Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    Fresh

Default Coming from iPhone - S5 slower interface?

Hey guys: I have had my phone since launch day and one thing I have noticed is that the interface seems slower than my old iPhone 4s. A few examples: launching apps, clicking the home button and getting to the home page, taking a picture with the camera (holy crap, sometimes this is so slow I miss the picture and yes I lowered the resolution and turned off image stabilization), the screen waking up when pulling it away from my face after or during a call. I'm not talking like so slow I want to trade it back in but slow enough where I find myself slightly irritated because I notice the difference. The processor in this thing is insane so I expected it to be snappier than the iPhone. Am I crazy and imagining it, or have you guys noticed the lag too? Is Samsung good at updating their software to fix these kinds of issues?

Global Posts
    1,220 Global Posts

Default Re: Coming from iPhone - S5 slower interface?

Quote Originally Posted by keri2000 View Post
    Hey guys: I have had my phone since launch day and one thing I have noticed is that the interface seems slower than my old iPhone 4s. A few examples: launching apps, clicking the home button and getting to the home page, taking a picture with the camera (holy crap, sometimes this is so slow I miss the picture and yes I lowered the resolution and turned off image stabilization), the screen waking up when pulling it away from my face after or during a call. I'm not talking like so slow I want to trade it back in but slow enough where I find myself slightly irritated because I notice the difference. The processor in this thing is insane so I expected it to be snappier than the iPhone. Am I crazy and imagining it, or have you guys noticed the lag too? Is Samsung good at updating their software to fix these kinds of issues?
    TouchWiz slows everything down. Try a different home launcer and that "should" help you out a little. I have an iPhone 5s also and IMO its definitely smoother overall then the Galaxy s5, but the screen on the Galaxy has me hooked.

Are you shooting in the dark?
    That might be the only place the camera takes some time to focus as low light makes it difficult to acquire focus. But then I imagine its the same with most phones.
    And no, the S5 is not slower than an iPhone 4S (really?), every test proves it's the fastest phone out there today.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    Fresh

Nope I'm not shooting in the dark. Sometimes it takes up to 4 seconds to take the picture. Also I have seen the benchmarks and understand the tests show this phone is faster however I compared my friend's iPhone with mine with simple tasks like pressing the home button and hers went to the home screen faster. She has a 4s. I'll try Nova Launcher today. Should I really have to replace my launcher?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    Fresh

Lynx I am right there with you about the screen. There's no going back for me.

Go and disable the s voice home button short cut because by default it waits for a second click which would launch s voice. And disabling or shortening transition animation to .5 from the default 1 makes the phone feel snappier
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    Fresh

So just some comparisons. It took roughly 1 second longer for my phone to go home than hers. Also it took almost 2 seconds longer to open the camera and phone apps. I tried Nova Launcher and that didn't change a thing.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    Fresh

Quote Originally Posted by _Zguy__ View Post
    Go and disable the s voice home button short cut because by default it waits for a second click which would launch s voice. And disabling or shortening transition animation to .5 from the default 1 makes the phone feel snappier
    No can do. I use the s voice feature. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Go to developer options and make every transition scale 0.5x. If you dont know how to access developer options then google it

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app
    Proud owner of :
    Galaxy S4 rooted
    Galaxy Note 3 rooted
    Galaxy S5 rooted

From my own testing at stores, I think the iPhone's are in general faster and smoother than any phone on the market as far as the OS navigation goes. I think the HTC one m8, moto x and perhaps nexus phones are closest to it if not faster. The galaxy phones are known to have a bit of lag though from people's suggestions here, that lag should be reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by satannik View Post
    Go to developer options and make every transition scale 0.5x. If you dont know how to access developer options then google it

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app
    Unhide developer options:
    Settings>>about phone>>tap build number 7 times.
    Developer options will be available.

Quote Originally Posted by sdsubball23 View Post
    From my own testing at stores, I think the iPhone's are in general faster and smoother than any phone on the market as far as the OS navigation goes. I think the HTC one m8, moto x and perhaps nexus phones are closest to it if not faster. The galaxy phones are known to have a bit of lag though from people's suggestions here, that lag should be reduced.
    Well yeah...its doing a **** ton less behind the scenes and is ostensibly a giant app launcher.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by OceanView View Post
    And no, the S5 is not slower than an iPhone 4S (really?), every test proves it's the fastest phone out there today.
    There is something wrong if it's slower than the 4S - I also came from a 4S and the S5 is faster. I did disable most of the Samsung BS though so that may be part of it. Sometimes it bogs down, just like the 4s so nothing is immune.

Also, it is not the fastest phone out there:
    Galaxy S5 Vs iPhone 5s Vs HTC One M8: Benchmark tests compared | BGR

The M8 is generally faster and the iPhone 5S is also faster in many benchmarks.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    Fresh

Just a quick update. I watched the video at the following link: http://www.droid-life.com/2014/04/30...uchwiz-basics/ and found that all of the presses this guy makes are very fast. My phone is way slower to open apps and go home. There must be something wrong with mine. I have minimal apps installed so maybe I just need a hard reset. I'll report back later.

Did you disable SVoice launching from the home button...that thing is a resource sucker.

Posted via Android Central App