Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Default Galaxy S5: Private Mode not avaialble in ART Runtime, but is in DALVIK?

Has anyone switched over to using the ART Runtime under developer options instead of DALVIK, and then had issues using the "Private Mode" option?

I switched over to ART yesterday to see any real difference (nothing big I experienced, except three times longer wait while optimizing applications), then later in the afternoon also wanted to try out the "Private Mode" for documents/ files etc... and it would not work.

Is this due to it being a different file system type or what?

Default Re: Galaxy S5: Private Mode not avaialble in ART Runtime, but is in DALVIK?

Same thing for me. Galaxy S5(G900F). Private mode works fine on Dalvik. Convert to ART and Private mode stops. Switch back to Dalvik, it works again.
    Unfortunately I use Private mode a lot so I can't use ART.
    Definitely incompatible runtime environment. See here for info. https://source.android.com/devices/tech/dalvik/art.html
    ART is only on the phone for developers etc. at this stage, not a full supported version.
    So until an update comes out for ART to allow Private mode, and/or Dalvik is officially replaced by ART, I'm stuck with Dalvik.
    It'll happen eventually.

Default Re: Galaxy S5: Private Mode not avaialble in ART Runtime, but is in DALVIK?

Quote Originally Posted by ziva2006 View Post
    Has anyone switched over to using the ART Runtime under developer options instead of DALVIK, and then had issues using the "Private Mode" option?

I switched over to ART yesterday to see any real difference (nothing big I experienced, except three times longer wait while optimizing applications), then later in the afternoon also wanted to try out the "Private Mode" for documents/ files etc... and it would not work.

Is this due to it being a different file system type or what?

Well, for technical reasons ART Runtime does not work with Private Mode. But you can create a folder on your device named .Private (basically .name (replace name with folder name)) and it will work the exact same way. To be able to view the file, go into ES File Browser (or My Files) settings and tick the box "view hidden files".

Quote Originally Posted by Pichu Generations View Post
    Well, for technical reasons ART Runtime does not work with Private Mode. But you can create a folder on your device named .Private (basically .name (replace name with folder name)) and it will work the exact same way. To be able to view the file, go into ES File Browser (or My Files) settings and tick the box "view hidden files".
    I never knew this thanx worked perfectly

Posted via the Android Central App