Frustration with Battery Cover on Galaxy S5

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm so afraid the battery cover is going to come off....is anyone else worrying about this? It feels so flimsy, and it seems after some use it's going to snap off. I just don't feel there is any way it is going to last a year or two. I can't imagine it lasting more than a month or two. Thinking of of setting it up for wireless charging...

They already have replacement parts for a phone that's weeks old..

http://www.witrigs.com/oem-usb-cover-flap-for-samsung-galaxy-s5-sm-g900f

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm so afraid the battery cover is going to come off....is anyone else worrying about this? It feels so flimsy, and it seems after some use it's going to snap off. I just don't feel there is any way it is going to last a year or two. I can't imagine it lasting more than a month or two. Thinking of of setting it up for wireless charging...

They already have replacement parts for a phone that's weeks old..

USB Cover Flap for Galaxy S5 - Witrigs.com

Of course they have replacement parts - they want your money.

All I can say is be careful with the cover when using it. I will take a peek at what is available for wireless charging but I absolutely hate the S-View cover that is out now. Hopefully they will come out with just a back for it but then I wonder if it will charge with a case on it.

[Inappropriate language removed by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Of course they have replacement parts - they want your money.

All I can say is be careful with the cover when using it. I will take a peek at what is available for wireless charging but I absolutely hate the S-View cover that is out now. Hopefully they will come out with just a back for it but then I wonder if it will charge with a case on it.

[Inappropriate language removed by moderator]

Haha yeah pretty much dude. BTW here's the official cover: Amazon.com: Samsung Wireless Charging Cover for Samsung Galaxy S5 - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
It seems to be almost an exact replica of the one that's on our phones now, just wireless capable. I don't know why the hell Samsung didn't just use a wireless capable back cover in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

Does "your phone maintains its original style and slim profile" mean that the phone will still fit into standard protective cases designed for the S5?
A:
Yes. The wireless charging cover is exactly the same thickness as the original cover. From this page (http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EP-CG900IBUSTA): "The Wireless Battery Cover was designed by Samsung to seamlessly match the look and feel of your Galaxy S 5 ensuring that your phone...
See more | See all 2 answers

nmccart

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what girth it adds.

The wireless charging cover is exactly the same thickness as the original cover. From Samsung: Galaxy S 5 Wireless Charging Cover, Black: "The Wireless Battery Cover was designed by Samsung to seamlessly match the look and feel of your Galaxy S 5 ensuring that your phone maintains its original style and slim profile."

My question is how Amazon is quoting me: Usually ships within 1 to 4 months.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why the hell it would take up to 4 months to get one. There's no way anyone's battery cover will last that long.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it will come off... On my S4 it lasted over a year
Also I have a case which covers the back of the phone, ensuring the back cover won't come off

You should get a case

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Thats before I sold it to get the S5 lol but I am sure it would have lasted even if I had kept it

I really hope you are right. I was drunk last night and was trying to stick the USB in upside down lol and probably wiggled it more than I should have, when you dislodge it, it sticks straight out like it's at attention. I know I should be more careful, but I also don't think I should have to....I mean hell, they should have just made the charging port water proof like the headphone jack and maybe a panel that slides into place AND they should have included a wireless charging capable back cover on it instead of selling it for 30 bucks and taking 1-4 months to get to you.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
If you memorize and carefully follow this procedure, the battery cover tab will not break:

When inserting the USB 3.0 cable, do not twist the cover up or down. That will place pressure on the cover tab and break it. Instead, just open it slightly with a finger nail, lay the S5 down on a flat surface next to the USB 3.0 connector. Then slide the connector towards the cover slowly pressing it to a 90 degree pitch. Then slide the connector into the open port. The cover should rest at a 90 degree pitch parallel to the side of the connector as the charging takes place.

Even if you break the cover tab, the cover will still work by pressing it firmly into the port. The only purpose of the cover tab is to prevent losing the cover.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why the hell it would take up to 4 months to get one. There's no way anyone's battery cover will last that long.

The battery cover on the s5 is no different than other samsung phones. I've seen countless smashed and damaged samsungs, many that are well beyond the 2 years too, not once have I seen a battery cover fall off or break. Your cover isn't going to fail in a few months.

By the way the wireless covers are built the same, it won't feel any less flimsy.

Posted via Android Central App

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
The battery cover on the s5 is no different than other samsung phones. I've seen countless smashed and damaged samsungs, many that are well beyond the 2 years too, not once have I seen a battery cover fall off or break. Your cover isn't going to fail in a few months.

By the way the wireless covers are built the same, it won't feel any less flimsy.

I meant the USB cover thingy...sorry....that thing is unstable as all get out and I am hearing from people that have had it break off within hours of purchasing.

Posted via Android Central App

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I really hope you are right. I was drunk last night and was trying to stick the USB in upside down lol and probably wiggled it more than I should have, when you dislodge it, it sticks straight out like it's at attention. I know I should be more careful, but I also don't think I should have to....I mean hell, they should have just made the charging port water proof like the headphone jack and maybe a panel that slides into place AND they should have included a wireless charging capable back cover on it instead of selling it for 30 bucks and taking 1-4 months to get to you.

Are you talking about the flap that covers the charging port or the actual battery cover?

-Sent from Tapatalk

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
everybody else seems to be talking about the battery cover, instead of the charging flap...so much confusion..lol

I should not have posted so early lol. I dunno, I talked to this dude who said his S4 had one and it didn't break for the year he had it...so....*shrugs* .....BUT, even if you take a coat hanger made of metal and bend it back and forth for ten minutes it will snap. Wondering how a piece of plastic and a dab of glue is going to withstand hundreds of manipulations.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
The wireless charging cover is exactly the same thickness as the original cover. From Samsung: Galaxy S 5 Wireless Charging Cover, Black: "The Wireless Battery Cover was designed by Samsung to seamlessly match the look and feel of your Galaxy S 5 ensuring that your phone maintains its original style and slim profile."

My question is how Amazon is quoting me: Usually ships within 1 to 4 months.

That's a typical indication from Amazon that they aren't in stock yet but that could change at any point. I do have it saved in my "wishlist".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7