How to sync contacts with gmail account?

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I have checked settings-accounts and everything is checked to sync and it shows it sync'd earlier today but when I log into my gmail account and select contacts there is nothing there. How do I go about backing up this information to my gmail account? Thanks!

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
When you say slidebar do you mean in my gmail account on a computer or on the phone? If on the phone where do I go to see it? Thanks!

AZwldcats

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Full settings Accounts Google Click email address

Synch Contacts should be checked.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I looked and everything is checked but contacts still not showing up in my gmail account when I log into it on a computer... weird.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I have had a gmail account for 3 years plus.

A few months back, the email just plain quit working regardless of how it was accessed. From the phone or via the web off a PC.

emails sent to my gmail account just simply never arrived. The inbox was empty for most of this year.

I did a lot of stuff trying to get it to work. I even created a couple of new gmail accounts for testing and they both worked. As my internet world sort of revolves around the base gmail account, I hated to delete it. I did that once to try and recreate it. Google will NOT allow that and I lost my favorite account name.

Finally, I decided to just delete the gmail account off of the phone totally, but not the gmail account itself in Google.

I cruised along for a while with just my Yahoo account and things were okay, but Play Store would not work right. I had to download .apk files and that is a pain.

Then I decided add the gmail account back onto the phone. It went thru the normal gyrations we have all seen on the "first startup" and then something wonderful happened. After I got the message "configuring gmail servers", the phone started working with Play Store, gmail was suddenly available on the web. It would receive messages! Then I added gmail as an email account and it works.

and it all syncs up correctly.

long way around the barn yard to suggest that you delete your gmail account off the phone, and redo it again.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Think I would have gone into the App manager and Cleared the Cache and Data in Gmail app first before deleting the acct. and starting over.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I have checked settings-accounts and everything is checked to sync and it shows it sync'd earlier today but when I log into my gmail account and select contacts there is nothing there. How do I go about backing up this information to my gmail account? Thanks!
Make sure that when you're saving your contacts on your phone you are saving them to your Gmail account not the SIM card option or the save to phone option that's the only thing I can think of.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Think I would have gone into the App manager and Cleared the Cache and Data in Gmail app first before deleting the acct. and starting over.

You missed the part where I said that gmail on the web was broken, it would NOT ever receive messages period.

I could create and send an email, but no emails ever arrived in my https://mail.google.com account.
What I did forced something to fix the server settings and everything works.

On the web and on the phone.
The cache on the phone has no effect what so ever with the web account. It was broken long long before the s5 ever arrived on the scene.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Open phone app, settings>contacts>import/export>import from SD card, then choose your google account.

Posted with my badass Galaxy S5

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Posting here in case helpful to anyone.
settings>contacts>import/export>export to SD card , then upload that to Google drive.

Go to google contacts on web and import the contact.vcf you save earlier and all your contacts will be online too.

jtboney

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
How to backup my contacts on my Galaxy S5

Hi, I am brand new to android and I am struggling with just about everything. If things dont change in the next 5 days I am going back to an IPhone, even though I hate Apple. I am trying to back up my contacts mostly. I have a lot and they are invaluable to me. I just cant imagine losing them and not having a way to get them back.

EVERY instructions I read on the net tell me to do something that just isnt on my phone. Short for instance, one on this site says
" Go to your contacts app. Go to settings in top right corner. Click merge contacts"

First of all there is nothing in the top right corner that says settings. There is a series of three dots that when you click on them, it gives you a settings option. If you click on settings from there, it has two choices: Call or Contacts. If you click on contacts there is not a choice to merge contacts. There are several things to click on but none of them say merge contacts. I assume they meant link contacts. When I click on that I get the message: NO CONTACTS.

Somebody please help.....

Last edited:

Tyson_K9

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to backup my contacts on my Galaxy S5

Hi, I am brand new to android and I am struggling with just about everything. If things dont change in the next 5 days I am going back to an IPhone, even though I hate Apple. I am trying to back up my contacts mostly. I have a lot and they are invaluable to me. I just cant imagine losing them and not having a way to get them back.

EVERY instructions I read on the net tell me to do something that just isnt on my phone. Short for instance, one on this site says
" Go to your contacts app. Go to settings in top right corner. Click merge contacts"

First of all there is nothing in the top right corner that says settings. There is a series of three dots that when you click on them, it gives you a settings option. If you click on settings from there, it has two choices: Call or Contacts. If you click on contacts there is not a choice to merge contacts. There are several things to click on but none of them say merge contacts. I assume they meant link contacts. When I click on that I get the message: NO CONTACTS.

Somebody please help.....

Tyson_K9

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Open the contact that you want to merge; then click the settings icon (3 dots) on the top right. Click edit. Click settings (again). Click Join; then seach for and select the contact you want to merge with. Click Save. You will need to repeat the steps for any other multiple entries.

Onelastcast

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I gave up on trying to sync my contacts. I will periodically repeat these steps and update my contact information in google. At least I am guaranteed never to loose them. Hope this helps!!!!!

Open contacts
Tap 3 dots on right side
Tap select
Tap select all
Tap share symbol located to the left of the trash can
Share name card via Gmail
Send the share name card email to your gmail account
Go to your gmail and open the email
Tap the file you sent yourself
File should automatically open in your contacts, add them to the list

sheribirkelbach

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
I gave up on trying to sync my contacts. I will periodically repeat these steps and update my contact information in google. At least I am guaranteed never to loose them. Hope this helps!!!!!

THIS WORKED! THANK YOU!

Open contacts
Tap 3 dots on right side
Tap select
Tap select all
Tap share symbol located to the left of the trash can
Share name card via Gmail
Send the share name card email to your gmail account
Go to your gmail and open the email
Tap the file you sent yourself
File should automatically open in your contacts, add them to the list
11-02-2014, 08:45 AMTyson_K9
Open the contact that you want to merge; then click the settings icon (3 dots) on the top right. Click edit. Click settings (again). Click Join; then seach for and select the contact you want to merge with. Click Save. You will need to repeat the steps for any other multiple entries.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance