and there was no factory data reset option on the screen. Is ther anything else I can do?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Then you did it wrong. With phone off, you need to press the three buttons simultaneously and hold. Once something appears on the screen then you can let go. It should take you to recovery.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Typically, the first Samsung screen is where you let go. If you see a blue colored type in the upper left, that is another indication to let go.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Typically, the first Samsung screen is where you let go. If you see a blue colored type in the upper left, that is another indication to let go.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

On my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3, you can hold forever and it will take you to the recovery. But on the tmobile Note 3, holding it too long would cause it to boot normally

Marcos Gomes2

Oct 18, 2017
Visit site
I just opened my new Samsung Galaxy S5 and was trying to setup the phone but the setup wizard is stuck on the first Welcome screen. I inserted the SIM and it still will not go past this first screen and it actually won't even let me change the language. Any help would be great!

It's been a while but, did you make any progress? I got a S5 with this same exact problem. It almost seems like the touch isn't working anymore even though it didn't suffer any physical damage.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante